Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 7:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm looking at purchasing a TI in the near future and was hoping to get some information from TI / Trailex users. It looks like some people are going with the Trailex SUT-200-S, while others are using the SUT-350-s. Does anyone have recommendations on which is a better solution? I will be taking some long trips (NC to FL) and don't know if one is better than the other for highway speeds, stability, ride, etc. I also saw a post here a while back showing a SUT-350-S with three cradles instead of the usual two. This seems like a good idea as I will be storing the TI on the trailer. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 7:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

...also was wondering if I can mount the cradles to a stock 200 or 350 or will I need some additional parts like crossbars? Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 3:01 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Travt,
It's a personal choice. I decided on the SUT 350-S because after much research, I felt it was the right trailer for carrying the TI, and for what I was planning on doing in the future ie: Mast Carrier, Stern Roller, Bow Stop, and soon, a mounting bracket to hold my new Wheel Cart. I store my TI on the trailer as well, hence the 3 saddles. It handles fine on the Highway at the recommended speed by the manufacture, and I like the versatility of their design. It just depends on what you want to do, and what you can afford to spend.

The folks at Trailex are superb people to work with. Yes, I did have to separately order 3, 2" x 2" crossbars, because I wanted some wider support for the saddles to rest on.

Here is the link to the post about my trailer. viewtopic.php?f=69&t=35469
I can tell you that, since I built my trailer, our local Hobie dealer has been ordering the same one. :wink:
Good Luck.

2014 Tandem Island

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 3:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Wow, nice job on that trailer. I think I will probably go with the 350 as well. If nothing else it has leafsprings while the 200 does not seem to. Is there no need for a winch with one of these? How far in the water do you set the trailer for launch and retrieve? BTW what is the recommended trailering speed? (probably don't want to know as it will add a day's driving time to FL :) ) Do you have a good delaer where you are? None close to me. Do they typically stock the TI and trailers? Sorry for the barage of questions but good to find someone with experience.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 11:46 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I just bought a Harbor Freight 4'x8' foldable trailer for $239. It's got 12" wheels. I will need to make a few additions to fit the TI but I'm hoping the total cost for the trailer will be about $550.

I'm planning on putting 3 home-made cradles on it. Looking into using Polyethylene rolling pins (since the TI is made of Poly).

Once it's done and I've had some good (or bad) experiences with it I'll post some photos and comments.

I'm planning to go get my TI ordered Sunday afternoon and if I can finish the trailer pick it up on Monday.

iHop

iHop

Dune TI - 6/4/2011
Camas, WA

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 3:38 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Travt,

Without seeing both trailers side by side I couldn't comment on all the differences, but yes... springs do make for a less jarring ride.
That was one of the reasons I choose the SUT 350-S.

Winch?... It depends on how strong you are. Launching and retrieval from a Boat Ramp varies in difficulty depending on the grade of the ramp and the tide. In most cases it's always an easier situation. I back my trailer down into the water just until see the boat beginning to float off the rear cradle. Everyone develops their own system, one that works best for them, but I'll never be as fast as the guys who cheat with the aid of their outboard engine. :x

When I'm not using a Boat Ramp ie. transporting the TI across a sand beach, I just discovered that my wheel cart also acts as a dolly for assisting me in loading and unloading it back onto my trailer. I personally would be afraid to use a winch, I might be tempted to pull too hard when I shouldn't. So for me personally I'd have to say no to the winch question.

You can check with Trailex, but I believe they recommend a trailering speed of between 55-65 mph. I probably stay closer to the 65, but never 70. I just don't feel safe going that fast. (See what happens when you get old). :shock:

There is a Hobie/Trailex Dealer in West Palm Beach, and a couple on the West Coast as well. Where are you? Hope this helps. Feel free to call me at work any time. 800-780-5292

2014 Tandem Island

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 4:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks again for all the great info. I saw pictures of your dolly in another post and that looks as nice as your trailer setup. I am going to go with the Trailex 350. I saw pictures of a 200 with a winch which, if nothing else, looked like a good way to strap down the bow. I'll probably try it without a winch for the time being. I had shoulder surgery recently so my arm is not a 100% and will probably not be for at least another year or so. we'll just have to see how much of a beast the TI is to load and unload solo. My other thought is that the winch could help reduce the amount that you need to be in the water during launch and retrieval. Not a problem in Florida but not so fun here when the water is frezing in early spring. I'm in northwest NC right now but we are looking to relocate to the West Palm beach area or possibly the greater Tampa area. I'd like to check the dealer out in West Palm Beach. we are in that area for at least a few weeks every year.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 4:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

BTW, I wish more people were like you in regards to towing at reasonable speeds. It never ceases to amaze me to see people fly by me on the freeway at 80 mph towing a U-haul! :shock:

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 7:47 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Travt,
Good point about the colder waters up North. I'm so spoiled living in Florida, and I forget you guys are probably just seeing the last shards of ice leaving your lakes. :lol:
I lived in Maine for several years (past tense) so I vaguely remember what cold water feels like. :wink:
We used to say... "Eight months of Winter, and four months of hard sledding".

Instead of a winch though, I was starting to think about trying a simple block and tackle set up. There are times (certain boat ramps at low tide) when I know I'm straining my back. I would run the block either off the back of my truck, or off the front bow stop of the trailer. If I do this, I'll be sure to take some pictures and post it.

