It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am continuing to rebuild my “bargain acquiredâ€

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

DWait wrote:
1) Do the H18 hulls normally have any foam blocks or bladders for reserve buoyancy?
2) Have any of the rest of you encountered stress concentration areas between hull core and deck laminations outboard on the forward crossbeam?
3) Have any of you used a bedding compound on the crossbeams to improve load redistribution? If so, what releasing agent is recommended?
4) Has anyone had experience with both mesh and vinyl trampolines (both from Hobie) and have definitive input on relative longevity? I have read the forums on this topic but have mostly found comparisons to 3rd party products.
5) Is the downhaul and outhaul on this particular boat adequate to de-power the rig? Any other significant tricks to de-power this boat?
6) Any recommendations on sanding methods for textured deck surfaces? Due to damage and repairs, 2-part epoxy primer and 1 part urethane coating will be used and sanding for proper adhesion is critical. I am planning to use medium grit bronze wool, but am looking for ideas.

1) Yes, blocks for flotation. Not sure what you mean by "reserve".
4) I believe the vinyl to be longer lived, simply from the standpoint it is tougher. In my experience, you'll damage a tramp to the point of replacement before you actually "wear it out". Protected from UV when not in use both should last quite a while.
5) 8:1 is class legal, upgrade it, you won't be disappointed. Stock outhaul is fine.
6) Captain Dave used, I beleive, Bon-Ami and a bristle brush, after using a wax removing agent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

reply to 3)

Have a Seat
Posted in Boat Construction by jake on the April 3rd, 2006

With some gracious help from local sailing friend and Team Seacats ground crew, Tim Owens, the beams on our boat are seated and curing. I would have never been able to finish this task in one evening without his help (I may not have been able to do it at all without the extra set of hands either!). Tim helped me rough sand and clean up the beam sockets in the hull in preparation for an epoxy and milled glass fiber slurry to fill the joint between the hull and the beam. This will yield a much tighter fitting joint with less motion resulting in a stiffer boat through the waves. The theory is that if the boat is flexing as it goes over and through waves, it is absorbing some of the limited energy the sails are producing. A stiffer platform reserves that energy for getting through the water. Even if all that is true, I can tell you that a stiffer platform will ‘communicate’ much better with the sailors on board and we can feel what is happening with the boat much better - it makes us faster as a result. We want them fitted very well to the boat - but we don’t really want them “gluedâ€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just so you know I finally replaced my vinyl tramp on the '82 H18. It was the original. Not bad, almost 25 years. I know it was left out in the sun uncovered for most of that time.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject: Flotation
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I know there are foam blocks to the stern of the daggerboard wells, supposed to be enclosed in a plastic bag arrangement. With good lighting, you might be able to see them by looking inside from the rear drainplug hole.

Never a person to leave well enough alone, from a local medical lab, we 'acquired' (don't ask), two clear, flexible plastic fluid containers, approx 2 to 3 gallons volume each. If you've ever been camping with a 'fold up' type water container, this is a similar item. We deflated them, pushed them in the portholes, reinflated them, and placed them forward of the front cross bar.

We can hit anything, and we'll still float. Should I rename our H18 the Titanic?

Our Club H18 tramps are all approx 1982 vintage, and while they are faded, they have survived many summers in the sun.

Great description of repairs and beam remounting. Go for it!

Good winds

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you for the responses and information. Regarding the foam blocks, one of mine has become dislodged and is coated with some type of crumbling plastic. Any recommendations for fixing this back in place? I suppose that letting it rattle around will not hurt anything, but I would rather support it properly. Because it is behind the trunk, access is quite poor.