Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:30 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just bought a 2002 Getaway and it came with the EZ Step mast stepper, but does not have the trapeze wires to use with the EZ Step. I had previously owned a Hobie 16 about 15 years ago and usually did not have any trouble raising the mast without a stepper, but I am a bit older now.

I know the Mast Stepper III has a better bracket for the mast. Does it also need trapeze wires to stabilize the mast while raising? Anything else about it better than the EZ Step?

Can the shrouds be used instead of the trapeze wires?

Are there any instructions for the Mast Stepper III on-line.

I am just trying to decide if it is worth getting the Mast Stepper III instead of getting trapeze wires and using the EZ Step.

David

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

With the III you can do the whole job alone from the front of the trailer. More or less you need a second person to hold the mast in the rotated position while the winch does the lifting with the EZ. With a second person you don't need the stabilization lines at all. The second person can maintain the mast in the rotated position and keep it from falling over. The shroud lines keep the mast up and in position after raising it so they really can't substitute for trapeze lines. If you get an electric winch with a remote switch that you can operate while you are on the tramp holding the mast in the rotated position you can do it by your self with the EZ. Tieing the mast in the rotated position without the III system is risky. If you jury rigged system fails you break the bottom of the mast and you get to replace it.

I rely on the kindness of strangers to turn the winch crank while I hold the mast in position if I don't have a crew.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

With the MastStepper III, I can lift the mast alone with no effort. No need for trapeze lines.
The only problem is that it takes some time to set the whole kit up, but that may just be because I only did it a few times and it is not obvious as to what goes where.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:30 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the replies.

Just to make sure that I understand. The EZ Step can be used with 2 people to help lift the mast, but requires a person to keep the mast rotated and steady. I would not need the trapeze wires when used this way.

The Mast Stepper III is a complete solution.

David

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

CORRECT

Now I suggest you consider trapeze lines and a small and larger seat harness (depending on crew size) anyway. In light air put a kid out on the wire. They will love it. For adult beginners 2 adults can counterbalance another out on the trapeze on the other side. An experienced adult/teenager of moderate weight on the trapeze gives a tremendous amount of control on brisk days and will allow you to sail comfortably in the 20 mto 30 mph range. I think ilt makes the boat safer and a lot more fun for the helmsman and crew. If you have wings you will need to shorten the lines. 1 foot shorter is about right and if you cut of the originial swagging and reswagg it comes out about right. There is a least one old string on this issue.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Bob,

We went out last weekend. Using the EZ Step worked fine with me keeping the mast straight and my wife winching it up. Much easier than when we used to raise the Hobie 16 mast ourselves.

I do plan to get a trapeze for the kids. We have 2 girls, 12 and 14, they had lots of fun once we got a little wind, and I am sure they will have fun playing on the trapeze. On the 16 we had a dual trapeze setup and we did use them. We have the wings and those will be fine for me and my wife.

David

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:05 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This has been a really useful thread for me. Thanks to the contributors! I've just bought a second hand getaway and I do want to get the mast stepper III. I'm not as young as I used to be when I had my H14!
Unfortunately my trailer doesn't have a winch. I've been looking at them in the auto shops but it occurred to me that maybe the winch needs to be up high for the stepper arrangement to work? Does it matter if the winch is mounted down on the drawbar of the trailer?

Grateful for any advice! Thanks in advance! Greg

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We bought a Mast Stepper III and have used it a couple of times now, since it is easier than using the EZ Step.

There is not a requirement for the winch to be up high. Actually, if it is higher than the bow spreader, you need to use a block to pull the stepper pole down to the bow spreader.

A boat store might have a better selection, since the winch I have is just a standard hand crank the attaches to the mast stand. It also helps pull the boat onto the trailer and helps secure it for traveling.

David

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:22 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

dsteinman wrote:
We bought a Mast Stepper III and have used it a couple of times now, since it is easier than using the EZ Step.

There is not a requirement for the winch to be up high. Actually, if it is higher than the bow spreader, you need to use a block to pull the stepper pole down to the bow spreader.

A boat store might have a better selection, since the winch I have is just a standard hand crank the attaches to the mast stand. It also helps pull the boat onto the trailer and helps secure it for traveling.

David

Thanks David. I was wondering if the winch could mount on the mast stand. Agree the winch will also be better for hauling it up on the trailer. It takes a bit of work to slide it up by hand at the moment. Not too bad unless the ramp is slippery, then it's a bit tricky! Thanks again! Cheers, Greg

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:09 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm having a hard time finding where to buy a mass stepper iii
Any clues who makes it and contact info?
Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:01 am 
Site Admin

It's made by Hobie, so you can get it from any authorized Hobie catamaran dealer.

http://www.hobiecat.com/support/dealers/search/

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)