Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 2:56 pm 
Site Admin

ISLAND RUDDER REPLACEMENT PROGRAM

As announced last September by Hobie Cat President Doug Skidmore ( Original Announcement ), we made the decision to replace all Tandem Island and 2011 Adventure Island rudder systems. Last fall, all boats had been provided a temporary retrofit kit to hold the rudder down. Where we had contact information for retail owners, kits were sent directly to those customers.

We are now ready to begin the replacement phase of the project and will start shipping kits this week. The process will take several months to complete. These kits are provided at no charge to dealers and consumers. We will reimburse our dealers for installation labor in situations where the consumer requests installation by the dealer.

Here is a look at the new system:

The new rudder no longer employs the "Twist and Stow" system. The rudder blade simply rotates straight down for sailing and straight up for storage. This straight (versus a twist) rotation allows the rudder to more easily be held in the down position by the rope controls for sailing. The rudder can be used partially deployed, which allows for shallow water steering during launches and landings, thereby giving more positive control of the boat. The rudder foil shape is thicker, which provides better rudder response as well as increased strength. The new system has been well tested and feedback from users has been tremendous—a vast improvement for our Island products!

Boats built or in inventory at Hobie Cat Company as of April 11, 2011 have had the new rudder system installed.

Kit Distribution The following information pertains to the North American Region only. For other regions, contact your dealer or regional distributor for information.

Hobie Cat Australasia: http://hobiecat.com.au/dealers/indexhtml.php
[email protected]

Hobie Kayak Europe: http://www.hobie-kayak.com/cms/index.php?page=dealers
[email protected]

Hobie Cat Europe: http://hobie-cat.net/site_gb/?corporate,revendeurs
[email protected]

We have serial numbers of all boats shipped to dealers that require the rudder replacement, and we have cross-referenced data from our warranty registration system of consumers who purchased those boats from the dealer. We will ship direct to consumers when we have their information. The balance of kits will be shipped to dealers.

If you have not already registered your boat in our warranty system, contact your dealer to confirm your desire for shipping a kit direct to you or to the dealer. We will make every effort to ship a kit direct to you (when informed by the dealer) if not already shipped to the dealer.

Installation You can review installation instructions here:

Printed Rudder Replacement Instructions

Video Rudder Replacement Instructions

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 8:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Awesome! Ready for it.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 11:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Hobie, also great instruction video, nice and clear. Can't wait for new rudder to arrive!!!

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 12:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah, great video... makes things very clear, although it gave me the shivers when he started snipping the rudder lines! :-)

I'll be very interested to see how this new design works "in the wild", as I have my reservations about the portability of yak with this rudder - particularly when car-topping.

Is it possible to remove the rudder-blade easily?

Cheers,

Mike.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 12:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Looking forward to it!

Chesapeake Bay and Eastern Shore
My sailing blog
Our sailing videos

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 1:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Looking forward to receiving & installing them :D :wink:

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 3:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Looks like it will be very functional. 8)
A big plus for being able to steer in shallow water.
Not so sure about ease of transport though. I guess you could remove the rudder pin? Is that how Hobie will be transporting the hulls to dealers?

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 3:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mingle wrote:
I'll be very interested to see how this new design works "in the wild", as I have my reservations about the portability of yak with this rudder - particularly when car-topping.

Is it possible to remove the rudder-blade easily?

Pull the rudder pin and then bungee the blade flat to the hull.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 5:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi there

On April the 13th I bought a 2011 TI manufactured in March 2011 (as the hull # says) and the dealer did not inform me of this upgrade, so that I could have had the option to wait a little bit and buy the one with the new rudder already installed.
Now I would like to know how long will it take hobie to send me the new rudder since in two months I will be moving overseas...

Best regards

Ed

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 6:48 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

:D YES! Just in time for S. Florida Summer sailing. :D I too look forward to installing this soon.
Thanks Matt and Hobie for once again demonstrating their commitment and dedication to their loyal customers. :D

2014 Tandem Island

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 8:51 am 
Site Admin

edoardotamburini wrote:
I would like to know how long will it take hobie to send me the new rudder since in two months I will be moving overseas...

If you registered your warranty with us at that time... and if you are in North America, you should be seeing a rudder within the month, I would guess. As noted in the announcement, it will take us several months to build and ship all the required kits. Consumers overseas will have a bit longer wait as we will sea freight these I believe.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 11:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

mmiller wrote:
ISLAND RUDDER REPLACEMENT PROGRAM

Video Rudder Replacement Instructions

The instruction video between 8 and 9 minutes into the instructions demonstrates how to connect the tiller controls to the lines of the new rudder. It seems there may be an error when he says to connect the line that turns the tiller to the right and connect that to the left or port side of the rudder - shouldn't it be to the right or starboard side of the rudder?

Bob

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 12:36 pm 
Site Admin

The instructions are correct.

The control lines cross inside the boat. The line he pulls to make the tiller go right is actually the control line that makes the rudder turn left. Imagine when those lines are connected... turn the tiller left, it pulls forward on that line connection and makes the rudder turn left. Confusing I know, but follow the instruction.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 3:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Matt. the control lines crossing makes it easier to visualize. Showing the tiller hard right while the rudder is hard left in the video doesn't mean a hard right tiller leads to a hard left rudder but just the opposite - a hard right tiller leads to hard right rudder due to the criss cross. But to connect it, you need to know which line to pull on so that is why the video shows the rudder in hard left position while the tiller is hard right.

Bob

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

bobco wrote:
Thanks Matt. the control lines crossing makes it easier to visualize. Showing the tiller hard right while the rudder is hard left in the video doesn't mean a hard right tiller leads to a hard left rudder but just the opposite - a hard right tiller leads to hard right rudder due to the criss cross. But to connect it, you need to know which line to pull on so that is why the video shows the rudder in hard left position while the tiller is hard right.

Bob

I couldn't figure that either in the vid!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next