Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 10:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have had my PA for 2 months now, and have finally gotten close to my goal of a complete fishing craft for my style and waters. Saltwater (Georgia-Florida) Freshwater (Atlanta) 10-50lb Striped and Hybrid Bass

2011 PA
Bait Tank
Rod Extenders
Ram Mount Rod Holders
Ram Mount Sonar
Sonar(Humminbird 597DI)
Motor (MotorGuide VariMAX Saltwater)
Battery Sonar (12v 10aha)
Battery Motor (12v Deep Cycle)

The first thing was to motorize this beast. A saltwater trolling
motor was a must.
Image This temporary bracket works until I make a final version.
I can do 6mph on a good day with a 3 blade prop, i now use a 2 blade prop (slower) as I fish with live bait on 2 downlines, 1 free-lined out the back on a redi-float, and 2 planer boards with live bait running about 30 foot to each side
of the PA.
Im not a big guy, so for me the OG seat was a waste of space. New seat gives better access to the back. Trolling motor remote is attatched to the seat with RAM mounts.
Bait tank works great in saltwater and for some freshwater bait. Blueback Herring and Threadfin Shad will die in a tank like this. In the summertime, you will be using water with the least amount of oxygen in that system. As water in the top water column has less oxygen, you must create a sealed system.
Changed the pump bottom and put it on a riser to plug the old intake port. Plugged the drain side port and added the DANCO venturi to add oxygen into the system. I use house water and treat it before my trips. Ice keeps the water cooler than real water temp, baits stay friskier longer, like 3 dozen all day (no dead). A car window reflector cut to size in summer keeps the heat off this non-insulated tank
I have the mirage drive stowed by the bait tank. I stand a lot and throw a cast net, so use the full front deck, that’s where the trolling motor comes in. I use a big foot switch so I can bump the motor and cover an area while standing and casting the whole time. Image

Sensor mount for the Humminbird is a simple piece of aluminum Image
Finder did not like the trolling battery, it has its own small battery in a dry bag.Image Ram rod holders drilled into side plate. Hated drilling into the PA, but it had to be done. The Ram rod holder is versitile, the ball system allows me to put anything there, forward thinking.

I carry way too much stuff, another PA owner told me. I keep 2 buckets of backup gear, nav lights, in the void under me. Image

Picked up a trailer after 3 time of putting this beast on my Xterra.
Once I leave the house im ready, the kayak has a cover thak keeps everything inside. For remote locations, I still have the roof rack and that amazing Mirage drive.

TEAM GEAUX-FISH KAYAK

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 8:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi,TGF
Looks really good. Do you just use the rudder to steer, or do you have some way to remotely turn the trolling motor?? Looking forward to any other mods you might have. Regards....

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 9:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Congrats! Your whole rig is 100% awesome.

You're also crazy. A step ladder in a kayak!
I love it.

Personally, I'll never motorize my PA because
I don't want to bother with registering it at
the DMV and paying their taxes. It's just a
minor nuisance once a year, but it bugs me.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 9:11 am 
Site Rank - Captain

My future mods are just to add a few more rod holders and an anchor trolley. Steering the PA with a trolling motor
does have its issues, as my motor locked straight. With the rudder and motor being so close together, there is no tight turning radius. A full remote
trolling motor would be best, but for $200 I became motorized with saltwater protection. I would buy a wireless remote trolling
motor before sinking big money into a Kayak specific motor. In windy conditions I keep the mirage drive in to give me a little resistance
in the water.

Registering my Kayak in Georgia cost $15 for 3 years, and everything was done with a phone call and email of my
MSO (Manufactures Statement of Origin). Many states differ for motorized kayak registration. The freedom and
new fishing range allows me to catch more fish.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 12:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Motorized yaks, wave of the futre. Nice stuff Georgia. Love the ladder. I caught 150# of fish last night, love the PA to no end. It's a total fishing machine. Love all the new mods out there, you got some cool stuff going on. Best of luck with your goal of all those 50# stripers. Kudos. MJ.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 4:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Great machine, congratulations ... :wink:

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 4:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Nice Really like the seat mod looks comfy! Good job

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 8:43 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Nice, I'm diggin' the trolling motor setup....The seat looks real comfy, but I would wonder how hot it would get. I would mention all the hype about warranty and possibly voiding it, but as I've stated before; there comes a time when you need to set the boat up how you want it, regardless of warranty issues :) Looks good bud. Lets get a video of it in action.

