Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: very old rudder asembly
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yikes, I took my recently acquired 1980 16 out for a test sail yesterday and discovered problems similar to the ones I first encountered with my 83 version. Using my 83 to help solve the 80 doesn't work well. My 83 has an adjustment mechanism on the top of the upper rudder casting. The 80 does not. Anyway as I tried to sail the 80 yesterday I soon found that the rudders were not locking down and I was dealing with some serious helm problems! Yeah, yeah, I know I should have noticed sooner, but I didn't and today I tried to see what's what and discovered that I can't use my 83 as a good model. I found some helpful advice in "product support" but would appreciate somebody to tell me what I have to do to make the thing right. It looks like i probably need new cams and plungers. But the cams are held in by something that I don't think I can reproduce. I think the tiller connectors(1152005 in Hobie 06/07 catalog) are bent so I plan to replace them too. So far haven't been able to release the port side rudder adjuster screw either. Thanks for any advice, rip

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:41 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

The "rivet" or flare pin that acts as the cam axle it pretty simple. Just drill the end out and pop it out. The new cam kits come with a screw assembly to replace the flare pins.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:44 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey thanks knotty, I wonder where one might find that kind of info w/o this forum. Now I wonder if I need to replace the entire upper rudder casting so it will have the adjustment screw on top. Or is that adjustment only a "nice to have" thing. I think that I am beginning to understand that the upper adjustment was put there to assist in rudder rake, and that if I need to adjust rake on my '80 16, without buying new castings, I will have to drill one(or both) new holes in the rudder blades. Someone please confirm. Thanks, rip

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Dear me! :oops: I just read pages 3 & 4 of the "sailguide" pdf and went out and checked the boats again and discover that the little adjustment screw in the top of the upper casting of my newer 16 is there to help firm up things once adjustments are made, not to adjust rake in any way. And that indeed to adjust rake, if needed, I will have to follow the new hole(s) in the rudders process. I also see that one of the tiller tubes is slightly bent(in a horizontal fashion) which will prevent good rudder alignment. The tiller tubes on both of my elderly Hobies have slight vertical bends, but the catalog only shows straight black tubes. Will straight tubes work on my boats? Thanks again, rip
Rather than add another reply to myself I will edit this post by an addition to the info I have discovered. Comparing my 83 to the 80 again I think I know what happened to the 80. Somebody reversed the upper rudder castings on the 80! Anyway that's what it looks like and I am going to reverse them back so that I can get the rudders parallel with the adjustments on the end of the tiller crossbar. Phew!