Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:06 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi everyone,

I have spent the past 4 months restoring a 14 Turbo and it's just about perfect. To represent the University of Florida and Georgia Tech sailing teams, a friend and I are entering this boat into the Mug Race. The race takes place in a couple of weeks and it's 38.4 miles long making it the world's longest river race. I have a couple concerns that I'd like to hear more about.

1) The boat was made in 1987 and has gone largely unused. I've replaced obvious things here and there, but what little things on the boat might need replacing on a boat this age? The last thing I want is the mast crashing down in the middle of this.
2) Being such a long race, it's nice to have company. I realize that having a crew total of about 300 pounds will make us less competitive, but we'll still be able to move right? I figure we must sail at an average of 3 miles/hour to finish in time. The wind is typically pretty light. What do you guys think? We're not looking to place high in our class, mainly just to finish the race.

Thanks for the info,
Laura

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Umm you might want to check/change, the stays. i was out at a lake and it turns out my forstay became stranded (3 out of 6 of the wires broke) my bot is i think a '78 or '79 i dont know the race but if you are allowed to stop and fix things then i would keep a forstay and 1 or 2 side-stays handy. Tramp cord/ wire make sure its tight maybe put some bungee with it to make it tight. an extra set of rudder pins and plugs woldnt hurt. if you have a trap then maybe an extra handle incase that one breaks. keep some extra ring-dings and pins. o-rings for the plugs you never can be to prepared but haveing basic things like this will keep you going. The hobie 14 can move with 300 pounds but i dont think as fast if you were soloing it i am 130 and solo i also have a but bucket (you dont need one with 300lb). i dont sail the H-14 turbo i just have a regular H-14.

Mark H-14