Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am an avid fisherman and move to Carpinteria, CA in 11/2010. I bought a 2010 pro angler in March 2011 and have had it out 5 times and have had nothing but problerms.

Everytime, the rudder seems to come undone and I turn in circles. Great if this were Nascar. There seems to be loose line under the seat where the turning handle is located.

I was referred by Hobie to the folks at Channel Islands Kayaks and they tried their best, but they just are not familiar with the pro angeler and we could not get it working right.

I am now pretty sure that it is not rigged up properly from the rudder control attached to the seat going backward. The line seems to just come out along side the round bottom part and there is about 2" of play I cannot tighten up.

I do not see any videos in the manual or otherwise that shows me the correct connection.
Anybody got any suggestions?

Last edited by scottjseiden on Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Check the thread of roll pin. You will find the answer you are looking for

2012 Pro Angler
Take a kid fishing!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:59 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

viewtopic.php?f=78&t=32427

Did you try this thread :D Kinda seems like what you're talking about. Also, if it's not the pin, check to see if you have the larger drum and perhaps the PO (previous owner) connected it wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

CurtnAz wrote:
http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=32427

Did you try this thread :D Kinda seems like what you're talking about. Also, if it's not the pin, check to see if you have the larger drum and perhaps the PO (previous owner) connected it wrong.

It is definitely not the pin and I bought it from a retailer and I do not know if he did it right. Thanks for the help.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sounds like the spring is sprung!! The spring will keep the rudder in the down position when you release the cord. New springs are available in the Spring '11 Catalog I think. Did the dealer not mention the spring. If they did then it is not the spring.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:45 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

No the rudder stays down, that is not the problem, but thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

if the steering lines slip, either where they attach to the tiller control or on the rudder top, the rudder will turn to one side and stay put - you'll turn in circles.

You can take the top of the hatch on the rear of the PA deck and access the top of the rudder. Make sure the screws are tight and the lines have not slipped there.

If that's all in good shape, you'll have to take a look at the tiller control.

Your problem is bound to be at one end of the system and shouldn't be that hard to fix once you determine what is slipping or coming loose.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:39 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

It seems to me that there is a problem where the line attaches to the handle. I just do not know if it is attached correctly.