Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was just wondering if any of you AI owners have attempted to install the TI's mast and sail on your AI or if that is even possible. I have seen a video of adding a jib, but I was curious what would happen if an AI had 90sq feet of sail area as opposed to 56.

Thanks
Paul
So Great to Sail![/color]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am TI owner and don't own an AI, but have sailed with several AI's. The AI is a really nice boat and handles higher winds more comfortable than my TI, my TI tends to weather helm in over 20 knot winds (with the old rudder) unless you reef the sail. I think if you put a larger sail on it will bury your AMA's that much quicker (once they bury you loose alot of your speed) so you won't gain anything on the top end (the existing sail over powers the boat in higher winds anyway). In low winds you may gain a little. I would be careful you don't want to tear out the mast holder (i'm sure it's only designed to take so much stress). With a displacement hull your top speed is determined by the boat length, not neccessarily the sail size. I added a jib to mine, this way I just leave it furled if I don't need it, makes more sense.
Bob

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:20 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Bob,
That makes sense; I have been a long time reader and have never joined the forum. I really enjoy all of the experience and knowledge you guys share. It just something I was wondering about. I currently own a 2009 Oasis and 14’ buccaneer sail boat. After reading about all of the fun you guys have on the AI’s and TI’s, I pretty much have full blown island fever. So I see a trade in of the Oasis in my future. Thanks again for insight.
May good winds always blow you way
Paul

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:45 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

There have been a few jibs on AIs but haven't seen larger sails. I think the guys in Hawaii making their AI with TI parts hybrids would have posted something if it was sound to have a larger sail.
A boom to hold the shape of the sail may get you more speed but might also stress the mast more.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Gr82sail:
Thats exactly what I did, I traded in my 2007 oasis for the TI at the Hobie dealer, they gave me a great price for the Oasis (Used Hobies are rare, difficult to find and really hold their value well, I'm sure the dealer sold it within a week).
To add a jib you can follow my posting on adding sails ( I have 265 sq ft of sail area) ( viewtopic.php?f=69&t=33720) titled ultimate tandem island (hydrofoils, spinnaker,jib,etc). It shows all the designs and could be applied to either an AI or a TI. I'm out every single weekend with my TI and just love it, it's by far the most versitile boat out there today, we even scuba dive off of ours (me and my wife, with 4 tanks, and all diving gear)
Bob

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the info Bob,
That’s one tricked out TI! Wow 265ft of sail you must fly. Of course that is probably with you spinnaker deployed in a low wind situation but still I wonder how much more velocity that buys you? I am actually in Jacksonville FL this week for work it has been a nice day for a sail so I guess you guys are out skimming across the waves today.

Fair winds
Paul