Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Newbie here
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:53 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello, all sailors!

Well i am from the other side! hahah I have been stransformed into multi hull lover! I was looking to get a corsair, but the budget just isnt working out right now.. Kid in Collage its time for me,, LOL I crew up on mono hulls keel lead wait boats.. I recently have sailed a Hobie cat and just loved all of it! :) this was 2 years ago and i still have the smile on my face we were in Jamaica got to get on a getaway!

I live in Pittsburgh area sail in Lake Erie with friends, i am confused on what size to get og hobie cat. I just came accross a 21 ft hobie that looks like a nice ride and alot of room on it. what is the speed difference from a 16 to a 18 to a 21 ft. i mean on a mono if we got 6 knots we were happy hahahah!

I was on a F28 and we were doing 22 knots it was crazy speed!
Loved it :)

Post subject: Re: Newbie here
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:15 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Which Hobie 21 is it, there is a Hobie 21 sport cruiser and a Hobie 21 SE. The Hobie 21SE is a sweet ride, but is a ton of boat. I have two friends with them and they were meant to go fast. They are a bit of a pain to set up as you have to expand them each time because of the 10' beam. Common problem's I've heard of with these boats is that parts haven't been made for a very long time and are hard to come by. Also the sockets that the wings slip into tend to get cracks which cause leaks. No big deal, you just have to fix them. These boats can be single handed in the right conditions (light air), but both of my friends need help setting them up.

I sailed with one friend in San Diego bay this past April and had a blast, we then took made the crossing from San Pedro over to Catalina Island.

I also crewed for my buddy with a Hobie 21SE in a Division 3 regatta in Sausalito this June and we recorded a top speed of 32.2 miles per hour on his GPS.

I would imagine that on the great lakes a Hobie 21 would be awesome! I'd also consider a Hobie 18, also out of production but Hobie still makes parts for them and they're much more common than the H21.

Take care, and good luck finding that new boat!

Adam

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:35 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Adam thanks for that I will look for a 18 then, but does it matter what year.? I have been seeing 1977s but isnt that to old?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

What about a Nacra 5.0 is this a Hobie i see some for 2k

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:38 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

NACRA is another manufacturer. I don't really know anything about them. From what I understand they're more of a race boat, and not as much of a family boat.

As far as 1977 boats they in theory could be just fine, someone that took really good care of it and always kept it in the garage. They could also be realy old and you'll put a ton of money into them.

I'd check out some old posts here and see what people say about buying a boat, and what to check out. Be patient, I thought I had missed the oppertunity of a life time last summer with a very well pampered 1985 H18 with formula wings, about a month later I found an even more pampered 1999 H18sx that was even more pampered.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:52 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I would recommend the 18 with wings if you need the extra room. If you get the 21 you won't get past the sand dune at beach 10 on lake Erie to launch it and that's where almost all the cats launch from. If you're out of Pittsburgh you will probably want to sail out at Lake Arthur too, last Sat we had 13 cats there 3 18's and the rest were 16's. If you want to get rides on a 16 and 18 to help make you mind up email me. [email protected]
This weekend looks kind of light on wind for us, still hoping it might change.

79' H16 Green Lightning

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Cool i will email you then! I am going up to Sandusky ohio to demo a Windrider trimaran!