Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

All the announced and guessed-at changes to the Adventure keep making me crazier about a purchase decision. I want the new enhanced Turbo drive, the new enlarged rudder, the new salis, the outriggers, and a look at the possible new hull (Revolution). This is coming, that might be coming, give me a break.

I love the responsiveness of Hobie but timing a purchase is getting like trying to catch the stock market at a peak or valley. Why should I buy now? When should I buy?

I know it will never end but the Adventure seems early in its design phase and I wonder when / if it will stabilize.

Rant over. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

dw,
I believe almost all those things you mentioned will not come as standard issue items anyway, but will be extra cost options. So it doesn 't really matter when you buy--you will be able to purchase those items later as they become available regardless. At least that is my understanding at this point.

The so-called "Revolution" may, or may not, be something that Hobie is considering producing. It got started as a result of various Hobie customers putting their collective heads together over on KFS (I believe), and suggesting what kind of yak they would like to see in the future. Hobie may be in the process of designing such a yak, or they may not be--I don't think anyone really knows as yet--perhaps even incuding Hobie! :mrgreen: If Hobie is even considering such a yak, it might be 1-2 years before it appears anyway, so I wouldn't hold my breath. Just my $.02.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

DW :lol:

Get the Adventure now and start using it and enjoy. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

:idea: Most upgrades appear to be available mid summer if outsourced parts come in. The larger rudder was on my yak before I picked it up. The larger sail has not been estimated as to if/when arrival. Have you seen the new spray skirts yet? Have you seen the new sun bonnet?

Research, developing, and testing all take time and besides these are accessories so why wait?

:shock: Apalach is a testament to want is the mother of invention. If you have to have it now experiment and just do it.

I, on the other hand, am contented on waiting for Hobie to do all the work of figuring out what works. I find it a lot safer, easier and cheaper for them to do the footwork. 8)

PS Don’t forget the new paddle Hobie is coming out with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

DW,
I have the sail kit, the dagger board, the larger rudder, and an extra Mirage Drive. I'm waiting on the larger fins, the larger sail, and the amas. Aren't toys fun? I pedaled my Adventure to 8 MPH into the wind the other day in the Carquinez Straits. Yeah, I did have a little help from an outgoing tide, but it was still a lot of fun. Buy the Adventure now and start having fun! :D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the great posts. I am going to take a clinic/lesson/water test/fishing intro of the Adventure and the Outback in Newport on June 9 with a buddy of mine through CFK. While my conservative side says wait - and let Hobie work the bugs out - I will be tempted to get into the action ASAP. It is a bit crazy making.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yep, I have to agree with OR and WR. I believe the larger rudder is now standard on the BigA, but the other stuff is/will be available over the next few months to a year perhaps. But, it is no different than buying a car or other similar product. The manufacturers always try to come up with some catchy new feature to draw new buyers in. In the case of autos, there is very little new under the sun that would make me want to wait for next year's models. However, Hobie is a bit different than most other yak manufacturers. They actually take customer's and dealer's comments and suggestions to heart to improve their products. So you can wait for next year, and then next year, and then...? In the mean time, you are missing the boat (literally and figuratively), so as someone once said, JUST DO IT! Again--just my $.02 worth. :D

Post subject: Why wait?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:32 am 
Site Admin

Don't wait! The summer is here and any new stuff will not be announced till August and then availability is much later than that. Most new offerings get out to dealers late in the fall to possibly next winter.

Big rudders are accessories and not standard on any boat.

First of the new fins arrived yesterday. Short on the shipping qty so not all back order can be filled. We are expecting more in late May to June.

Bugs in the Adventure? I don't think there are any bugs in the Adventure.

Lastly... the market for these boats is pretty hot. I know the San Diego dealer is happy to take trade-ins of Hobie product.

Buy now... have a great summer and trade up if you feel the need next year!

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

:oops: Didn’t mean to imply that the larger rudder came standard with the Adventure. When I picked up my Adventure it came with the larger rudder, daggerboard, paddle leash, sail kit, and a years storage as options I had added. They didn’t have the gray Hobie hat in stock or I would have included it also. :roll:

Post subject: Will be buying soon
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I do not think I am going to wait much longer. too much fun just ahead to miss. Thanks for all your posts.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Trigger pulled, boat ordered, deposit on the plastic. Adventure Fisherman model in mango (anchor, paddle, rod holder, cooler, cart, ??), pfd, sail kit, daggerboard, enhanced drive, enhanced rudder, and soft cartop carry sytem.

Yakima racks and older Ford Taurus' do not mix. No nav light system available from dealer.

Dealer said talked to Hobie: dealer only getting 1 enhanced drive for now [it's promised to me], daggerboards on back order [I showed the dealer they had 2 on the wall], enhanced rudders on back order [but one is due in tomorrow and promised to me with the boat], and NO NEW SAIL KIT OR OTHER UPGRADES UNTIL 2008.

