Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Traded in my Windrider 16 + Cash at Illinois Hobie dealer "Sailing World Inc". Very positive purchase experience! I'm very excited about having a boat I can beach launch and step the mast solo without nearly breaking my clavicle in the wind! (Long story).

I want to introduce myself to the group. I sail, paddle, and I guess now pedal on Lake Michigan out of Chicago Illinois. I kept my trailer from the Windrider and spent about 4 hours this afternoon beginning to modifying it for the AI. The next step is looking for a cheap set of beach wheels.

I'm very exited about the new boat and look forward to posting pictures of my modified trailer rig to get some feedback from the group about bunk locations, ideal support areas and whatnot.

My only question at this point is about the creaky / squeaky rudder control handle. Has anyone with a 2011 AI and new rudder experienced this? I removed the twist hatch and felt the mechanism while it was moving and everything seemed to be moving correctly except the squeakiness was still there. Any feedback, advice, or theories would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Motti in Chicago (Oak Park)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

On one early AI we had a squeak in the handle and found it was the spring on the inside. I reached in and turned it over 90 degrees and it went away. Maybe the same?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Rotated it, or removed and flipped it? Thanks for the tip!

Motti

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just rotated it. Took 20 seconds and the sound was gone for good.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just rotated it and the sound disappeared for about five cycles of the rudder handle back and forth until the sound came back. As the handle moved back and forth it turned the spring back to the original position. The noise is a bit unnerving, as though the bottom of the spring is winding into something. In the least I think that it will probably cause the spring to loose its shape over time or dig/gouge into the part beneath it. Any ideas about how to freeze the spring in the silent rotated position? I wonder if this is normal or a small manufacturing anomaly, like a missing washer or sharp ended spring that wasn't rounded off.

Motti

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

OK, try turning it the other direction.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:53 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

No dice. I can only turn it in one direction, and after 5 or so sweeps of the handle I'm back to the noise.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:03 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

why did you get rid of the windrider?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Motti,
Have a look at the new rudder install video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLNdFtJkR8Y.
At about 8:35 into the video listen carefully. Is that the same noise? If yes then try a bit of silicon spray on the spring assembly. I wouldn't worry too much about it as most Hobies I've seen have it.

Last edited by stringy on Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The Windrider was great but......

1. The Windrider has a very heavy vaka or main hull (not really transportable by one person so not beach launch-able by myself)

2. The Windrider has a non-telescoping / non-folding 13" beam - I live 10 minutes west of downtown Chicago and there are no boat ramps in Chicago wider than 11" so trailer launching was impossible unless I drove 50 minutes away to Hammond, IN or Glencoe, IL. I can launch the AI at multiple kayak put-ins and beaches in the city if I car-top the AI or find a place to leave my trailer.

3. The Windrider has a very wet ride, but you sit in a tub, so there is a need for frequent bailing or using a humongous spray skirt that sits very high.

4. I always dress for conditions so I would be wearing my dry suit on Lake Michigan for 1/3 of the season in either the Windrider or AI so an enclosed cockpit was not a big advantage to me.

5. The aluminum mast on the Windrider is taller and much heavier than that of the AI. I like to sail on the lake solo and that involves solo setup and take-down. The Windrider mast was a beast in 20 knot winds.

6. The Mirage Drive is MUCH more elegant than a 2hp two-stroke, and paddling the Windrider was awkward at best.

7. Company product support and serious community enthusiasm- There are so many people active in the Hobie AI community that the problems that crop up seem to get quick feedback and attention from a devoted group of owners. (great stories as well!!)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Stringy,

Good call!! It is exactly the same noise at 8:35 - comes through loud and clear in the video. So just spray a bit of silicon and ignore? Simple is always better!

Thanks,

Motti

stringy wrote:
Motti,
Have a look at the new rudder install video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLNdFtJkR8Y.
At about 8:35 into the video listen carefully. Is that the same noise? If yes then try a bit of silicon spray on the spring assembly. I wouldn't worry too much about it as most Hobies I've seen have it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good call on the choice of colour Motti. Dune is far closer to the traditional colour of kayaks and canoes used through the ages and looks like it actually should be on water and not at Disneyland... :shock: 8) Pirate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:44 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Pirate wrote:
Good call on the choice of colour Motti. Dune is far closer to the traditional colour of kayaks and canoes used through the ages and looks like it actually should be on water and not at Disneyland... :shock: 8) Pirate

Yes I agree, Dune does look as though it's from the dark ages, Red ones are terribly little Red riding hood, but the Yellow, its bold and fast :lol:

:oops: Ouch!!! Stop throwing empty beer bottle's at me. :? :oops: :lol: :lol:

edit; PS: congrats on getting the AI, your gunna luv'it!!! OW and Dune's not that bad, in fact I would be a little jelous :mrgreen: if they weren't so slow :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ouch...now that really hurt...LOL. They are all good but I just got back from Alaska where I noted with some delight that the Alabaskan Indians shunned the red and yellow colours for canoes sticking to the subtler colours of dune, and they have all the right credentials to nail the most appropriate colour I think you would agree....Pirate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pirate wrote:
I just got back from Alaska where I noted with some delight that the Alabaskan Indians shunned the red and yellow colours for canoes sticking to the subtler colours of dune, and they have all the right credentials to nail the most appropriate colour I think you would agree....Pirate

Well, low visibility is probably a desirable trait for them.