Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: More from last Sunday
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm not the video artist that Cindy is, but here is what I recorded with my iPhone last weekend.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2i_NwqN9hY[/youtube]

Chesapeake Bay and Eastern Shore
My sailing blog
Our sailing videos

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 2:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Gee the iPhone takes a pretty clear video Mitch. I was always procrastinating about getting a dedicated GPS like a Garmin or similar but now with the iPhone GPS applications and waterproof housings available, I think that is the way I will go. With the speed technology moves, sometimes it pays to procrastinate. And of course there is the other benefits with having and iPhone ie: music, camera, video, phone etc. Stringy loaded Navionics onto his Samsung Galaxy for $15 which he is pretty pleased with. Don't know what limitations it has though, if any.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 2:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The iPhone isn't bad for video and photos at all, especially the newer 4 version.

Cindy likes the 3GS better for the still camera because of the way the actual image is recorded which allowed her to produce some really dreamy/artsy images, whereas I prefer the 4 better because the new chip has much better resolution, light sensitivity and the ability to do HDR images on the fly.

As far as electronic marine charts go, Navionics is the app to beat among the vector-based offerings. I do use iNavX as well, when I need to see raster-based images for better clarity. There was a time when I used "Topo Maps", but I rarely use that one anymore since upgrading to the Tandem.

Chesapeake Bay and Eastern Shore
My sailing blog
Our sailing videos

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 4:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slaughter, I've got an Android phone and the GPS, combined with the free Google Maps app, is fantastic on land, but I've found it a lot less useful on the water. The main problem is that the touch screen is very unresponsive when the phone is in an Aquapac and when your fingers are wet. I like to keep my GPS mounted on the gunwale where I can reach it and see it easily, but it cops a lot of water in that situation. The other problem is the phone's battery life is short when the GPS and screen are on continuously - often only about 4 hours continuous use.
Stringy has been using a different waterproof pack for his phone, so he may find it easier to use the touch screen.
Apart from that, these smartphones are really worth having. They're the best thing since sliced bread. My wife has an iPhone and I have an Android (HTC Desire) and they both have their strong points. The iPhone 4 definitely has a better camera, but you already have a pretty trick (waterproof) camera as I recall.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 7:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah, I'm happy with my camera Chris but a backup wouldn't be a bad thing. An iPhone or similar is definately on my hit list.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.