Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Ive been trying to figure a way to keep my cats mast up at my place at the lake. I don't have a beach so it's been difficult, tried to moor it in the water last summer but then read on here and found out first hand that ain't the way to go. I raided the scrap pile at work and welded this contraption together. The t's at the front are cemented into the rock, the saw horses at the back are made with small diameter conduit so as to not provided as much surface area for waves to hit. I put my 14 on it to test and works so far, it's been through a couple thunderstorms. It's still not exactly what I want, too hard to put up there by myself. Anyway, this is the first version of it, thought I'd share!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:02 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

What about one of those plastic skids you see jet-skis on all the time? Seems you could make something similar to float just a few inches about the water to pull the boat onto and strap it down to that.

2010 AHPC C2 #218

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The wave action is as bad or worse on the boat. The constant side to side puts lots of stress on the rigging and the mast rotating back and forth is bad too. I haven to have a way to keep the boat out of the water. Oh and CHEAP too!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:47 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

A steel ramp off the end or side of your dock, assuming your dock does not float.

2010 AHPC C2 #218

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

It does haha

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:36 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

A rack like that is perfectly acceptable, although the rear supports are overly complicated - and with 8 legs, kind of defeats the whole "minimal diameter to minimize wave forces" thing.

An "H" made out of 1½" galvanized steel schedule 40 pipe, covered with PVC piping (friction reduction / scratch preventer) on the verticals (guides) and crossbar is simple and relatively cheap.

Of course, it depends on what you're anchoring the legs into. Around here, they have dock augers that screw right into the bottom (mud/sand). For rock, you'd probably want permanent sleeves concreted in.

In any event, you need vertical guides to keep the boat from sliding sideways off the rack.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:03 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I use the H-Type setup almost exactly as Matt described. Works well, although I plan to add front bunks or hull cradles to reduce the stress concentration and potential for damage [I like to work on the boat/rig it while its on the perch :roll: ]. Here is a not-very-good pic:

The PVC does leave a small amount of residue on the chine of the hull, but it rubs off easily.

Only thing I'd add is to be sure to have some substantial tie-downs. We had a storm over Memorial Day weekend with 70+mph winds. If not for the tie-downs, the boat would have been on our neighbor's seawall - vertical guides or not!

cramsailing.com

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:53 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I made a 'lift' recently and am happy to share the design. It was relatively cheap (I already had some of the hardware) and best of all I can load it on and off myself. Really helps when the wife and daughter are busy! The pipe is 2" conduit and the rollers I bought at a marine store (19.99 each). I already had the supports (poles that go into water) from an old pier. The poles where are the tie downs go to are augured into the sand - don't want a blow over. Check it out - let me know if you have any questions.

Hmmm - need to figure out how to attach a picture.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:01 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Here is a pic of my lift:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The saw horses at the rear of the boat aren't anchored to the bottom, they can be moved around. I don't think the water ever gets that low, maybe in the winter but I doubt it

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I like both of those! Might use for version 2. I was in the outer banks a few weeks ago for a race (Duck Cup) and liked the set up he had. I can probably build something similar over the winter when they lower the water a good bit for dock repairs.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Seems you could make something similar to float just a few inches about the water to pull the boat onto and strap it down to that.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:39 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am looking to purchase my first sailboat. I would perfer to buy a Cat 16 than a Sunfish/Laser. The problem I have trying to figure out how I can dock a Hobie 16 at my dock. I have a place at the bay with floating ez dock in an E shape. Between the bottom and the middle I have 3 EZ Port wave runner ports (currently they have a kayak and peddle boat).

One option would be to pull the boat up on the Wave runner ports. If the boat is not sitting flat, will that create a problem with warping?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I realize this is an old post, so I'm reeeeeeeeeally hopeful here.

How are y'all pulling your boats up that high?

I ask because I have an '83 Hobie 16 that I need to get over a 1'6" seawall and am extremely tentative about simply adding some rollers to the edge and winching the thing over.