Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Advice on purchase
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:22 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

After trying various sit-in and sit-on-top kayaks I am seriously considering buying the Adventure. While not as hydrodynamic as a sit-in, it does seem more hydrodynamic than any other sit-on-top I've tried and to be one of the best compromises between the styles for my needs: ( better stability in waves and being easier to get into off a sea wall as opposed to from shore). To be able to peddle and sail are added bonuses.

However, I have 3 questions.
(1) I saw the posts suggesting that Hobie will be coming out with a new sail kit for the Adventure. My son has a sport and it seems to me that the line for the sail, while adequate for the sport, was not really designed for a yak that is 6 feet longer. Does anyone have an idea how long it will be before the new sail kit is available. The post I saw was from 2005 and talked about spring/summer of 2006.
(2) Can anyone recommend a good internet site to purchase a Adventure from? I am looking for the best compromise on price without sacrificing quality.
(3) I see there is a new drive mechanism that is coming out that is bigger and more efficient. Is it a replacement for the current one or an add-on? How soon will it be available? Should I wait till it is available so that I can order it installed on the boat?

Thanks for your help to a newbie. Any other suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated.

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Welcome John :lol:

I have the Adventure and think it’s the best setup for my uses (fishing, cruising, and skin diving) and is the easiest to paddle, pedal, and sail.

Outriggers will be coming out soon.

The larger sail ??

The fin kit will be just that at start.

Where to purchase is questionable. Don’t know where you are. I could have gotten mine on Kayak Fishing Stuff with free shipping and no tax. I checked around and got prices local for the package I wanted. Sail, daggerboard, larger rudder, and kayak. I also wanted to leave mine on the ocean. I have two others at home for the small stuff. I purchases one that has a year dry storage and slip launching for just 100 more than KSF. I also have a dealer I can see when I talk to him.

These are just my best guess; Hobie is the only one that knows for sure. :roll:

Hope this helps.
:mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi John, and welcome to the world of Hobie kayaks. As an Adventure owner, I think you have made good choice. As for your questions:

1. The last I heard was the larger sail for the Adventure will be out this summer along with the Amas.

2. I recommend KFS (Kayak Fishing Stuff) to purchase your kayak on line. Unless you live in New Jersey, there is no sales tax and at the moment, free shipping for the Adventure. This is where I bought mine and I live in California. It arrived at my door in one piece and no problems.

3. At the moment the larger sails (fins) for the drive will only be sold as replacements. I recently asked Hobie if they would sell extra drives with the larger fins and the answer was not for a while anyway. The price of the Mirage Drive is going up, so I just ordered and extra one and will install the larger fins when they become available. Spares are always nice.

I hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

John,
I purchased my Hobies locally (a family friend owns the business), but otherwise would have ordered thru KayakFishingStuff. com. They have a very knowledgeable staff and great service, based on all the reports I have read and heard. They will also install special order items and rig the yak to your specifications. Check them out. They are a authorized Hobie dealer and big fans of the Adventure.

http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com/ri_fishing_kayaks.asp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:24 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Let me add to the choir that the Adventure is a great choice. Many here have been very pleased using KFS to purchase. Keep in mind you can only get a fishing version there, so if that's your choice, I'm sure you'll be in good hands. On the West coast, I got a teriffic deal from my local dealer on an Adventure with sail kit and pre-purchasing the "future" fins that may actually show up some day! I couldn't find anyone on the internet that could match my out-the-door price. Additionally, I prefer to support my local merchants when everything else is equal and having a local dealer to help solve my problems if they arise! To each his own! :wink:

While you're getting a great package deal, you'll pat yourself on the back for ordering the larger rudder while you're at it. That wimpy little vestage that comes with Big 'A' is almost big enough for your son's Sport. (maybe you can get a credit on it). 8)

Post subject: advice on purchase
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:35 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Unless you are going to fish or carry a lot of weight I would buy the Mirage Classic. I own both.

It weighs less and costs less and is more stable. The Adventure (any kayak) is very tipsy to sail, read that athletic. The 16ft boat is hard work to get on a roof rack by yourself (I am 6'2", 240 and in good shape) and the Classic can easily be lifted and carried overhead alone.

I would only buy from a local dealer. They will charge you the same price and when you need warrantee work or advice you will appreciate their loyalty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Draigue,
First off-a hearty welcome to the Hobie Forum. Good points re the BigA vs. the Classic. But why limit oneself? A person might not be interested in sailing the Adventure, or OB, or Sport initially, but when they realize that it might be too much fun to pass up, they can always purchase the sail kit later. You can sail with either amas (outriggers) or not. I have done both with my OB, but I tend to prefer sailing with the outriggers installed. Hobie is working on a new ama kit for their Mirage Drive yaks as we speak, or you can make your own as I did, or you can buy from a third party. Here you can see how stable the OB is with sail up and outriggers installed, especially on my front lawn (quite a drop off the seawall though!). :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Windrider- where'd you purchase your extra drive and how mucho dinero?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

ganiom :lol:

Try here
http://kayakfishingstuff.com/Merchant2/ ... ccessories

$375

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

ganiom,

I ordered my extra drive through KFS (the link Offroad posted above).