Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Recently purchased an older H20. The spreader adjusters are "frozen in the spreader brace. Any ideas on how to free them. Tried wd-40 and other penetrating oils as well as heat to the outer part/brace. Suggestions/ideas please.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'll ask a stupid question (no offense), is all the tension off the diamond wires?

I'd take them off the mast, put them in a vise and wiggle them around. If that doesn't do it, squirt some penetrating oil in them and come back tomorrow to work on loosening them.

Someone may have used WD40 previously, which attracts dirt, and will freeze them up.

Post subject: tension
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

wires are off and the clevis is out of the adjuster-spreader connection. have tried penetrating oil 3 times and heat once. seems to be salt water corrosion between parts. any ideas on disolving salt or corrosion would be welcome. tks for the reply?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Try soaking the part overnight, or a couple of nights, in Coke. It is a mild acid and may break up the corrosion a bit. White vinager may also work. A couple of wacks with a standard hobie tool (hammer) may help a little too, and if not, you will feel a little better. :)

Why are you adjusting these? How far back are the spreaders currently raked? If they are on the mast and you set a board across them, how far behind the mast is the straight edge? Just curious.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you are about the end of the line as far as penitrating fluid, heat, hammers and such there is only one thing let. Sorry, that is to buy new spreaders. These are aluminum against aluminum. If they have never been played with they will weld together. To try to seperate them will break them if they have gone that far.

If they are close then maybe you can just leave them alone and sail with them that way, as Mike suggested.

I had the same problem with my first 20. Bought it used, could not adjust the spreaders, and broke one trying to loosen it. Bought two new ones. I do not think they were that expensive. Maybe cheaper than the time you are wasting trying to get these to work.

Later,
Dan