Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Matt

I have a one and a half inch tear in my Hobie 16 trampoline... I could sew a patch on it, but I thought it might be better (and maybe easier) to release the tension, glue or heat weld a piece of vinyl underneath, and then tension it again. My goal is simply to prevent it from getting worse. I'm in San Diego... Could I stop by in Oceanside sometime and pick up a little square of vinyl tramp material? If not, maybe you know the type of vinyl and the temperature used in the heat welding process? I hate to buy a new trampoline for one little tear...

Many thanks-

Kevin

Post subject: Repair
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:25 pm 
Site Admin

Bring it by and I will see if we can just do it here. That or I will get you some vinyl pieces. Email me to set up a time. Use [email protected] that can get to me.

Also, there is a Tiger forum topic where they are talking about repairing using a pair of irons to do the heat welding.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject: Tramp Repair
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wish I would have thought to ask first. I had a one and a half inch tear in my H-18 mesh tramp. I repaired it by taping duct tape to the bottom of the tramp in the tear area and using epoxy, carbon fiber tape and fiberglass cloth on top. It worked all summer and should last a few seasons.

Post subject: Hobie Tramp Repair
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:48 am 
Site Admin

Kevin, Got your email and have tried responding a few times. Perhaps something is wrong with your email address?

Call Me (760) 758-9100

Matt

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject: This is why I sail Hobie
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

What a company! And what a rep in Matt Miller! Matt, I would like to take a moment to say thank you for all that you do. You go out of your way all the time for us and I want to make sure you know that it is appreciated.

Thanks,

Collin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Does anyone in this forum know what would be involved in replacing hiking straps on a H16 ? Would it be best if I took the tramp to a professional ? Any help would be welcome.

Thanks,

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Years ago, when the original straps got tired and broke, people made their own.

Cut off the remaining damaged strap/s or leave any original "sections" that you deem in good shape. At the point where straps are sewn to the tramp, install a set of grommets. Use a piece of scrap yacht line, covered with a tubular piece of closed (or open) cell foam. Most common is used for insulating small water pipes. Dead end the line, at each end, on the bottom side of the tramp. This will allow you to detemine how loose or tight you want the straps. I personally like the straps a bit looser than stock.

Only as "pretty" as the insulation material you use, but functional and cheap. Most hardware stores carry a grommet kit with tool for less than $10.

Post subject: Hiking Straps
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:10 am 
Site Admin

I had a boat with the grommets and rope'n foam tube straps. They worked well and were adjustable.

You can aslo take it to an auto upholstery shop. They have all of the right equipment for sewing on a trampoline. They can sew webbing (seat belt strap?) to make new straps. Make sure they don't sew them to tight. We also put a twist in our straps so you can get your foot under them.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hello Matt,

Thanks for the info. Noted was your comment about the straps being too tight. Especially the recommended twist. Although I was trying to think of sometning, I would never have thought of that. Do you know what the recommended lenghth of strap might be between the points of anchor on the tramp??? Is there any added length recommended for the twist???

Thanks for all your help,

David

Post subject: Tension?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:41 pm 
Site Admin

Tension on the webbing straps.

The loft keeps the tramp taunt. Pulls the strap out with a 180 degree twist then adds 2 finger widths extra strap at each sew down point. Too lose and you can slip leg under the strap. Too tight and you can't get a foot under. The 180 twist allows you to get a foot under even when reasonably tight. If left flat, they stick to the tramp and it is a hassle to get a foot in. Remember that when the tramp is on the boat it also is stretched tight by the lacing.

As another option...the Hobie 20 system is really good. The strap anchors at / on the front crossbar. Instead of stitching it down at each point, we added webbing loops it tucks through. At the aft end of the strap we make a loop. Another loop is added at the aft on the tramp. A line then ties through the two loops and is used to tension the strap fore and aft.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Matt,
I want to thank you for all the info you provided me with in this post concerning hiking straps. Took my tramp to a sailmaker and he followed your instructions to the letter. I could't have been more pleased. I even had a couple of tramp pockets sewn on. The tramp was already in excellent condition which made the upgrades well worth it. Thanks again.

David

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm adding my question to this post because it's similar. I read all these and am hoping the solution to my problem is the similar. (we'll ok I mean similar in hope to patch it not take it to the factory since I'm in KY).

I just bought an H16 from a neighbor who said he doesn't have time to keep it up anymore. I'm thrilled because I've enjoyed sailing a hobie cat on several occasions but never personally been the care taker of one.

This one may been a bit of TLC, but I'm up for the task. The first question I have is regarding the tramp repair. It was in an ice storm here in Lexington KY when a tree branch fell and pierced the tramp. I think it's about an 8" hole and pretty narrow. The tramp is the black mesh kind, but I have a light blue (solid?) used tramp to replace if needed. From my understanding the mesh is more desirable so I'd like to keep that on and save the blue for later (maybe).

Can I buy a 1'-square or so patch of the black nylon mesh? There is an apholstery shop down the road that I believe can help me sew it on. I want to do the best job possible so I'm doing all the reading/research possible first.

One more factor is the cold. It's in the low 30's now, but weather changes quickly here. Can the patch be sewn on while the tramp is on and tight? Will the cold be a serious problem? What temp is OK to work in? I hope that I don't have to remove it and take it into the shop. The shop has a big area that they bring cars in but the cars are "classic" and I imagine that the space inside makes the repair bill more expensive. I'd like to get a little help from them and do more myself (outside if possible).

The main sail and jib are in OK shape with a little duct tape on the main. I have a spare main where the stitching has come out of one of the lower sections and I'd like to get it in good shape in case I need a good spare on a trip. Is this something that I might take to the upholstery shop or is this crazy? What kind of thread (if you call it that) should they use? I imagine that mailing it to a sailmaker/repair is going to be expensive.

Advice welcome.

Thanks,

-Derek

Post subject: Tramp vinyl
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:47 am 
Site Admin

Tramp vinyl. You can get a piece through a dealer, but any vinyl will work for a patch. The patch should be under the tramp. Only way to repair while on the boat would be to hand stitch.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject: Re: Repair
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

mmiller wrote:

Also, there is a Tiger forum topic where they are talking about repairing using a pair of irons to do the heat welding.

The tiger repair sounds like"the patch" is not just some vinyl material? but an actual patch?
If sewn what is the thread used? Patch only on one side or both?
thnkz

Post subject: Vinyl
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:03 am 
Site Admin

Vinyl trampolines are welded not stitched, so a patch welded onto the trampoline would be better.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)