How long does the battery last ya, and any plans for a solar charger or something?

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 6:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Sonor Battery will last about 40-50 hours per charge
Motor Battery will last 2 trips before it gets to 30% left

The bait bank battery is the only weak link, Time for a backup.

I also run a Hydro Glow light off the motor battery when I am
out to catch bait.

No thoughts about solar, yet.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 7:26 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

TeamGeauxFish wrote:
Sonor Battery will last about 40-50 hours per charge
Motor Battery will last 2 trips before it gets to 30% left

Cool deal. How long is a trip? (being as you said 2 trips) :) and how fast? Just wondering as far as trolling and such. Where I live (big lake water), the average commute just to get to fishing grounds could be 11 miles....so, that's why I ask.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 10:08 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Got another question in regards to your setup (I like it by the way). The seat, did you attach it to the standard PA base, or did you use a different base? Obviously it's higher due to the foam, but didn't know if it was also higher due to another base.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

CurtnAz, The seat is bolted to the origional mount. With the purchases 2 bolts from your local hardware (1 inch longer than whats under there now) you can put (ANY) 4 hole seat on your Pro Angler. With a 2 blade prop, I can get 4mph from the trolling motor and 5+ with the 3 blade prop. 20 miles round trip a day on a battery charge is possible...

Imagine 5mph and not using your feet to get to the fishing grounds. Or casting an entire area standing, and using your foot remote to bump you along as you make cast after cast. How about using the motor to keep you in place as you fight a big fish.

Other new developements:
Here is a simple bait holder made from a mesh laundry bag from WalMart. Pool noodles keep the top out of the water, for when I am throwing the cast net for bait. Works great as a drift sock too.

In the background you can see the Hobie rod extenders fit perfectly
connected to the side rail and tucked behind the seat. Great spot for 2 more rod holders without having to drill into the PA.

Bait bag folds into a Kayak sized item.

Hydro Glow 1 foot Green LED for catching bait at night.
U-Rigs for Stripers Trolled at 2.5-3mph @110-150 foot behind the boat.

Last item is the cord that keeps the lid down, Ive noticed seperation in the Internal Bungee and fabric cover at the pull tab.
Image The other side looks better, but it's starting to become the same. Is this normal or a design flaw??

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 1:18 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Totally Awesome :) Where I live, we don't catch bait because live bait is prohibited (fish wise)....only thing you can you are water dogs (salamanders) and worms if you want to fish something alive. Water dogs are hard to come by now, but if you do have them, you'll catch a boat load of bass :) I love the trolling motor idea and posted another thread of what my plan was... (using an engine mount adapter from MinnKota, or making one and somehow trying to fixate it to the stern, because all you need is forward/rearward propulsion. Plus, it would give a clean look. Then, mount a remote throttle dial and you're good to go...

I gotta tell ya, I'm getting allll sorts of ideas for when I get my kayak....I was even leaning towards an Outback, but with all these ideas with a PA, it's gonna have to be a PA. I'll deal with the weight issue. There is only one lake I can think of in Utah where it'll be a pain getting it in, but, I'll do what I gotta do :)

THanks for the extra pics. How about a video now :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Great looking rig! Goodluck and good fishing!
Question... What kind of trailer are you using and what modifications did you have to make to the length and the bunks?
Thanks for your reply.

Bruce

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The trailer is from BassPro, it fits their 14' jon boat. The best mod would be to add pvc pipes as the bunks. You can find that info and pictures here on the forum. I'm using pool noodles on my flat bunks, as I have yet to make the change to full PVC.