Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: fins as a centerboard?
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 7:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

sailing my outback with the hobie sail and inflatable amas in gusty conditions last saturday (lost island lake in northwest iowa). started out using the mirage drive fins as a centerboard but soon noticed that with the harder gusts that the outback wanted to noticeably round up into the wind. changed my tactics by holding the fins up against the hull and had very little rounding up effect. this would seem to be contrary to popular thought. any ideas? this is an older outback mirage - prior to the twist and stow models and the rudder is probably on the small side.
:)

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 8:50 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

With the fins up, there is nothing for the boat to pivot on, so no weather helm -- more side slippage instead. Fins down are instrumental for upwind sailing capabilities. Large sailing rudder is greatly beneficial in controlling weather helm. Your older Outback still works, just not as well. There are a couple of excellent conversions of the older style rudders -- look up posts by stringy and kepnutz from about 2 to 3 years ago. 8)

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 10:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Weather Helm should be expected in gusts. Sheet out or luff up if you are being overpowered.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

had good luck today with just rudder adjustments whenever i had a small gust. would like to make the rudder a little bigger - more responsive. thinking about making a sheath for the rudder out of light plastic and increasing its size in this manner. anyone done this before? what was the result?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:22 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

wallyworldmudhen wrote:
thinking about making a sheath for the rudder out of light plastic and increasing its size in this manner. anyone done this before? what was the result? :)
Starting here, about 6 posts down, a great job by Kepnutz along with a how-to: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7257

Stringy also did a brilliant job of converting his old style rudder to a Twist N Stow (which accepts the large sailing rudder). Unfortunately the how-to was lost in a forum update, but he may be able to give you some guidance anyway if you contact him. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

thanks roadrunner. exactly what i have in mind although i envision a more conservatively sized "sheath" and one that i can remove if i desire - probably held tight to the rudder by four bolt type fittings strategically place around the perimeter, but with no holes drilled in the rudder.
when done - assuming i become more technically proficient - i will post some pictures and details. this will be down the road a bit.
thanks again.