Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rudder Roll Pin
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Has anyone else had the problem of the Roll Pin coming out of the stainless steel rudder shaft? My rudder completely fell off and I was going in circles. It was only the 5th time in the water, so lack of maintenance wasn't the reason. Anyway, after an embarrising return to a very populated beach, the next day I got a new pin and installed it. It is such a tight fit, i'm amazed it could work loose.

Post subject: Re: Rudder Roll Pin
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:39 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I lost my rudder pin after my second time on the water, but I think it was my dealer who misinstalled my steerind upgrade backwards and the pin fell out. I watched the video about the proper upgrade insallation and have not had a problem since. This might be helpful.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mine fell out of my brand new 2010 PA on about my 4th trip out. I used the paddle as a sideboard rudder and worked my way back to shore. I replaced the same roll pin in the rudder shaft and it seemed pretty tight, making me think that it was installed improperly. As insurance, I picked up a few stainless steel cotter pins which I keep in the tackle box in case this ever happens again when I am out on the water.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Guy's,
2 replies tells me it isn't a serious problem. Just unlucky, or a 'infant mortality' problem. I'll rest easy now.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:19 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

That's odd. I had to work pretty diligently to get mine out when I made the steering upgrade. Normally roll pins are under pressure that it would make them sit pretty tight. Seeing the working movement of the system it doesn't seem like they would 'work out'. The cotter keys for emergency kit is a great idea.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Mine roll pin has come out 3 times now and I've only been out in my 2011 PA a total of 5 times. Something I noticed, each time the pin has come out, it's been from the get-go (ie the minute I get into the water and start moving). After some deductive reasoning, I think what's happening is while I am trailering my PA to the lake/river it bounces around slightly and the rudder probably moves up and down, creating a situation which eventually allows the roll pin to work it's way out.

Caveat: Whatever you do, don't get yourself into this situation
First, make sure you check the rudder control before getting into the water (common sense would tell you this, but I failed to have any during this trip). So anyhow, last night was the 3rd time the roll pin came out, and man was it scary. I was on the Cumberland River in Nashville, which is just a beast (current wise). I was being pushed extremely fast down river, and to make matters worse, was spinning in circles uncontrollably. As my luck would have it, around the corner comes a big barge...Shortly thereafter, all hell broke loose. I managed to make it out of the barge's path but still got pounded by huge rolling waves and was stuck in a current that wouldn't allow me to make up any distance between me and the shoreline. There were a few waves that almost tossed me and if it weren't for the stability of the PA, I might have been toast (Thank God & Hobie). I could go on and on with details, but will spare you the laughter...Let's just say I paddled like hell (like I was hearing banjos) and finally reached a point in the river where the shoreline was closer and the current was not so bad. I stretched out as far as I could, grabbed a tree limb and pulled myself in to where I could tie off and work on the rudder. After it was all said and done, I fixed the rudder with my leatherman (thankfully I had a phillips!!) and probably drifted a few miles down river, which made for a helluva trip back.

Anyhow, my story is more of a "what can go wrong" when the pin pops out at a very bad time in a potentially very bad place.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey everyone. :) I was wondering what needs to be done to avoid that in the future? Hopefully Matt will see this and comment. But I know that someome will come up with an answer. :idea: And we will say, why didnt I think of that! That was a bad incindent to be in. I like to take my kid fishing ( another reason I'm buying the PA) and if that was to happen ,I would be a little upset. :x Has anyone ever think about up grading to a thicker pin? Then bend both tabs? Maybe even useing some kind of locktite?Anyways I will keep my eyes on this thread

2012 Pro Angler
Take a kid fishing!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Mine came out about a few month ago. I was out on the lake fishing away and boom it would only go right. I had to use my paddle as a make shift rudder and make my way back to the ramp. When i got home I took a look and sure enough the roll pin was missing. I ordered a couple online to have a backup. The next day i was moving stuff around and found the old pin in my driveway under the trailer? It must have fallen through the hole when I was examining it. I popped it back in and put a bead of silicon on it to help keep it stuck in place. I haven't had an issue since and I have a couple of extras for back up. I now keep a nubby phillips and the extra pins in my back dry storage just in case!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:49 pm 
Site Admin

I sent this to dealers last week:

June 24th, 2011

Pro Angler Rudder Inspection

We have identified two possible concerns on a Pro Angler rudder system that you should be aware of.

