Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Adventure
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

:lol: Skin diving is easy off the Adventure. Anyone scuba off it?

:o

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I am very interested in the paddle/pedal/sail potentional of the Adventure for fishing and spearfishing. Can you share any practical tips and experiences? How about in the kelp beds? Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:37 am 
Site Admin

How about in the kelp beds?

There have been a bunch of posts about using the drive through kelp. They work well until the kelp is flat on the surface. You may have to pull the drive to get through the really thick stuff.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have begun the process of purchasing an Adventure. Any tips on how to best get in and out of the water when diving, other freedive gear handling best practices? Modifications to assist with diving? In my area there are some pretty clear water reservoirs and rivers, especially later in the summer. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Check this link for water re-entry.
http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com/articl ... rticles=55
The only change is I have a crate in the aft cargo hold with my mask and fins. I have installed cleats fore and aft on both sides with a lines running from the bow to the stern. I can slide my arm between the line and hull while I gear up. Makes it easer when in the water. The lines are also go for tethering equipment.

Don’t forget the dive flag. I place one in my stern nav light base.

PS I practiced in my pool to get it perfected.

Last edited by OffRoad on Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have seen several posts about installing a running-line-on-pulleys loop (clothesline) system as an "anchor trolley" to allow positioning of an anchor (or drift sock) line toward the bow or stern or anywhere in between. Would such a system on both sides of the boat do the job as a dive aid like you describe?

BTW thanks for you many helpful posts and replies on this and other boards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Frankly there are only two points of anchoring, bow and stern. I have a leash attached to both and just attach my anchor line to the appropriate leash. I have yet to find the situation that I would place an anchor trolley system on any of my yaks. Nor have I used an anchor line reel for in California we need too much line to use those devices. In most areas the KISS system works best.

Post subject: Re: Adventure
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

OffRoad:
We are Scuba divers and snorkelers and use our TI as a dive boat all the time mostly in South Florida and the Florida keys (where we live).
We have our TI specially hardened for offshore use. It's actually pretty easy to get on and off the TI by climbing over the AMA's and onto the tramps. The tramps are a must have for diving.
Watch this video and if you have any questions fire away, we have gone out several times with 4 divers, each with 2 tanks (that's 8 tanks plus all the gear like BC's, weight belts, and dive fins (which are huge), along with coolers with enough food and beverages for the day. We Lobster and spear fish in season, and have even loaded the boat down with as many as 10 crab traps stacked on the AMA's.

We no long have our Sea Ray powerboat so we use our TI for pretty much everything we used to do with the Sea Ray, we are out every single weekend all year round with it. Yes down in Key West you can get on dive charters but they typically cost about $100 bucks a person, or you can rent a power boat (we do sometimes), but that's typically between six hundred and a thousand bucks a day, plus you can easily go thru $200-$300 dollars in fuel (that's why the boats have 60 gallon tanks LOL). The main reason we sold our powerboat was because dry storage down here is around $400 per month (ouch).
It cost us nothing to store our TI (we keep in in our garage), maint costs are maybe $50 bucks a year for rudder pins and that's about it. Our TI gets about 100 mpg fuel economy so we can go out all day for about a dollar in fuel.
If your diving off the boat the single most important thing is a very good anchor (we have had our TI take off on us before while diving without good anchors). My anchor system is totally automatic and is never removed from the boat ( I have 150 ft of anchor line). Actually nothing is ever removed from the boat (actually I don't recall ever removing the motors), it's just stored on the trailer as you see it in the video with the AMA's folded in, and the sails laid down on top of the hull in the garage and that's it, only takes maybe 5 extra minutes to launch over most other TI's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BcdE0137Xk
[youtube2]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BcdE0137Xk[/youtube2]

I'm sure you could do all the same with an AI.

Yea we have that rope ladder but nobody bothers to use it, they all just climb up over the AMA's, we usually remove our BC's and just float them, climb in the boat then drag them aboard.
Storing all our gear (tanks, bc's, coolers, etc) in a tow behind inflatable raft is the easiest solution, by doing that we can easily carry 3-4 people on the TI.

Hope this helps you
Bob

Edit:
Holy crap I didn't realize this thread is from 2006, I'm sure all those kelp beds are all dead and gone by now (LOL, like our coral reefs...)