Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: luff track problems
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Has anyone out there had issues replacing a broken luff track? Mine cracked and split when the sail jammed while hoisting it (I now know I wasn’t raising the sail properly). So I went to replace it. No problem I thought – I had an extra comp tip long story) and I find the directions on Hobie’s site
http://2010.archive.hobiecat.com/support/pdfs/38584001.pdf
and followed them to a tee. Carefully pry off the good luff track with screw drivers then tap it back on the other comptip. Only instead of popping back on it splits open. The hobie fact sheet said “The track should snap into place without great effort”. Well mine split without great effort. I thought maybe it was too cold (if was ~ 60F when I was doing it). So I cut off the split section and tried again but this time warm it up with hot water. It was a bit better but this time it cracked but did not completely split. To fill the gap I cut off a section off the damaged piece and put it in but this time I flood it with boiling water to really soften it up before installing. This piece actually goes on how the hobie fact sheet explains (however it was only 18” long). I latter find out second hand at our club that the local dealer broke three luff tacks trying to install one on a mast. At least I am not the only one having problems. So some questions:

Is there any better way to install the mast luff track? I now realize that it may be better if it is hot. What about drilling the rivets out of the comptip end and sliding it on from the top? Anyone had better success with this? Matt are you out there? Any ideas?

Post subject: Re: luff track problems
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I helped replace the luff track on a boat at a Florida resort once. We threw the new track in the hot tub and let it soak for quite a while (15 - 20 minutes) until it was really soft. It snapped on with no problem at all. We used a license plate to push it from the inside, so there was a wide area of pressure.

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:21 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I talked to the dealer who had cracked three luff tracks trying to install them and he said the problem is that Hobie has changed the plastic for the luff track (it is now harder and more brittle). He tried heating them but to no avail and ended up drilling out the rivets for the mast head and removing it and sliding the luff track on from the top. Has anyone else had problems out there? Any comments from the Hobie folks? I just hope that others don't have this same problem.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:52 am 
Site Admin

Only the Getaway track changed... a few years ago. It's thicker and now is installed from the top at our factory.

I like the softening technique mentioned above. Was that with the current track? I'd guess so if it wouldn't snap on as the others do.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

When I get a new one in I will not try to "snap it" into place. I will instead drill out the rivets and remove the top part of the mast. I just don't want to risk breaking a ~$100 part. I think hobie needs to revise the instructions for replacing luff tracks given this issue. Oh I went sailing with the "two part" luff track as previously described. It was blowing really hard (wind whistling in rigging of boats on shore) and everything held - even when we almost pitch poled!