Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Trax2 cart with the 24cm Balloon wheels is pushed to its limit when under a TI. The 40kg per wheel capacity is exceeded and although the new style wheels have been reliable and robust a higher capacity cart with better flotation is needed. Some have opted for the 30cm wheel and custom carts -eg Hobienutters clever mod viewtopic.php?f=70&t=34613 or the brilliant Batcart.
Here in Aus that wheel is very expensive and with a 7" hub width requires a very wide axle.
This mod involves adding 2 extra 24cm balloon wheels that fit between the existing wheels. It is relatively inexpensive and lifts the capacity of the Trax 2 to 160kg . The wheels are noticeably less loaded and flotation is greatly improved.

Using a Dremel grind off the 4 tiny welds that locate the axle. Remove the axle,
clean the welds up and thread wheels on through the frame. Measure the distance between wheels and cut spacers to suit. I used thin SS tube and 1/2"washers. There is no need to reweld the axle as the spacers and wheel locks hold it all together. The QR Wheeleez knobs can be replaced with R clips for added security if problems arise. (Keep an eye on the horizontal cross tube as the welding there may need to be redone)

There's no mistaking those tracks.

It should be noted that some have reported scupper damage with the weight of the loaded TI actually pushing the tubes up through the hull deck. Next mod will be a cradle that sits along the cart much like Slaughter has posted about previously viewtopic.php?f=71&t=34676

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Stringy - interesting mod !
I agree - the Trax2 cart & beach wheels really don't handle the TI.
This is particularly evident when you are loaded up with camping equipment.
I'm not so keen on the increased flotation though - I already find it difficult to insert and remove the cart whilst in water and have added water to the wheels to reduce the amount of buoyancy. :roll:
With the addition of the cradle to spread the weight over a larger area, it will be an excellent transportation solution - particularly if it can still be stored upside down in the TI scupper holes.

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

BRILLIANT!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mate, you could flog that design off to the Army for rubber ducky beach assults. Great mod.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have a set of the beach wheels, plus a set of the foam filled non deflating ones. Between them they cope pretty well with most terrain. I wonder how your mod would go with one set of each :roll: :roll:

Stringy, did you buy the additional set from here
http://www.beachwheelsaustralia.com/wheeleezwheels.html

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Mickey, Nohuhu and Slaughter.
Mickey,
I ended up buying another Trax2 cart. It seemed better value. The wheels are available separately from Hobie dealers for around $60-$70 each.
I'm not sure whether adding the standard wheels would help much in sand as they wouldn't bag like the balloon tyres.
BTW - with flotation I was talking about how the wheels float over the sand and don't bog down. Your point about being difficult to insert when on the water is a good one. I find if I'm using the beach wheels then I'm usually returning to a sandy beach where I drag the TI onto the sand, fold the ama and roll the kayak onto its side for cart insertion. :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Very Nice!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

stringy wrote:
Thanks Mickey, Nohuhu and Slaughter.
Mickey,
I ended up buying another Trax2 cart. It seemed better value. The wheels are available separately from Hobie dealers for around $60-$70 each.
I'm not sure whether adding the standard wheels would help much in sand as they wouldn't bag like the balloon tyres.
BTW - with flotation I was talking about how the wheels float over the sand and don't bog down. Your point about being difficult to insert when on the water is a good one. I find if I'm using the beach wheels then I'm usually returning to a sandy beach where I drag the TI onto the sand, fold the ama and roll the kayak onto its side for cart insertion. :)

Stringy thanks for the info. Yes - you're probably right about buying an extra cart verses purchasing them seperately. The wheels are quite expensive on their official website.
I have never tried turning the boat onto its side while the amas are still attached - thought it might do some damage to the akas :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

In regards to fitting the wheels whilst in the water, if you half fill the inner wheels with water. The outer wheels are quick release so couldn't you remove the outer wheels and fit the cart with just the inner wheels and then either attach the outer wheels once the cart is in place or wait until you are just out of the water and then fit????

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

jms2756 wrote:
...if you half fill the inner wheels with water. The outer wheels are quick release so couldn't you remove the outer wheels and fit the cart with just the inner wheels and then either attach the outer wheels once the cart is in place or wait until you are just out of the water and then fit????

You would probably have to go on both sides of the boat to put both wheels back on.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I got around to adding the support bar. It's a variation on slaughters wooden bar.
I used an 80cm length of Rhino HD roof rack bar. This bar being extruded aluminium is light and strong and designed to take a variety of fittings. I already had a strap type kayak holder which fits well.

Using a drill press and a 25mm/1" hole saw I drilled right through the bar where the cart posts go. I had to elongate the holes a bit with a file as the posts taper outwards. The bar has an advantage in that it strengthens the cart as well.
The bar with fittings can be slipped over the posts.

The combination of balls and straps supports the hull well.

Eventually I may fit the Hobie trailer cradle supports to the bar similar to sun E sailor's clever mod found here: viewtopic.php?f=73&t=35157
I would cut off the ama supports to narrow the width. I find a strap around the hull and under the ama, supports them well enough.
I prefer the scupper cart for removing the kayak from my trailer (two level) but the disadvantage with this cart is getting it back in under the hull on the water. The long cart posts require deep water to fit and the balloon tyres are very buoyant. Next mod will be removable posts! :wink:

PS- Thanks for that suggestion jms2756 but I am loath to add any weight to the wheels. I think it would work though. I used to fit the Trax 2 by removing the wheels. You'd have to be careful of the washers/spacers though with this mod.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Very cleaver Stringy. Light and much easier to stow. Will it slide down in the front hatch ?

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for that slaughter! :)
The cart won't fit into the front hatch but the bar does. I find it best to remove the bar and carry the inverted cart the usual way in the TI's rear scuppers.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:03 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Another great solution from Stringy's Dream Works! Besides it's obvious functionality, the cart looks totally cool! 8)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:08 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Roadrunner wrote:
Another great solution from Stringy's Dream Works! Besides it's obvious functionality, the cart looks totally cool! 8)

+1 Awesome idea, very well done!