Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 11:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I need specific measurements/dimensions on the Tandem Island so I can properly setup my trailer to accept delivery.
More specifically, where to place the cradles on the trailer to ensure proper support.

So I bought a trailer anticipating the arrival of my new Tandem Island. It is the Yakima Rack & Roll 78.
Everyone told me not to get it because the span between crossbars is only 48 inches when I need 76... however, that is somewhat easily remedied with some metal fabrication and ingenuity.
To be quite honest, the benefit of the Rack & Roll's compactness and ability to stow up out of the way against a wall in my garage far outweighed the effort I would need to take in order to make it work.
That, and I was able to purchase it at near to cost :D .

Anyway, the information I require:
I've read that the spacing of the cradles should ideally be 76 inches apart and should brace the boat at the drive wells (?).
My question is how far back is the front drive well from the bow of the boat, and/or, likewise, the rear from the stern?

Running a 2010 Tandem Island transported on a modified Yakima Rack & Roll.

Modifications: Torqueedo Hobie eVolve v2; Furling line rigged to cleat from rear crossbar w/Spinlock cam cleats; Custom ACK anchor trolley system;

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The cradles need to be in the center of the boat at 67 " apart

The boat is a total of 18ft long - so there will be approx. 74.5" left in front and behind the cross bars.

I am not sure that the Rack and Roll trailer is long enough - i could be wrong on that though... maybe someone on this forum has used one for a TI - hopefully there will be a reply.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 1:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The Rack & Roll w/ tongue extension puts it at about 12.5 feet of usable length. I will be running a 3 foot extension rearward to further support the stern of the boat so instead of leaving 6 feet unsupported I will only have 3 feet unsupported.

Are you sure on that 67 inch span between cradles?

Also, anyone that can give me an exact measurement from bow to foward drive, foward drive to rear drive, and rear drive to stern?
... would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
- Dave

Modifications: Torqueedo Hobie eVolve v2; Furling line rigged to cleat from rear crossbar w/Spinlock cam cleats; Custom ACK anchor trolley system;

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 3:20 pm 
Site Admin

6 feet from bow to center of the forward drive. 58" from center of the forward / center the aft drive.

67" spread is the standard dimension for AI and Pro Angler cradles for a perfect fit. The TI cradles can be spread further apart as the hull bottom keeps pretty much the same over a longer length.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 4:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Matt,

So the official Hobie reccomended spread and positioning of the cradles for a Tandem Island is ??
... being 67" is for the AI.

Thanks.
- Dave

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 5:02 pm 
Site Admin

Fireseid wrote:
Matt,

So the official Hobie reccomended spread and positioning of the cradles for a Tandem Island is ??
... being 67" is for the AI.

Thanks.
- Dave

Quote:
67" spread is the standard dimension for AI and Pro Angler cradles for a perfect fit. The TI cradles can be spread further apart as the hull bottom keeps pretty much the same over a longer length.

There is a variety of positions they could be in... but under drive wells or scuppers is important. Nothing more official than that.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 5:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

If you are skipping the cradles and hauling the main hull upside down the right spots are not 67" apart. There are lots of things that stick up higher than the gunnel that get in the way like the tiller controls and the up and down rudder blocks. 84" is a good number. I am hauling on a harbor freight 4X8 upside down and giving some serious thought to cradles as they would save some time and effort.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 5:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I had to replace the forward 'tongue' on my lightweight trailer to get enough
length. The 67 inch placement of the trailer saddles is not necessarily precise but I recommend it. I added rubber rollers near the bow and stern...I adjusted the rollers so that they just touch the keel (no upward pressure on the hull).
I didn't like the idea of so much keel extended with no support, especially if
it got really hot while the TI was stored or bouncing down a rough road. The rear roller helps when pulling the TI up onto the trailer...the carpeted saddles do drag on the hulls when you are loading the TI.