Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for that Roadrunner and Jollygreen! :)
BTW -Roadrunner did you notice Version 5 of your original brilliant tennis ball idea?
Half a tennis ball stuffed with half a rubber ball. Offers the best cushioning and durability so far! :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:10 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Stringy,
Very good work and quite the innovative design! You've created the much needed support for all three parts of the TI. In theory, it's like my wheel cart that utilizes a Hobie saddle instead. If there was a way that your cart could fold down for launching and retrieval then we'd have the best of both worlds. Keep up the good work!

2014 Tandem Island

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

sun E sailor wrote:
Stringy,
If there was a way that your cart could fold down for launching and retrieval then we'd have the best of both worlds. Keep up the good work!

Thanks for that sEs! :)
I don't have a problem launching as the cart just drops out when I pick up the TI at the stern on the waters edge. The problem is retrieval and that is where your design wins -no question! 8)
I am researching a way to either make the posts:
-removable so they can be screwed back in to the cart through the scuppers
-foldable with some kind of locking joint that bends at 90deg or so, so that the cart can be slid under and up through the scuppers.
I'll keep you posted! :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:48 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Stringy,

I had another thought for your cart. Cut off the pipes that extend up the scupper holes, you don't need them!

Essentially you have already created a type of saddle with your sling idea. All you have to do now is weld two short pipes perpendicular to your frame like I have on my cart and then the boat won't tend to twist off, you'll also pick up some support. You'll need to run a web strap around the whole unit to keep it all together for transport. You'd be suprized how much the of the weight of the weight of the boat helps to keeps it down on the cart anyway.

Or:

If you still want to have removable posts, cut the posts off and make a upside down shaped notch in the shape of an "l" on the ends. Then weld a very short pin down inside your cross member frame so that when you insert the pipe down through the scupper holes and twist them, they'll lock into place. Get it?
I don't think threading the ends of the pipes and the frame is a very good idea because of sand, line up etc. etc.

Just some ideas I had while I was taking a shower. :shock:
Let me know what you think.

2014 Tandem Island

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks sEs- food for thought! 8)
I do need the posts as I use the keeper pin method when removing the TI which is just below shoulder height on my trailer (my AI sits underneath it).
The simplicity of the scupper cart can't be beaten with this application.
I like the idea of the 'bayonet' type fitting for post removal. I will check this out further. :)

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 7:24 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Stringy,
I didn't know your specific application and of course in certain applications the scupper cart is still a suitable means of transport, especially if you want to carry it on your boat. I was just trying to think of a way to make it work better for you. Good luck and keep in touch. :wink:

2014 Tandem Island