Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Anyone here do a lot of photography with pro gear from a Kayak? I want to bring my Canon 7D and 100-400L lens along but I need a plan to deal with the possibility of tipping the Kayak over. A good dry bag should do but I was thinking about a waterproof chest pack so it would be handy if I fount something to shoot.

Any ideas on methods or waterproof products?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

What happened to the reply earlier, it disappeared.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:26 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Sorry, that's me. Upon reflection, the reply didn't really address your question so I withdrew it. Perhaps someone with experience in professional equipment protection on the water might have some suggestions? 8)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

There are a couple options---well, I see 3 from cheap to pricey. One is to get one of the dry bags with a fold-over seal, and attach it to the boat with a lanyard. Of course, you will be unable to photograph unless you take the rig out of the bag, then you're at the mercy of the salt spray, possibility of upset, etc. There is the option of a waterproof soft bag with window, like this one for $130 from various web sites:

http://www.waterproofcases.net/slrcamera.html

I used something like that with my Nikon F4 film SLR, back in the day. But it was a bit clumsy. There are no submersible hard cases for that size camera with a tele lens.

I finally realized that taking several thousand bucks worth of SLR gear on a kayak is just not a good idea, and bought an Xacti by Sanyo----will take U/W shots, is HD, and takes stills. Nowhere near the quality of an SLR, but it's submersible, less than $300, and easy to use.

You can get an Ikelite hard case for the 7D, but be prepared to spend $1500 or so for true underwater capability.

http://www.ikelite.com/web_two/can_7d.html

If you have a Canon G10, you can get form Amazon a nice U/W housing for $170 that is good to 130 feet down, and has fluorite glass window for distortion-free pix.

Lastly, Ikelite has several camera and case packages that might serve, mostly the point/shoot variety, but you didn't state what sorts of subjects you'll be stalking.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I really need the reach of the 400mm lens for birds so a point and shoot is out of the question. I have read about many pro photographers that bring such gear on kayaks without incident but they don’t mention how they store their gear.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Got the kayak from my dealer today much earlier then I thought. Very nice Blue Oasis. Looking for monopod camera mounts and trying to determine what accessories I need.

Thanks for all the ideas so far.
:D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have done photography for the past two years or so from my Oasis with SLR gear (Canon 5D + 17-40/70-200/300 and recently bought 7D as well). I store camera in a simple Ortlieb drybag when not actively shooting. Obviously, when shooting it needs to be taken out. I do that with great care and concentration and strap the camera around my neck as soon as I get it out of the bag. The ortlieb bag I use can easily accommodate 7D + 300/4 + 1.4x and still fit inside Oasis via the 8" hatch. I have also custom-fitted the inside of the drybag with some homemade padding. Works well and is waterproof.

I have found that shooting from hands is the only option, it is far too difficult to get the camera aligned and stable enough if you would mount it to some kind of monopod or similar support solution that would be mounted directly to the kayak.

Oasis is not eager to tip over, although I haven't really used it in rough weather.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks, what ortlieb bag will carry a 8" long lens, the only ones I've seen would only carry a 3-4" long lens at most.

BTW, thanks for the reply, I was looking for someone with real world experience using a camera setup similar to mine.

Also I was interested in a monopod mount for video only, maybe something in the mast mount.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:06 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I think I have Ortlieb PD 350 35L version. Just measured it and the height fully open is about 60cm.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Aali wrote:
I think I have Ortlieb PD 350 35L version. Just measured it and the height fully open is about 60cm.

Ahh, that's a dry pouch not a chest pack. I need quick access so that wouldn’t work but thanks anyway

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:42 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

kingdaddy wrote:
Thanks, what ortlieb bag will carry a 8" long lens, the only ones I've seen would only carry a 3-4" long lens at most.

BTW, thanks for the reply, I was looking for someone with real world experience using a camera setup similar to mine.

Also I was interested in a monopod mount for video only, maybe something in the mast mount.

Can't see much use for the monopod or rig. You need your hands free to get the horizons straight. I use regular dry bags with the 100-400L and the Sigma 150-500...even bigger. I have an Outback and I can just get the camera w/ lens mounted through my 8" Twist and lock hold, while in its bag. I always have two cameras with me, Infrared/Color or Tele/wide. I'm usually carrying over $5000 in cameras on the water. While I take precautions, I don't make it such a big deal that I'm too nervous to use the gear. Having the stability of the Outback helps, but even more, having my gear insured makes it much easier.
If you interested in what you can shoot from the kayak, check some of these images;
http://is.gd/7snT6N
or
http://kuiphoff.smugmug.com/Landscapes/Kayaking

Best Regards,
"See the Light"
photography by Christian Kuiphoff
http://kuiphoff.smugmug.com/

Last edited by wingr-outback on Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:50 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Very nice shots! I especially like your infrared work. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Roadrunner wrote:
Very nice shots! I especially like your infrared work. 8)

Thank you Roadrunner!

Fixed the link displays too.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My tips:

1) get a stable boat

2) get a tamron 70-300vc lens...not as much reach as your 100-400L, but its a great lens and less than 400 after rebate...which is part of tip 3...

3) don't bring your best stuff...I have the relatively cheap tamron vs either the expensive 70-200 2.8 or the huge sigma 150-500. And a D200 vs newer body...good sealing and relatively cheap all things considered.

4) start slowly...take your backup equipment out until you get comfortable with the whole thing...I used my old d70 and 18-70 kit lens. Was shocked at how well the 70 did (not much reach there). But at least if something goes wrong, it won't take your best equipment down...and it'll get you a chance to get used to things

5) Use a lens hood...will help keep spray off lens, and if you wear the cam around your neck for those moments while you are 'hunting' it will keep the lens protected as it bobs back and forth hitting your pfd :)

6) get a UV filter...youll be cleaning the surface often...i'd rather be hitting the filter than the glass...also, "stuff happens" on the boat, so get the protection.

7) you can get a personal articles floater from your insurance company. It helps when your personal articles start floating :) aka an inland marine policy, its basically all-risk coverage with zero deductible and can cover issues you may have in the water...but don't plan on making more than 1 claim :)