Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:59 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

now i'm nervous about picking up my getaway.....maybe i should get the wave instead???"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You will probably be fine with a righting bag. You can always look into fabricating a righting pole from an old windsurfer mast. They are less than $100 used. Just call your local shop. They also make nice spin poles.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject: Power righter
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Has anyone seen the Power righter work on a Getaway with wings? Specifically, would a 200lb'r get it back over solo?
Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was able to right my Getaway in high winds solo, but....

I weigh 185lbs. Swam the mast around into the wind. Ensured main & jib sails unclipped. The wind pulled her over with my weight. The probelm was that the wind was so strong it pulled me right over the other way (the boat came up then, flipped the other way leeward 180degrees). Seems to me that in high winds , the jib needs to be furled. Anybody else got any ideas on how to prevent 180 degrees flips? The other problem is that the wind will not hold the mast into the wind when she's down. The wind tends to rotate a downed Getway so that the mast is leeward.

From a safety perspective, after righting the boat twice, I decided to wait for help as I was just too pooped to try it one more time. 2 rescue boats came to my aid. When we finally got her up, the boat took off like a shot despite the fact that both sails were not tensioned in any way. With 1 hand on the boat I body surfed along side and had just enough energy left to pull myself aboard.

Wow. Loved it tho. So folks. Any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:27 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

where do you all keep your righting bag when sailing?? When i pitchpoled, my righting bag was stuffed underneath the tramp in the center webbing of the tramp...seems you'd want to be able to access it from the top of the tramp to throw it over the hull....any suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:39 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

so, where do you keep the righting bag when sailing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:28 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

so, where do you all keep your righting bags??

Post subject: Bag Placement
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have my rope for my bag attached to the rings that the righting bungee runs through. I have it tied in a triangle so that I can adjust the height by pulling the loop up or down. The rest of the cord I wrap around the bag after I have folded and rolled it so its about 6â€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:49 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

thats how i have my bag too, however take me thru the steps of what you do with the bag once you capsized....its my understanding that once you capsize, you need to swim to the topside of the tramp and throw the bag over the airborne hull (isnt this hard to do when its windy??) the swim around, stand on the hull, fill the bag with water, lean back with the bag over your shoulder and right the boat.....am i wrong? is there another way>

Post subject: Fun in the water
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The rope that comes with the bag has a loop in end. Take this end and run the rope through the stainless steel O rings that your bungee cord also goes through. Take the bag end and pull it through the loop on the far end and keep pulling. Your righting bag line should now make a big loop along the the cross bar under the mast.

You should be left with about 5 feet of line. I'm not around my boat to measure. Fold the bag, roll it up a little, and then wrap the most of the cord around it and stick it halfway through the tramp lacing and clip the bag clip onto the lacing from the bottom side.

Once your boat launches you into the water. Unlock all the sail lines. I usually spin my jib up if the cord isn't stuck.

Get up on you hull on the bottom side. Pull the bag out. You can adjust the line by grabbing the 3 way intersection of the line and pulling up or down. Dip the bag and stand up and out at a good righting angle.

Depending on you how tall you are you may need to shorten a line. I'm sure it would be easier with the line going over the hull but I don't see this happening on the getaway although it is pretty easy to climb to the top hull if you have wings.

Once in the water, just wad the bag in one hand and stuff through the tamp lacing and get back on the boat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:15 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

isnt the bag supposed to be tossed over the airborne hull?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yes it is. I however do not like fighting to throw the bag over the hull and into the wind or turning my boat around and then getting the bag. If I turn my boat in a good wind I can get it up with out a bag. 6'2" 200.

Also I like stuffing my bag away the second my boat's up again. I once had a water bag turn into a sea anchor pulling me towards a bridge. While pulling in it I happened to tip the boat again.

I like the bag to get up quick and in any direction to the wind before a power boat feels that I need to be saved from a nice refreshing dip.

Post subject: lesson on TV
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Was flipping through channels last night and on the court TV network the lifeguard show (something beach). They were sent out to rescue an overturned cat. I believe this is fimlmed in San Diego, and sure eough it was a Getaway seemigly siingle handed sailor and he sure did seem lost. They held up the mast bob for him and over it went. I hope they are there for me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:24 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I weigh 145 and i right my Getaway myself without a bag.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

God I wish, my right leg probable weighs that much lol 8)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next