2014 Tandem Island

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm about to enjoy some of that warm Florida sunshine. Leaving next week for a week on Anna Maria island and then a week in west Palm Beach. I'm not sure if I'll have the TI and trailer in time though :cry:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:37 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Travt,
If you have the time, feel free to give me a call when you're going to be in WPB, I live only an hour North of there. I'd be happy to show you my shop; birthplace of The Appel Cart, and my trailer. Do you need a place to stay, maybe we could go sailing together? The winds are supposed to be great next week for going in the ocean. Give me a call anytime: 800-780-5292

2014 Tandem Island

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

When I spoke to Trailex they said they would not sell the trailer for the TI, that they had entered into a contract with Hobie. I therefore bought the trailex trailer in the Hobie catalog along with the saddles. I have no idea if this is a 200 or 350??????

Should I be worried about highway speeds? For me its Interstate 40 from Raleigh to Wilmington and if your going less than 70, you might get rear-ended! I also intend to store my TI on the trailer, will it be damaged if I don't have extra saddles?

Lots of information on these forums it has been a big help! Looking forward to the day I can chime in with my "expert" opinion!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Strange Trailex would tell you that. They said they would sell the 200 or 350 to me direct but then gave me a dealer that would sell me one for the same price with free shipping. I will order some extra 2x2 bars to install the cradles on directly from Trailex. I spoke with Tom there and he has been extremely helpful. He knows exactly what extra parts are need for the TI. He told me that the max recommended trailering speed is 65 for the 350. I would assume that is the same for the 200 as it looks to be the same wheels and axle. My guess would be that you could probably push it to 70 but that is pure conjecture as I haven't towed one of these yet. As far as storage I have been told that as long as you use the cradles you are fine. I am going to go with three cradles on the trailer, using the extra one to make a beach cart, as sEs did. I have also been told that if you get dents in the hull they will come out by setting the boat out in the sun, or pouring hot water on them with slight positive pressure in the hull.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

sun E sailor wrote:
Travt,
If you have the time, feel free to give me a call when you're going to be in WPB, I live only an hour North of there. I'd be happy to show you my shop; birthplace of The Appel Cart, and my trailer. Do you need a place to stay, maybe we could go sailing together? The winds are supposed to be great next week for going in the ocean.

Thanks a lot. I'll get in touch while I'm down there. My in-laws live there so lodging is taken care of. I would like to take a closer look at that cart and/or get dimensions if your willing to give them to me. I am ordering two sets of cradles and will be making a cart with the one left over from the trailer. Unfortunately I won't have my boat for this trip. I won't be able to get it until the end of June :cry: I also wouldn't mind talking to you more about your line of work. I install solar systems and am looking to branch into the FL market. Your work looks like it would have a complimentary skill set.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:27 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Many thanks to DogsLife for inspring me to build my own version of his trailer.

Finished up my trailer last week, it cost me about $400 total. I picked up my new Dune TI from Next Adventure in Portland on Thursday and went Sailing Friday and Saturday on Lacamas Lake about 2 minutes from my house. Lots of fun and lots more to learn!

Folding the Harbor Freight Trailer is probably a non-starter. Taking the fastening bolts out to fold up the Harbor Freight trailer is way too much work, in my opinion. Not to mention if you have added the 3/4" plywood deck, 4x4 beams and 4'x8' Poly Lattice for the TI Cradle.

The best reasons for having a trailer for your TI are:

1. Don't need to take off the amas, just drive up the the water, install the seats, step the mast, drop in the drives and go! Even an ancient rookie like me can do it in 10 minutes.

2. No need to remove the TI from the trailer to store it, the bunk will cradle your baby nice and soft, no worries about deformation when storing on a rack, etc. I ordered a cover to protect my TI during transport and storage.

3. Easy to change vehicles (my wife prefers to take her car when we travel) so I can use any car with a 1-7/8" hitch ball. I priced getting two sets of roof racks and it was more than I paid to build my trailer, not to mention that then I'd have to buy and rig a Garage Gator to lift it.

4. No massive strain getting the TI up and down from the roof. It's about 200lb loaded up. The trailer is high enough to allow me to install the cart in the rear scuppers and just slide her off the trailer. I know you youngsters are happy to flex your muscles but I save my strength for the tennis court.

I haven't tried just launching directly from the trailer into the water from a ramp, last weekend was way too crowded at the lake. Once I get good at that launching and loading will be about 5 minutes each.

5. Less danger of damage loading/unloading (both to myself and my TI). Also probably will get better mileage towing than car topping.

I'll post some more photos of the finished trailer on this site later. Meanwhile, here are some shots of the materials I used and base structure of the unit.

This is the almost finished product, simple design: 3/4" plywood deck bolted to the trailer frame plus 8 ft. 4x4 lag screwed to the deck.

Lag screws through angle iron:

Front view:

4x8 ft. plastic privacy lattice (denser than standard lattice):

Exterior screws to hold lattice to 4x4 beams (easy to screw below flush):

Since this trailer is too short to handle the TI I added an 18" extension from Harbor Freight plus 72" heavy duty safety chain.

iHop

Dune TI - 6/4/2011
Camas, WA