Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Does anyone have experience taking their PA on a river with rapids?

I have an opportunity to fish the Devils River in East Texas. It's a beautiful river with gin clear water, large bass, blue gill, gar and cat fish. It is primarily long, deep pools separated by rapids. The PA is perfect for the pools, but not so sure about the rapids.

The rapids worry me given three things:

1. The PA's size and consequently my ability to manage it
2. The hole in the hull could potentially catch on a rock
3. The rudder - can it be easily, safely removed prior to approaching the rapid (the rapids are easy to predict, so that wouldn't be an issue).

Thanks for any guidance,
Myers

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I wouldn't recommend taking the PA through fast moving, shallower water with rock obstacles where quick manuevering is a must-have. The PA is a great fishing platform, but it's bulk & weight make it harder to control than a smaller kayak designed specifically for rapids. Also without having seen the rapids or knowing what category rapids you want to explore, it is harder to give good advice. Your idea of rapids might not be the same as mine...Now...With that said...The rudder retracts, but if you are going over rocks and/ or in extremely shallow water, you're likely to damage the hull and/ or rudder...If you feel compelled though, to take a chance with white water because of the possible fishing rewards in the pools between the rapids, use caution and good common sense... Ask yourself how the river got it's name "Devil's River" That name would throw up a red flag with me...So use caution and try to find someone local to the river that has experience with that specific river who can tell you where to avoid, and details for that specific river to help in your decision making process...Be safe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Anything up to class 2 rapids shouldn't be a problem, but you should pull the Mirage Drive, retract the rudder and have a sufficient paddle at hand to guide you through. You're apt to stick on a few rocks and might appreciate a push pole if you need to get unstuck.

Wouldn't hurt to take a lesson in how to read the water - it's easier to move through water than across rocks. The tendency for most beginners in that type water is to go for the shallow areas which usually results in them getting hung and then flipping a boat because they lean the wrong way.

And remember, there is never any shame in pulling to the bank or an area where you can get out and line the boat through any bad water, or even going to shore and portaging if need be.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:18 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Unless you already own the PA, I would probably invest in the i12 or something similar. And if it's only 1 time, just rent or borrow an inflatable, or even a float boat.