Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 3:10 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

adventure islands have a reputation as being a "wet" craft, when is this most noticeable? or is it all the time? sorry for the hijack

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 5:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

yakkindan wrote:
adventure islands have a reputation as being a "wet" craft, when is this most noticeable? or is it all the time? sorry for the hijack

Pretty much all the time. Some times a little bit wet is more annoying than a lot. A lot means you're having fun.

The general rule is to dress for the occasion if getting wet worries you.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:42 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Slaughters last post is a very important one, If you truly want to enjoy the most an AI or TI offers, then also factor in good quality wet gear. Dress for an extended immersion and not just for the wet ride though.

I do know of one kayak, that was converted by the owner from an Adventure to an AI, and for very similar reasons as you have proposed. The conversion was relativity easy, and the owners only real issues. Why did he wait so long, and why didn't he just get the whole lot to start with.

As for are they any good, yes pretty darn good in fact. I am another, who also scuba dives and fish from one :wink: .

Trailer or rooftop :roll: ?
If you have the space for a trailer and do not tow a camper, then get a trailer. So much easier and trust me, you do not want a back injury :cry: :oops: :cry: .
Cleaner on your car and better fuel economy. Of course, parking can be an issue, what you save in fuel covers registration, but the physical saving is huge. Also if time is short and you feel like a quick sail, it's already on the trailer, ready to go :mrgreen: .

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 5:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ELM wrote:
Trailer or rooftop :roll: ?
If you have the space for a trailer and do not tow a camper, then get a trailer. So much easier and trust me, you do not want a back injury :cry: :oops: :cry: .
Cleaner on your car and better fuel economy. Of course, parking can be an issue, what you save in fuel covers registration, but the physical saving is huge. Also if time is short and you feel like a quick sail, it's already on the trailer, ready to go :mrgreen: .

Here here. I went out last weekend but finished up with only a few hours on the water. Because I car topped the AI, I spent longer getting the AI and all it's gear from the car to the water and visa versa, than I actually spent out there enjoying myself. Trailer is almost a must.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 6:24 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Jefflins; Welcome to the hobie life. You will have a hard time getting away from it now. It just keeps getting better and better! Here is a look at my toy trailer.

By larryhts at 2010-05-10

The income tax has made more liars out of the American people than golf has.
- Will Rogers (1879-1935)

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 2:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slaughter wrote:
yakkindan wrote:

Pretty much all the time. Some times a little bit wet is more annoying than a lot. A lot means you're having fun.

The general rule is to dress for the occasion if getting wet worries you.

The only place I count on staying dry is when I am sailing up in the creeks where there are no waves.

The other day a boat wake came aboard. OK, almost no waves. Sailed around with a wet butt the rest of the afternoon.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The TI can be a dry boat under 6mph sailing speed (under 10-11 mph winds). No big waves, no puddles on the thick deck.

In the AI, unless you are well under 150? pounds including your gear, you sit in a small puddle in the seat and your heels rest in a small puddle at your feet. And this is before you start moving.

But since we like going faster that 5-6mph anyway, we're all getting WET! :D

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I cant imagine staying dry unless you're on a flat lake

Expect at least a wet bottom ... the more wet you get, the more fun your having :wink:

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 2:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wet? What wet?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:36 pm 
Hobie Team Member

I upgraded to an AI by buying the kit. It was OK. Don't know if the 2011 Adventure has an upgrade though.

Here's a longer range action plan. Get a used Adventure try it for six months and then resell it .

You risk lower $ evaluating the basic hull and drive. Should make you feel safer in your AI buy decision while you save your $$ for a future purchase.

Aloha

Dan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:27 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have a 2010 Adventure with the kayak sail and old version dagger board. My wife has a 2011 Adventure Island, still with twist and stow.

If you want an Adventure Island then buy the whole thing. Buying an Adventure and then the AI kit costs more in the end. Plus the 2011 connector upgrades are not yet available as part of the kit so would have to wait. Also I don't think turbo fins are part of the conversion kit either so that will be even more cost. You really need turbos, standard fins don't move the AI as well.

Converting AI to Adventure is easy just remove/un-click the bars. There is a great home made sail adapter from plumbing parts or you can use a bit of pool noodle for the smaller kayak sail. Or are you referring to complete removal for the cross-bar mounts? That would leave a large hole in your deck where the mast receiver was.

As for a wet ride. Very much so in the cockpit on certain days. On the tramps not so much but still dependent on conditions. Still please dress for immersion just for safety and comfort. I have removed the side handles on the 2011 hull and taped over the recessed well to reduce the splash from there but that doesn't help with over the bow. Need to buy the mesh splash guards.

We car top. I am lazy and want a trailer but car topping is not an issue. Center hull only weighs 63 lbs so it is only a function of saving time launching. Everything has to come apart for cleaning.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:35 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Just do it Man. It's only money.. The fun you will have will make you forget any expenditure soo fast its ridiculous. Oh be prepared to answer a million questions everytime you launch at the ramp as AI's and TI's will attract attention. I never launch on time as people always come over to see and ask. My favorite question is MPG :oops:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

reconlon wrote:

In the AI, unless you are well under 150? pounds including your gear, you sit in a small puddle in the seat and your heels rest in a small puddle at your feet. And this is before you start moving.

165 lbs and I stay dry as long as I keep the plugs in and avoid waves. Oh, and avoid having to drag a wet 80 lb dog back aboard...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

It's all good. I love my AI. Get the sail, there is no doubt. I recently towed my ai in a utility trailer with a Matrix to Key West and got 29 mph.

It's expensive, but you get a lot. Resale value - I sold my 2009 AI for $2500 last week. I just had to have the latest and was considering a TI - got another AI.

Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The wetter you get the bigger the grin... :D
Just do it!