Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mast Stepping w/EZ Step
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 8:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Folks,

Has anyone used the EZ Step Mast Stepping aid advertised in the Hobie catalog. This is the one with a pole that attaches to the mast, and two lines that connect to something (connection is point of interest) to form a triangle. I'm really interested where the line attach....

If anyone has experience with this step aid, I'd like to hear your thoughts. It looks like I may have to step my mast solo once in a while if I want to get on the water....

Thanks.

Dan in Vermont
'79 Hobie 16....Part-time crew...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 8:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Dan:

You may want to check out the Hobie 16 forum at catsailors.com.
They have a whole heap of listings on single mast raising and some pretty innovative ideas that may help.

Cheers,
Nick

Post subject: solo mast stepping
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 3:11 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

If you are able to lift the mast by yourself, I use a simpler (and cheaper) method. I added an eye at the base of my trailers mast post. I attach a piece of line to the forestay loop using a snap shackle, run the line thru the eye, and leave the empty end on the tramp. I then raise the mast, pull the line tight while holding the mast up and tie the line to one of the halyard cleats. This holds the mast till I can get off and pin the stay. Just make sure that the boat is tied down well to the trailer before you use this method. On my 14, I usually just point it down a fairly steep hill, and let gravity hold the mast. Hope this helps.
Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 8:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the thoughts. I've considered the manual lift method, even when I'm on my own, but the mast step link I purchased from Hobie won't allow me to bring the mast completely vertical without hanging up real bad. Maybe I can modify it somehow, because once the mast begins to tension the shrouds, it's easy to hold in position.

Many thanks for you thoughts. What do you use for a mast step link?

Thanks again.

Dan in Vermont
'79 Hobie 16

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 8:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Dan,
What do you mean "the mast link hangs up real bad"? Is it catching on the mast step itself?
Nick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 8:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey Dan this is yet another problem that I overcame last year cause I to like to hoist the ol mast up by hand and solo. having the girl freind around every now and then just wasent happening for me so I decided I needed to be able to do it by myself LOL. Any way I just bought the new stepping link that hobie makes it has a hoel for the 14 and 16. One question though how old is the mast base on your mast because kinda like me you have an old boat dosent mean its bad though right :) I know on the really early boats such as mine that the mast base had a hook design rather than a hole that a pin went through and these were modified by drilling a hole in them later because the hook would inebiably break. WEll I just replaced the whole mast foot on teh end of the mast with a brand new one. With the new foot and stepper link mine goes up just fine solo I just lift her up and stop just shy of completely vertical cause much past this point the pin will bind in the link because you are then pulling the link forward with the mast. So just bend down holding hte mast with your left hand and pull the pin when its almost to the vertical position. Thats what I do then I shove it all the way to the vertical so it just stays there grab the forestay jump off the front of the boat and pin it in to the bridals. :) That has been my meathod any way but I think that earlier post about mabye tin ga line to the trailer and holding it tha tway till you get it pinned is a really good idea as well. But I dont think its worth investing in a ez stepping system I mean hell that mast is pretty light Devon can move it around thats my girl friend so most of those ppl with winchs and what have you are just lazy. Hope that helps.
Lee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 2:44 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi, Dan
My boat also tends to hang up since I installed the newer step link. One thing that seems to make it easier is to remove the bungee cord from the trap lines ( if you haven't already) On mine that makes a world of difference. The earlier design links seemed to work better. I also have a 14 on which the newer link seems to mess up. I have to remove the link to allow the mast to rotate properly. My boat is an '84, so it came new with the link, I don't know about 79's.
Good sailing,
Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 7:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the thoughts....I wicked appreciate you taking the time to reply.

When I used the new mast stepping link, I can't have the mast quite to vertical before removing the pin due to it being pinched between the mast's base the the mast base on the front cross-bar. I'll try to snap a few pictures....but I's sure like a little more solid link that allows the mast to swing completely vertical and still allow me to remove the pin w/out vise-grips.

Does anyone know how to post a picture???

In the end the simple eye-bolt and rope to the front of the trailer sounds like it may be the best and simplist solution. I was mostly worried about dropping the mast solo....

I too have noted that if I bungee the trap wires to the corner of the front cross bar, that the tension is very touch. Too little and it's easy to have the mast tip. too much and it's hard to connect the forestay to the adjuster... Again, skipping this connection and raising the mast by hand will likely avoid this situation.

