Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 9:34 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm sure I am not the only one who has experienced the "geyser" that occasionally comes up thru the Mirage Drive Well. Here is my solution. The material is called Dry Fast 50.

Dry Fast is a reticulated polyester foam, primarily used in making outdoor cushions. Its perfect for this application because it easily conforms to the space between the Drive Well Plug and the sides of the boat thus preventing the force of the water from pushing thru. It's open cell structure allows water to rapidly flow out, so it is not a tight seal. I found some remnant pieces at a local sail & marine canvas shop. I paid $20.00 for a 48" x 48" x 3/4" piece. (Enough to last me a long time). They called it "Dry Fast 50" (50 indicating the density). It cuts easily with just the blade from a box cutter and a straight edge.

The ones I made measure 15" x 3 ½". I attached a short line to one end, and tied the other end to the Crossbar so I don't lose them. I stuff it down into the back end only of the Drive Well. I found that using just one on the back side was best, but I may experiment with an additional narrower piece (15" x 2") on the front end as well.

Another use: I cut a larger piece that just covers the front Drive Well Area where I lay my anchor so it doesn't scuff the boat.

This is a picture of what I call my "Old Man Rope". It's a piece of 3/4" nylon? about 45" long with two figure eight knots that I use it to help pull myself up from, or down to my seat. Go ahead and laugh but it really helps, and at my age I'll take whatever help I can get. 8)

2014 Tandem Island

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 11:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

:D You are not an Old Man but a Wise Old Man that uses his brain to prevent a strain. Thank You for sharing your Yak Wisdom!!!

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 2:25 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

FraznDaf,
Thanks.
If I only knew now what I should have know then. :roll:

2014 Tandem Island

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 9:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you for sharing this idea - by the way, are you sure that the anchor is big enough :D ?

I have been considering this one for TI http://cooperanchors.com/

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 8:13 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Seppowa,
I checked out the cooper site and their anchors look very interesting indeed. The only problem is I don't think they're set up to distribute in the US. I'm waiting to hear back from them, but thank you very much for sending this link.

Actually I was thinking my anchor wasn't big enough. :shock: Seriously, my friend has an aluminium G-5 Commando Anchor, and in testing his against mine on the beach, mine slipped out out of the sand and his dug in. When I inquired at West Marine which anchor was best for Florida's (sandy bottoms) they recommended a Danforth as opposed to a "claw or mushroom" style. I think though my anchor blades aren't long enough? I wonder what most of us are using?

2014 Tandem Island

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 8:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here in Hawaii I've had good luck with the Danforth anchor with a few feet of chain on it, but not good luck with the smaller folding kayak anchors like the one from Hobie. All depends on the makeup of the bottom. Sandy bottom here on Maui too.