sun E sailor wrote:
I realize that this question may be hard to answerer but, after you cleaned and painted the connections and before you applied the 5200, did you feel like there was going to be (enough) of a gap between the joints for the 5200 to be effective ? Also, did you consider just cleaning/sanding/aluminium jelly prep. and not painting the areas that were glued with the 5200 ?
I thought it was best to paint the aka to help prevent metal to metal contact with the aka joint. Note, I used a tooth brush taped to a rod to brush as much of the loose "white rust" inside the aka and joint. Liberally added aluminum jelly to the bristle, rinsed, then dried. Didn't look like it did much so I can't recommend it; but, it did help keep things clean when I test fitted the aka to joint after painting.
During the test fitting, there was enough of a gap that allowed rotating the aka within the joint without much trouble. However, it did scuff the paint a bit.
I liberally reamed inside the aka joint with 3M 5200 about a 1/4 inch from the base and at the edge of the rim. Hoping this will prevent water from "sweating" into the gap.