On the Pro Angler rudder system, under the black cover plate, the steering drum is secured to the rudder shaft by a roll pin. This roll pin is the focus of the following possible concerns. We suggest inspection of each pin to be sure the pin is secure.

1) The original roll pin is made from hardened stainless and can show some rust discoloration. We have changed materials to limit this now. The rust is cosmetic and not a structural concern, but if the owner would prefer a replacement, we can do so at no charge via warranty. Make a warranty claim for the pin # 81245001 ROLL PIN 1/8 × 1-1/4 (420 SS).

2) Some rudder shafts were delivered with an over-sized hole for the pin. Our assembly area may have allowed some of these to be used in production. A loose pin may have been distorted in a way to tension it against the drum. This has apparently led to some pins working loose and falling out which disables the rudder steering system. The correction is an over-sized cotter key installed as shown below.

If you discover a loose roll pin, please place a warranty claim for the replacement cotter pin # 8060141 COTTER PIN 1/8” X 2” SS.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

See ya all, I knew matt would be looking at these threads. :mrgreen:

2012 Pro Angler
Take a kid fishing!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:12 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
I sent this to dealers last week:

June 24th, 2011

Pro Angler Rudder Inspection

We have identified two possible concerns on a Pro Angler rudder system that you should be aware of.

On the Pro Angler rudder system, under the black cover plate, the steering drum is secured to the rudder shaft by a roll pin. This roll pin is the focus of the following possible concerns. We suggest inspection of each pin to be sure the pin is secure.

1) The original roll pin is made from hardened stainless and can show some rust discoloration. We have changed materials to limit this now. The rust is cosmetic and not a structural concern, but if the owner would prefer a replacement, we can do so at no charge via warranty. Make a warranty claim for the pin # 81245001 ROLL PIN 1/8 × 1-1/4 (420 SS).

2) Some rudder shafts were delivered with an over-sized hole for the pin. Our assembly area may have allowed some of these to be used in production. A loose pin may have been distorted in a way to tension it against the drum. This has apparently led to some pins working loose and falling out which disables the rudder steering system. The correction is an over-sized cotter key installed as shown below.

If you discover a loose roll pin, please place a warranty claim for the replacement cotter pin # 8060141 COTTER PIN 1/8” X 2” SS.

Matt,

Thank you for recognizing this issue. Seems to be exactly what is happening with my new Pro Angler. That said, I will place a warranty claim and order the replacement cotter pin. I think I also need to order a new black cover that encloses the rudder/steering drum assembly. I've had the roll-pin come out several times now and during my attempts to fix, one of the 4 holes in black cover has widened quite a bit (maybe from over-tightening or from taking the cover on and off so many times, IDK?). Anyhow, one hole is now wider then the screw head, which really doesn't do much good for holding down that corner. I'm afraid water will get into the steering drum area if I don't replace. I see the part number for black cover is 84500601. What are your thoughts, should I replace the black cover as well?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:07 pm 
Site Admin

The cover is mostly cosmetic. Does not seal the area.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
The cover is mostly cosmetic. Does not seal the area.

thank you

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

the rust is not entirely cosmetic. I use my PA nearly exclusively in saltwater, and my roll pin DISINTEGRATED today. I have a 2011, and my boat was purchased only 6 weeks ago. I am well over 20 saltwater trips and 15 freshwater trips (living near the beach and a reservoir has its advantages lol)....

i felt it let loose and was able to pedal in a vicious tide to an exposed sandbar and jury rig it with a 2/0 eagle claw and a pair of needle nose.

my question is, the hatch is mostly cosmetic, but its not something I take apart regularly to inspect. should I keep a coating of marine grease in there? My dealer ordered me a new 420 roll pin today, but I'm hoping the new pin is of superior metal that doesnt completely collapse.

I was pedalling into a peak ebb tide today which is a pretty wicked current here, even in the back bay, luckily i knew right away and i was able to get to safety.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

After about 20 times in the salt water, three months after purchaing the PA, the roll pin broke apart as I was about to enter a pass against the current. Fortunatley a nearby boat gave me a lift back in.
I took it to the local dealer and since he couldn't get the broken part of the pin out of the hole, he replaced the rudder. The pin is now loose in the new rudder. It hasn't fallen out yet, but it could easily happen as loose as it is. I'll get one of the stainless cotter pins, looks like that will work better.