Thanks as always.

Dan in Vermont
'79 Hobie 16 w/funky mast stepping link.

Post subject: ez-step
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 9:35 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

How does the ez-step system attach the trap wires to the front crossbar w/o adding something to the boat or the wire? Does anyone have a diagram or instructions that come with the ez-step kit? Are you supposed to use a rope in the wench connected to the forstay on the other end?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 7:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I made my own stepping rig this summer. My shoulder is getting bad and the over the head part of solo raising the mast hurts like hell. I put a trailer winch on the front side of the trailer mast which holds the mast up when travelling. I put a roller in the bottom of the V where the mast rides. I run a 1/2" poly line up and over the roller and back to the Jib shroud wire. I put a small shackle on the back side of the Nicro press lug so that the eye of the shroud is free when you get it up. Here's the important part- You need to prop the boom up as high as you can before you start to hoist. This takes the strain off of the trailer parts. The trap wires are run forward and you can attach a small line to each front corner casting and put a small shackle on it to attach the trap wires. Don't make them too tight as you need some freedom so it won't bind as it goes up. Once you get all the lines adjusted to the right lengths it's easy to raise or lower the mast with the winch. Use a bungie cord to hold the prop onto the mast as it goes up. You should be able to reach it to detach it after it's up. The hardest part is remembering to stop and put the prop in place before you get too low as it's coming back down. It works great and my shoulder can now be saved for the more important things like tugging on the mainsail sheet.
Good luck,
Ken McG

Post subject: I own an ez stepper
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 5:03 am 
I bought mine over the summer. $140. from Murray's. Without question, I think it is one of the best investments I have made. I usually end up rigging in a parking lot full of cars, vans, windsurfers,kite guys and clammers. It adds stability to the process and gives me confidence that the mast is not going get away from me causing damage to people or property. I would highly recomend it.

Post subject: solo mast rigging
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 4:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This may seem like overkill, but it sure works great for me: I sail my 16 mostly alone and rig by myself. I attached a second trailer winch just below the regular one, and made a height extender for the mast crutch that slips in place after unloading the mast. Then I slide it into position so the top of the mast rests on a plastic folding sawhorse behind the Hobie when it is pinned to the link at the step and ready to raise. The second winch ($15) has two 3/16" low stretch lines wound on. One on each side leads to small blocks at the forward tramp corners and snap shackles to the trapeeze wire thimbles. I shackle the main winch line (again low stretch) to the jib halyard block and make the the second winch (preventer) tight. This makes for 100% control as I raise or lower the mast since I can perfectly adjust the tension of the preventers as the mast angle changes (neccesary to prevent the mast falling off to one side or the other especially near the bottom (down) position. A little extra rigging but total control and safety for the solo sailor...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 11:10 am 
Dreamer, great idea. I also use a saw horse to support the end of the mast.

Post subject: mast stepping
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 6:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The idea of a saw horse is puzzling me. If you are trying to get the mast high enough to ease the strain on the winch mechanism you need to get it a bit higher (say 8 or 10 feet above ground at the masthead). Of course if you have one of the jib pole type mechanisms it lifts the righting line from the winch high enough. I find a simple 8 foot 2 x 4 with a "v" cut in the top and a bungee cord to attach it to the mast works great to prop it up.
Fly a hull,
Ken McG

Post subject: mast stepping
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 9:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The sawhorse (one of the folding plastic ones) is high enough to keep the mast (and the bob float) off the ground, and the extension for the trailer crutch with a shackled pulley gets the winch pull up high enough to do the trick. The pulley is shackled so the winch and its line can be easily converted from normal trailer duty to mast stepping duty without untying a knot so the line can be fed through the pulley. The pulley just stays loose on the line when it is in trailer mode. A key feature of this setup is that the trailer crutch extension ( a piece of 3" square tube about 36" long ) is made to slip on a bracket bolted to the front of the stock mast crutch with a ring to clip the shackle to. This makes it really quick to set up for mast stepping but still keep the crutch low for trailering. By the way, I've converted all my shackles to the captive pin type, and among other things that makes it easier to handle the forestay clip in and eliminates the lost pin disasters when doing it all alone... The winches also make it easy to position the mast just right to attach or drop the forestay and pin or unpin the stepping link.