Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Aussie Getaways
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Where are all the Aussie Getaways? There must be a few out there. We now have a fleet of two racing regularly in Ballina NSW. They are certainly a great and versatile boat; good for a family cruise and great fun one up in a stiff breaze. I personally feel that the American yardstick of .85 is a bit harsh, especially in light wind. Would be interested in any other opinions.
Also does anyone know the best way to repair scratches (battle scars) on the poly hulls?
Happy Sailing,
Omallycat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Omallycat,

They may be here...

http://www.hobiecat.asn.au/bb/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:27 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Omallycat

There was a discussion about yardsticks on about Dec 20 2004 after I asked a similar question. A Getaway sailer from Melbourne replied. You should have a look at that posting. I race our Getaway with Wallerawang Sailing Club, in inland NSW (near Lithgow), and use a yardstick of 0.90. My fellow club members seem to be happy with this. My experience racing against other cats from time to time shows the getaway to be about the same pace as a 14 foot cat.

It would be great to race against or cruise with some other Australian Getaways.

I see there is a Getaway up for sale from your area on boat point at the moment.

Eugene (Bathurst)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi BxAustralia, Sorry I missed your reply till now. 0.90 sounds pretty fair to me. That would put me about where I'm sailing on a good day, which isnot toofar behind the nacra 4.5s which are at 0.88. I used to beat one of them but the lady who sails it has got better and now leaves me in her wake. I'll have to have a wee chat to our handicapper!! The Getaway that was for sale is mine but I've decided to keep it for now cos a friend at the club has bought another one. Its nice to have some direct competition instead of being left behind by all the nacras and H16s etc. The Getaway is certainly a good boat and my wife and I really enjoy racing in enviable comfort. Last time out the safety boat pulled alongside and asked for 2 Lattes to go!
Perhaps we'll have the opportunity to sail together one day, meanwhile keep the fast buggers honest and enjoy the comfort.
Regards,
OmallyCat.
(Dave)
PS: are you aware of the Aus Hobie forum;
http://www.hobiecat.asn.au/bb
also catsailor.net has a good one;
http://www.catsailor.net/cgi-bin/Ultima ... tion=intro

Post subject: Aussie Getaways
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Now I feel vindicated. At the age of 50 I had to tone things down a bit but I had to keep sailing Hobies so I bought a Getaway. Now that I know that even the haul ass, crazy Aussies are even sailing them I feel batter.
Canadian Cat