Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Back in the 60's and 70's I owned/sailed the Hobie 14, then the 16 and finally the 18.
Thus, I'm familiar with those I've had in the past but need guidance on what would be best for me at this point in life.

Given: Age 64, height 6'4", weight 205#.
Will be sailing 95% of the time solo.
Boat will be kept on the public beach, thus I'm going to purchase a used rig.
Health - adequate for my age, still jog 3 miles every day.

Now, I have never seen or sailed a 17SE.

Back when I had the 16 and only weighted 165# but I was able to right the 16 using a device that extended the shroud line - as I remember it was a chain plate extension gizmo. Assume that device, or better, can still be acquired.

First question: Can a solo chap right a 17SE, or is it prohibitive?

Second question: Given the above, am I nuts to consider a 17SE? Should I go for the 16SE?

Thanks,
Jack

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

17 hands down. It's designed specifically for solo sailing. You can right it solo, but carry a righting water bag if you're concerned.

sm

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:26 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

What srm said... plus hiking out off of the wings is a hoot... especially off the wind, the rear of the wing is angled just such that you are basically standing over your rudder! Wooo Hooo!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'd test drive before I'd decide.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So the replies so far favor the 17, but should I seek out a 17SE or a Sport?
Again, solo sailing 95% of the time.

Last, boat must be kept on the beach, so with the 17 being heavier than the 16, can a chap single handed move the 17 from the Gulf's edge about 40' up the shore to the storage site, figuring I buy a CatTrax?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The 16 and 17 are virtually the same weight, within about 10 to 20 pounds of each other and depending on the year, the 17 could be lighter than a 16. If you can move a 16, you can move a 17. Also keep in mind that the boat will drop a significant amount of weight when you remove the sail, boom, and possibly wings.

Cat trax are recommended for moving the 17 around on the beach because you want to minimize the amount of sand that gets in the centerboard trunk. Sand in the trunk puts radial scratches on the centerboards and can also cause the boards to get stuck.

The 17SE and Sport are virtually the same boat with the exception of the jib and boom. You can convert a 17 SE into a Sport or vice-versa however the 17SE is really ideal for solo sailing. It's simple, fast, has a moderately powerful rig and is an all around fun boat.

sm

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I sailed a 1979 H16 for 20 years before getting a 2000 H17Sport. I solo ~ 90% of the time, mostly in good to higher winds (10 - 30 knots). The H17Sport is by far the better solo boat. It is faster, and can be driven much harder than the 16, especially in a blow. The wings are to die for, you can get your weight way out or use them as a back rest - sweet. The only down side is if you like to fly-hi the wings dig in and slow the boat way down. I like the sport over the SE for the jib (the boomlet is also nice if you have a passanger - easier for them to get back and forth across the tramp). In light winds the jib keeps you form becomming a statue and on a broad reach in a blow it really adds boat speed. If it is blowing too hard, just furl it. RIGHTING: With the H16 I almost always had to use a righting bucket to recover from a capsize even though I'm 6'1" and 200 lbs. I can usually right the H17Sport without aid, but keep the righting bucket lashed under the tramp for those occasions where the extra lift is needed (e.g., to keep from getting too tired from leaning out for a long time, at 57 years old I tire quicker than I use to - go figure). Cattrax - GET THEM - it will save your back and hulls. Hope this helps. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:07 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

With quick pins I used to be able to roll up to the ramp and be in the water in about 15 minutes setting up solo... that's the SE, not the sport.

Remember you could always sail the sport without the jib if you wanted to simplify...

I'm on my 3rd H-17... I regretted selling my last one, it was very clean. The one I currently have is in "good" condition, but it needs work and both mains are rags... the whole de-lamination sail thing is a bit of a bugger.

I recently got lucky and found an OK set of used sails...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Good for you considering such an excellent boat like the H17. I'm same age and glad to hear another "mature" guy looking at the 17.

The jib is a good addition, and you can roll it out of the way in a flash. So if you are choosing SE or Sport, my view would be to go for the Sport.

I sailed a 16 solo a few times on Sydney Harbour and had problems getting upright quickly. I got better at it, but it took a few weeks. Asked to choose between the 17 and the 16 I would not hesitate, give me the 17.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:15 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks to all - input is great.
I'll go with the H-17!

Jack