Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I live in a fantastic place for sailing and don't own a sailboat. Here in the San Juan Islands, I think a catamaran would suit me well.

Long story short, My wife and I are looking for a small cat we can take the kids on and use in both the sound as well as lakes.

This is what I've found.

1982 18' HOBIECAT sailboat, rigged for cruising, long range fuel tank, motor mount, other extras include reefing points in main sail, sail pockets, woven foredeck and outrigger seats, trailer and 4 hp Evinrude $3500 USD

I have first dibs but have to act fast (tomorrow) Please give me your opinions.

The hulls are solid and have been professionally repainted / coated. There is one small hole in the tramp.

Thanks in advance,

SummerSled

Post subject: WOW
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:12 pm 
Site Admin

WOW, what a cool sounding Hobie 18! Where the heck did someone take it? May be heavy from the Tank etc.

Funny, the very first Hobie 16 I ever looked at was in Davis, California (1977?) and had built in water tanks in the hull. I rejected it for the excess weight and oddity of it.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

It does sound cool. 8)

I'm not really a racer kinda guy but may go that way later. :D I'm into beach hoppin, cruisin and camping with the family. We have lot's of nice big lakes around also.

From what I understand, he has used it all through the Queen Charlotte's and San Juan's as well as takin it down to Baja, CA. He say's it's a really solid boat. I'm guessing it is heavy but not sure how much of a bad thing that is.

Can someone give a rookie such as myself some pointers as to what to look for? I'm planning a 2 hr drive tommorrow to look at it. I'll take a friend that knows some about sailing, but would really like some feedback from other cat owners.

Thanks,

Aaron

Post subject: Parts
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:56 pm 
Site Admin

Having ALL of the parts is critical. A deal becomes expensive if you have to buy something like a rudder, daggerboard or boom.

Delamination? Wear on the bottoms?

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Read buying tips here: http://www.sailingproshop.com/catamaran.asp

Scroll down to the model boat you are considering.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 1:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well-

I bought the boat. It seems intact. I am a bit concerned about the decks of the hulls. They are soft on the rear 3rd. The gelcoat shows flex cracks but not broken anywhere. I hope I didn't make a dire mistake. Anyone no if this is easily repairable?

The hulls themselves seem good. No delamination or cracks. I took it out yesterday for about 4 hours and the hulls did not leak. The tramp has one small sit in it. The rest seems solid. The front tramp and hull stiffener is really cool. Also, the long range fuel tank is going to be really nice in the islands. It packs 5 1/2 gallons and should last most of the summer. Good insurance policy with the kids and all.

It has a cheetah bracket and small outboard. I'd like a mast bob or at least a wind vain to assist in my sailing lessons.

I went to the lake and was amazed at the acceleration with such a light wind. You could feel the lift immediatly and off she went. It was really a stable feeling boat. The wing seats make all the difference. I had never had them before on the smaller cats. The kids loved hanging of of them and dragging their feet in the water.

I have a few bug to work out. The diamond wire buckles are seized and a bit loose. Also, the cleat is broken that holds the boom up from the rotation bar. I had to tie it up to sail it. Anyone come up with a clever way of rigging the boom? I'm considering a line from the top of the mast to the end of the boom. Seems easier and more positive.

I also had to rebuild the jib furler but the kit was included in the deal.

So far so good. 8)

Thanks,

Aaron

Post subject: Good Luck
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 4:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Aaron:

Most of us use a Telocat wind vane. There is a adaptor for the 18. I use a small block with a cleat to limit my mast rotation. Line goes from the boom to the mast rotation arm. Off and on as I go from downwind to upwind.

Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 5:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Those soft spots on the rear third of the decks sound like delam. It is an easy fix and discussed at length in these forums. I made this repair to my H18 last summer and it worked great. Before you do more sailing I woudl suggest taking care of it.

As for keeping the aft end of the boom up, when you have the sail up, that will do it. I used the main halyard when I have the main sail down. It makes a nice tent if you bring a tarp with you.

I would look at replacing the cleat for the mast rotator. You can find a new jam cleat at your local marina or marine supply store. It's a fairly easy fix. I replaced all of my internal boom parts in about 2 hours. It was well worth the gain in sail control.

Good luck and welcome to the club.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 12:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I found a deal that may take some of the pain out of this whole delamination repair cost issue. The Git Rot is an excellent choice but would run a minimum of 250 bucks a gallon. Gorilla Glue is alot less expensive, but I'm concered about the foaming and brittleness of it.

West System is a great choice and can be had alot less expensive than Git Rot.

I called both Boat Life and West Systems tech department and picked their brains on cost, and effectiveness of their products. All said and done, I am convinced that both are an excellent choice.

One major difference is the viscosity. The West System is very thin and is not a penatrating epoxy. It can be thickened using their fillers if you like but not necessary. In my situation, thinner is better.

Git Rot is basically the same stuff except it has solvents added to help penatrate into the wood or foam. This works great in tighter areas to get complete coverage, but costs a small fortune.

West system has a 1 gallon kit for $110.59. You can get the 205 (fast) or the 206 (slow) hardener included in the kit. It also comes with the pumps, gloves, mixing sticks and buckets, Glass mat, and manual.

The best part is, West systems people told me that an effective way to make their product into a penetrating resin nearly identical to git rot, is to dilute the blend with 5% acetone. The acetone solvent will work intrough the foam and or wood and then evaporate off leaving the epoxy filler.

5% is 189 mls per gallon or 6.4 fluid ounces per gallon.

I also asked each company if the 2 epoxies were compatible an recieved the same answer from each. Yes. As long as the other epoxy is cured, the new epoxy resin will fully bond to it.

I have already used 80 bucks worth of Git Rot and would need another 280 bucks worth to finish it.

I can use West System and acetone for $110 bucks and have some left over.

I think I'll do that.

Thanks Hobie Nick for the Link to Jamestown. Best prices found by far.

SummerSled