Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wave or club wave
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

What is the difference between the wave and the club wave?

Post subject: Re: Wave or club wave
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 10:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Standard or SE Waves are made so that the hulls and frame can be easily dis-assembled and re-assembled for car-topping. The trampoline is one piece with hooks to hold it in place, and the shrouds have hooks for quick and easy rigging.

Club Waves have a three-piece lace-up trampoline, like most Hobies, which takes more time and effort to assemble. And the rigging is the more common pin hardware.

And SE Waves have cup-holders on the tramp, Clubs don't.

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 1:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Get the Club Wave. It is a better boat! Lots of people want to convert a Wave Classic to Club version.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 4:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm an Adventure Island owner, who would like to add a Wave to my fleet one day. I was at the local dealer today and took a close look at what I now know is a Standard Wave (one piece trampoline held in with clips, and has cup holders)

From a sailing standpoint, why is the lace up trampoline better? The boat that I saw today looked like a great little boat, and in my mind, an easier to disassemble boat is a benefit. for things like winter storage, or even to have the ability to trailer it with a unmodified utility trailer.

The one main question that I have about the Standard Wave, is will it sail as well as the Club Wave?

Is there anyone who can give me a comprehensive list of benefits and drawbacks of each design? Is it a case of what's good for one person might be bad for another?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 5:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The general consensus is that a tight tramp is desirable. (Insert your own joke here...)

With the Club version, you can really snug up the laces, and they'll stay that way. With the SE version, it's hard to get that much tension on the drawstring; and you have to re-do it each time you re-assemble the boat.

Also, the velcro straps around the SE's rear crossbar can get in the way, especially if you ever decide to install a traveller. But there are ways around that issue, as can be seen in another thread on this forum.

As for sailing, Patrick Green has won the Wave Class National Championship several times sailing an SE Wave. He disassembles it and hauls it all over the country on a little custom trailer that he built, and can reassemble it race-ready in about 15 minutes. Other folks have won the class on Club Waves, so I don't think there's any real difference speed-wise.

There are trailers available for hauling the boat assembled, and it's quick and easy to launch from there. Just raise the mast, hoist the sail and go. But one regular poster on this forum said he liked the work-out of car-topping his SE Wave, carrying the pieces to the water and building the boat on the beach. He said it always got folks attention; and the more he did it, the more ripped he got.

Personally, I like my Club Wave. I don't transport it that often, maybe 2 or 3 times a year, and I made my own trailer (by simply adding cross-planks to a cheap utility trailer) that carries it assembled. Most of the time, it sits outside on the ground, summer and winter; and I've never had any problems. Cup-holders might be nice to have sometimes; but then again, they may drag in the waves when things really get cranking. :)

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 1:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well... Speaking from experience (with my AI) I do like a tight tramp! :roll:

Thanks for your help though! It's good to know that the sailing performance of each is the same (which is what I had figured).

I guess, one other question would be, just a clarification question. All I've found online about rigging the Wave are YouTube video's requiring two people to rig the boat. Assuming that the tramp is assembled, I assume that assembly from trailer to water can be done with one person?

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 1:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

One person can very easily rig these boats!

I took delivery of mine, still in the shipping boxes, when the dealer used a forklift to place the boxes on the roof-rack of my Hyundai Elantra wagon. From that point on, I have never had any assistance with assembling or rigging my boat.

The mast is light, and you can use the halyard to hold it while you pin the forestay. I start by attaching the mast base and the shrouds, and tying the bitter end of the halyard to the bridle shackle. Then I stand on the tramp and lift the mast to my shoulder. I simply walk it forward, grab the hook end of the halyard and cleat it snug to the mast. Now you can let go and walk around front to pin the forestay into the adjuster and untie the halyard. If you need more slack as you pin it, just grab the cleated side of the halyard and pull.

Some people leave the rudders on while trailering, likewise the main sheet. Personally, I take them off, but it only takes a minute to put them back on.

That's all there is to it! (Except making sure your drain plugs are in!)

I'm sure you'll love the Wave. Go for it!

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 10:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just want to point out that Black Dog himself has a NON Club wave and can pretty much kick everyone's ass, no matter that they have. Drink holders and all......

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

glad to hear the classic is competitive with club. i own a '98 classic and hate the tramp and cupholders dragging in water, especially in choppy. but for a leisure sail, love the cupholders. also on the laceup tramp you can dig ur heals in when flying. the one piece you just have to lean back. i recently experienced a break in forestay on a night sail and converted shrouds and forestay to club standards, 2x gauge. i don't trust those skinny wires anymore.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I just purchased and assembled a new SE and considered the advantages (or not) of the three piece tramp.

The Wave is a boat intended to be fast, fun, easy etc. Both deliver.

The ONLY issue I see is the traveler, which you likely don't need.

So there you have it. Cup holders rule.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey OLD SALT

Where do you sail in Indy?

I was one of the first out on Eagle Creek, back in the mid 70's - one of the first H14s and then H16s.

I will always think that Eagle Creek was one of the BEST sailing lakes I have ever seen.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Welcome to the gang, Choctaw60! You'll love your Wave, like we all do.

I sail on Geist Reservoir, from the Indianapolis Sailing Club; but I've sailed on Eagle Creek several times when we've had Wave regattas there. You're right, it's a much better sailing lake than Geist; but I live and work near Geist, so it wins.

My favorite sailing lake is Maxinkuckee, in the northern part of the state. It's much larger, and the surrounding land's flatter, so the winds are more consistant.

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"