Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 4:01 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi everybody. I'm in the process of fixing up my new to me '77 H14. Structurally, the hulls are very solid. There's no soft spots, and the few repairs to the hulls seem to have been done very well. Cosmetically, the boat sucks. It looks like the previous owner tried to rattle-can the hulls. There's several large patches where the spray paint has worn down to the original gel coat. I'd like to repaint, I'm looking at Interlux Brightside, Dupont Imron, or something similar.

My question is how best to fill in the superficial scratches and gouges in the bottom of the hulls. Nothing stucturally damaging, but some of the deeper ones look too deep to sand out without weakening the hulls. I'm looking at 3M marine premium filler. Is this acceptable to use? I'm not looking for a perfect mirror smooth finish, just something that's going to look decent.

Also, I realize that gel-coating would be a better way to go, as it's more durable. From what I've read here, gelcoat can be a pain to work with. I plan on launching almost exclusively off the trailer, so I'm not too worried about scratching the new paint off right away. Am I headed in the right direction? Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 4:10 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

3M Premium filler might be a bit hard - which makes it difficult to fair in. As I recall, the hardener is colored (blue) which can make covering with paint, etc. difficult.

Evercoat Formula 27 is a good, general purpose filler that's the same density as gel coat. It's a light gray, so it blends in well.

If your plan is to use a polyurethane, high gloss paint, you need to remove ALL of the old paint and prepare the surface. Any underlying flaws will show up in the finish. That paint has NO hiding/filling power.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 12:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

MBounds,
Thanks for the quick reply. I picked up a pint of the evercoat on my way home the other night. Now only another hour of two of sanding to go before I can use it!