Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi,

placed an order for a TI and would need some advise what would be the most suitable plug in cart for the boat?

The TI would be parked very closed to the launch side (beach). I would need to pull it for ca. 30 meters on concrete, then 10 meters down a concrete ramp leading to the beach and then another 20 meters on soft sand to the water.

Only problem are the 20 meters on soft sand...is there a SUBSTANTIAL difference on transporting the TI on the hobie trax on soft sand (compared to the heavy duty cart) which justifies the struggle to plug in and out the hobie trax 2 wheels in the water? (the boat will be launched 90% of the time solo and I am considering removing the amas & mirage drive to reduce weight of the boat while pulling it).

I would not need to keep the cart on the boat, upon lauching the cart rests on the beach.

Any advise from the experts will be highly appreciated.

Peace
Serbi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Serbi:
If it were me I would add the scupper hole re-enforcement (1" PVC tubing) to the boat right away (see post re-enforced scupper holes) viewtopic.php?f=69&t=35341, some of the other junk in the post is optional, it only take 5 minutes or so and only costs a buck or so, and could help save your hull. I would then likely go with the heavy duty cart and simply remove the AMA's when tracking across the sand, this is what I do. It only takes a couple seconds to remove them and they are easy to carry together up to the shore (I leave everything else in the boat (ie.. AKA's, mirage drives, sail, etc). The sand here in Sarasota Siesta beach is the finest sand in the world (pure white like sugar and very very soft), I can't drag my TI by myself the several hundred yards to get to the water without removing the AMA's, I couldn't do it with the Trax II cart either (I have a set of the older grey Wheeleez air filled tires which are similar) it's too hard either way (trax II or Heavy duty) across the soft sand with the AMA's on at least for me anyway. Unless you want to go extreme like SUN E Sailer, I am jelous of his setup ( viewtopic.php?f=73&t=35157 ), I just remove my AMA's to cross the sand. Hope this helps.
Bob

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

fusioneng wrote:
I couldn't do it with the Trax II cart either (I have a set of the older grey Wheeleez air filled tires which are similar) it's too hard either way (trax II or Heavy duty) across the soft sand with the AMA's on at least for me anyway. Bob

Bob,
There is a big difference between the Trax1 and Trax2 wheels. The Trax2 are a huge improvement and are probably the only wheels in the Hobie range that can cope with all the conditions Serbi has mentioned.

Serbi,
Bob's scupper mod is a good idea for the TI. If you are wheeling the TI hull only then the Trax2 should cope well with your portage. There is a big difference between the balloon wheels and the HD wheels on sand. The HD wheels dig in and you risk scupper damage. If you get the Trax2 cart you can swap between wheels depending on the surface.
There are many posts regarding cart improvements and a search will yield lots of alternatives. A must do is Roadrunner's tennis ball scupper supports. The TI does need extra hull support if wheeling fully loaded. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for your input Bob and Stringy...

So do I understand the message correctly that both - the HD and the Trax2 cart can do the job just pulling the hull of the TI on a rather narrow beach with soft sand.

However - if I opt to pull the TI loaded with Amas and mirage drives I definetely would need the Trax2 cart.

Did i get this rigtht?

Thanks for your input guys.

Peace
Serbi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Serbi,
I'd say you had that correct! :)
I found it very difficult trying to drag an AI with the HD pneumatic wheels through sand which is why I originally got the Trax cart. I haven't tried it with the TI but Bob's response shows that it's not easy. The new style Trax2 balloon wheels are much more versatile than the original Trax1 tyres which couldn't even cope with an AI. They were really only useful for the standard kayaks.
Until Hobie release their TI specific cart the Trax2 cart is my choice because you can add the HD wheels to it easily if travelling a distance on hardpack. You can't add the balloon wheels to the HD cart.
You may have seen my post where I added an extra set of wheels to the Trax 2? viewtopic.php?f=69&t=34910
With this cart even my wife can drag our loaded TI through the sand! :wink: It also rolls better on hardpack. It is important if carting a fully assembled and loaded TI to ensure the load is spread across the TI hull. I've used webbing, others have had success with shaped foam or even the Hobie cradles.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Serbi:
Ditto to what Sringy says, it will make the most sense for you to buy the trax 2 cart, then optionally add the HD wheels later on if you find yourself pulling long distances on harder ground. In practice at least in my circumstances I find myself only pulling on soft (dry) sand 10% of the time, and when we do I just carry the AMA's separately down to the water. I however really like the convienence of using a small scupper cart (like the HD or Trax II) that once you pull out onto the water, flip it out from under the boat, and put it into the back scupper holes in the back upside down vs some of the huge carts some of the guys are coming up with. Just don't do like I did one day and forget to take it out, I grumbled along for an hour trying to figure out why the boat wouldn't go fast (because the wheels were still under the boat), pretty embarrassing. Good luck
Bob

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Bob & Stringy - many thanks for your help!

Placing the order for the Trax 2 right now :-)

Happy Sailing
Serbi