Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help with Mast rake?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey guys, I've had a '74 H16 for a few years, but I just bought a H14 because not everyone can sail with me all the time, and i need a boat to solo easily in stronger winds. For the most part I understand the H14, but there is one thing I'm curious about.

I remember a year or so back some guy showed me this (block system was it?) line which allowed him to rake his mast within about 5 to 10 degrees, without undoing any shrouds or bridle wires. I seem to remember it being attached to the head of the mast and running down to the bridle, but instead of being secured to the jib halyard cleat, it was secured in a clam cleat system like a jib sheet almost. (was it just a jib forestay perhaps?). I don't remember the specifics because I wasn't interested in 14's at the time, but now I would like one of those, as it seems it would be useful for tacking. The H14 I just bought is a 78 and it has nothing of the sort on it, pretty much just the basics actually.

So do you guys know what I'm talking about, is it common, where do I buy one? I feel like a n00b to sailing all over again.

Thanks for any help, Peter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:10 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Bob Curry (multiple National and World Champion) wrote a tuning guide for the 14 a few years ago.

Here's the link to the illustrated version:

http://www.thebeachcats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=Hobie-14-Tuning-Guide&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Post subject: Mast Rake Line
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Okay well that tuning guide showed just a line going from essentially a jib fairlead to the bridle with a knot in the end. simple, and makes sense, but I think I'll just make up my own rig so that it balances the force on both sides of the crossbeam, relative to the mast. I just dont like the idea of raking the mast entirely with force on one side of the boat. Or was I seeing something wrong?

Post subject: Rake line?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:08 pm 
Site Admin

Rake line? The line to the bridles is only used slack up wind and then tensioned downwind when there is little load on the forestay.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject: Mast Rake
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

O ok, that makes alot of sense, I guess the guy I saw had just used a jib halyard line to do the work, because I know he wasn't sailing a Turbo. I had the impression from all this discussion on raking 14s that they were simple to rake with some line while under windpower. But that system makes sense, and then i guess it doesnt matter where the load is distributed. Thanks Matt.