Thanks to everyone who has posted or replied about the Adventure in helping me get to the decision point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

That a boy, two thumbs up.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 8:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

It was a tough work week in Stockton, but I got to Sacramento early enough to pick up my first kayak: a mango colored Adventure with the fisherman package from Adventure Sports. Carl and the boys took good care of me; thanks guys I made it home safe and sound.

I learned from Carl that Hobie saw one or more of my emails and flew Tim to Sacramento to Adventure Sports (and I assume other dealers) to make sure they had the latest information. Impressive response!

Carl also said someone else said they saw my email and came to Adventure Sports and bought a Hobie Adventure.

As I arrived packages from Hobie were being opened and there were the new enhanced drive and rudder. I took a brief food break and when I returned the new stuff was assembled on the boat and the original rudder and drive fins were packaged as my spares. The boat was loaded on a soft rack on my Taurus and after a brief shakedown trip and some rope re-adjustment I hit the freeway home.

The car with kayak on top fit easily into the garage. I'm beat and just loosened the tie-downs. It just turned dark outside and I am looking at some of the new stuff I brought into the house. If I get my act together I may be able to hit the water tomorrow, but Sunday is more likely.

The boat looks great. Thanks Adventure Sports; thanks Hobie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 11:16 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Wow! Looks like you got the royal treatment! Excellent choice. Let us know how the maiden voyage turns out, since the forum gets to take at least partial credit toward your purchase.:wink:

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 2:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I lasted until about 8:30 pm and then had to crash. It's 1:50 am and I'm back up. Had to go out to the garage to be sure I really brought a mango colored Hobie Adventure home. Yep, still there.

So, it's like Christmas at my house. Apparently Santa Yak brought me some cool loot. Like the extasport retroglide pfd: seems to be an adjustable great fit and lots of pockets and gear attachment points. The Hobie soft cooler is a nice piece of gear. The trunk of the Taurus is enjoying the anchor, Mirage drive, paddle, seat, sports bottle(s), cart - oops, was going to order the upgraded cart.

I asked Carl and the boys at Adventure Sports to get me a yellow sail kit instead of the grey ones they had in stock. Thinking about the Delta fog and grey days on the ocean, I decided a little more visibility would be a good idea. And the blue and red clashed with mango after all!

Isn't there a little tackle box with the fisherman package? Could it be in the hull? Maybe I'm wrong. Not like I don't have fishing stuff out my ears around here anyway.

Found the warranty. Hmm, when I go back to get the sail kit I guess I have to ask the dealer to sign the warranty registration card. No biggee.

Wonder if, for the appropriate financial adjustment, I can swap out the unused standard cart for the upgraded cart. Won't hurt to ask.

Look at all the Hobie stuff in the catalogs! Whoa, heat gun and plastic welding material? Thunderwear cold weather gloves look interesting; wonder if they can be used for diving gloves? Need a paddle leash; hatch bags? Thigh control straps (does this kayak make me look fat?).

Mirage drive a bit scary. Hobie will recycle your kayak? Okay, here's how to fine tune the rudder and put in the Mirage drive. I will have to check the posts again for the "speed" adjustment with the ?thumb knurle?

Missing a scupper plug string. Where's the darn cat?

More later.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 3:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Okay, back into the trunk of the Taurus. Brought the Mirage drive (a fine wicked piece of gear) and the original fins/masts/etc. in to work out this speed adjustment thing.

Carl from Adventure Sports put the upgrade instructions, allen werench and cotter pins together with the original stuff. At the bottom of page 2 of 2 of the instruction it says:

"Tuning Your ST Turbo Fins

The ST Turbo fins are equipped with an adjustment knob located in the upper rear corner of each fin to change the tension of the fins."

Okay, there they are, brass thumb screw thingys (a technical term).

"To tighten up the fin, turn the thumb screw clockwise and to loosen the fin turn it in the opposite direction. By having more tension in the fin, it will become stiffer and faster with more resistance on the pedals. With having less tension on the fin, it will be more flexible with more torque and less resistance on the pedals."

Hmm. Clockwise seems to mean the brass thumb knurl is pulling the threaded part [clew tension screw?] "down" away from the body of the drive. [Righty tighty , lefty loosey?]

Did I see a parts diagram anywhere? Page 11 of the 2004/2005 kayak accessories and parts catalog has the 80010 Mirage Drive parts. No clew tension screw. Maybe something new?

Okay, first thing is the thumb screws are not quite the same distance from the body of the drive, that is, there is a different amount of the threaded part [clew tension screw?] showing on each fin. Wait a minute, looking at the opposite side they look pretty much the same.

I'm going to the loosest setting on both fins because that's pretty much where they seem to be set now and will be the smallest adjustment. Knowing my mechanical aptitude I probably got this all backward, but moving the pedals manually seemed to confirm the drive is "looser."

I wouldn't want to be doing this with wet, cold, water-softened fingers. Maybe those Hobie Thunderwear gloves on page 7 would help. Is there a thumbscrew turning tool other than the Mark One Thumb And Forefinger?

Okay, going to turn the thumbscrews to loosen the tension and reduce the pedaling effort [hey, I'm a newbie, remember?]

More later: it's late I'm getting confused.