Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: PA Seat Modification
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 12:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Just received mine in the mail. Will be working on this ASAP. I cannot wait to have that 2" clearance, although I pounded the fish last night there's always a "surprise" under the seat the following day. This is the cure to that problem, at least for me it is. :)

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 6:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

:D Excellent mod!!! Took 31 min to install, flawless operation.
Your original supply list worked fine , no need for the bolt at 2 1/2" as someone had mentioned. Having access to a 7/16 socket screwdriver and like size wrench will have this project licked.Anyone having difficulty mounting the lever side, simply hold the nylon threaded nut in place with your finger, then slide the bolt in and slowly tighten. Make sure all four bolts have the nut threaded before tightening down. Very easy install, and the finished product should be OEM at some point in time from the benifits incurred.
I have expanded my 360 degrees of valuable real estate using this mod. Extra storage on each side of the seat, and now there's easy access to under it. The center hatch is more accessable, and cleaning is a breeze. There are no down sides to this. Two thumbs way up. :mrgreen: Kudos JoeyB.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 5:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

sifisto wrote:
:D Excellent mod!!! Took 31 min to install, flawless operation.
Your original supply list worked fine , no need for the bolt at 2 1/2" as someone had mentioned. Having access to a 7/16 socket screwdriver and like size wrench will have this project licked.Anyone having difficulty mounting the lever side, simply hold the nylon threaded nut in place with your finger, then slide the bolt in and slowly tighten. Make sure all four bolts have the nut threaded before tightening down. Very easy install, and the finished product should be OEM at some point in time from the benifits incurred.
I have expanded my 360 degrees of valuable real estate using this mod. Extra storage on each side of the seat, and now there's easy access to under it. The center hatch is more accessable, and cleaning is a breeze. There are no down sides to this. Two thumbs way up. :mrgreen: Kudos JoeyB.

Glad you like it and I totally agree that it should be added to future models.

I see that you are hitting the stripers pretty hard in NJ...awesome job. Born and raised in NJ and still have Hobie family there...lol Should have my brother hook up with you in the future.

Best, JoeyB

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 4:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Had the PA on the water yesterday catching fish, the seat mod worked great, no issue what-so-ever with this ever being a warranty issue/problem. Was able to store two extra tackle boxes which freed up my space, and no misc. stuff under the seat after a hard chunk for stripers. Time to clean fish. JoeyB, your brother is welcome anytime. :D

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 4:45 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Still think this is one of the best mods out there...but I have a question. Say for instance you have an Evolve, or some other motor assist rigged on. The discussion of reversing the Mirage drive comes to mind in that if you were to put a 360 swivel mount on, would the seat clear that aft bulkhead, to where you could rest your feet on the back tray? Do they even make a sliding, swivel mount :) Therefore instead of pedaling the vessel backwards, you just change the pilot's position. :D I think most of you can picture what I'm talking about. Boy, talk about your cargo space in the hull if you put your feet backwards :)

And all of us are aware of warranty issues, so on, and so forth. This would be for sake of argument that either the owner didn't care, or the warranty had expired anyway. Just wondering if the bottom of the seat would clear the rear bulkhead, and/or if anyone has thought of it.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Quote:
Therefore instead of pedaling the vessel backwards, you just change the pilot's position. I think most of you can picture what I'm talking about.

Not even lol

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 8:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ok ......... so you turn the seat around so you face backwards .......... so how do you pedal .......... where does the mirage drive go ........... can't picture it ......... also a forward and reverse helps the control around pilings you can change from forward to reverse instantly whe you get a fish on and have to get it away from the pilings

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 9:33 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Memory Maker wrote:
Ok .........so you turn the seat around so you face backwards ..........so how do you pedal .......... where does the mirage drive go ........... can't picture it ......... also a forward and reverse helps the control around pilings you can change from forward to reverse instantly whe you get a fish on and have to get it away from the pilings

CurtnAz wrote:
Say for instance you have an Evolve, or some other motor assist rigged on

No need to pedal, you have a motor :) Wouldn't put a swivel on if I had to pedal :D Also, in my case, there are no pilings, obstructions, instrusions, or anything to interfere....besides a cliff wall :) Fish on in my case would be, kill the motor and reel in....
All a swivel seat would be, is an option to turn around and watch your line behind you, while allowing the vessel to track as it was designed to...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:16 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I don't catch the advantage to have the seat slide frontward.

I'de would be better to have it slide back to resolve the difficulty of opening the lures hatch or strech legs, no? :?:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

felvic wrote:

I'de would be better to have it slide back to resolve the difficulty of opening the lures hatch or strech legs, no? :?:

It slides forwards and backwards...PLUS, it adds approximately 2" in height...so access to the front hatch is a breeze now. Makes cleaning around the seat area much easier and adds extra storage space underneath.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

felvic wrote:

The advantage to having the seat slide forward is for short people like me, i think my drive is currently on #2 hole......

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:13 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thank you for responses... :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

felvic wrote:
Thank you for responses... :wink:

I think that would be for people that are "vertically challenged". :D
You know too short to reach the pedals. :P

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

As a result of the positive comments contained in this thread, I am planning on purchasing and installing a slide for my PA seat. To date, have there been any failures or negative issues with this mod?? Regards......

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

None on my end! Still works like a charm!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next