Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:38 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all,

I've just been to look at a 20 I'm considering buying. I am trying to date the boat - the seller says it's an '05. The number is CCMP0589H8PP. From reading the FAQ I think it's a '98 but the number doesn't seem to entirely conform to the regular format. Maybe Matt or someone from Hobie could weigh in on this? Also the boat has a few nicks and bumps in the hulls which adds to my belief that it's older.

All input appreciated, Duncan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Is this the boat beig sold in New Jersey?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:17 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

catjunkie wrote:
Hi all,

I've just been to look at a 20 I'm considering buying. I am trying to date the boat - the seller says it's an '05. The number is CCMP0589H8PP. From reading the FAQ I think it's a '98 but the number doesn't seem to entirely conform to the regular format. Maybe Matt or someone from Hobie could weigh in on this? Also the boat has a few nicks and bumps in the hulls which adds to my belief that it's older.

All input appreciated, Duncan

The "P"s are "9"s and the "H" is really meant to be an "A"

CCM P 0589 A899

Built in August (A) of '98 as a '99 model year boat.

Look closely at the engraving and especially compare hull to hull. With hand engraving, the characters are not always clear or perfect.

It's definitely not an '05.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for all the replies. This is pretty much what I thought - it's a 1999 model year that was built in '98. Overall the thing appears to be in pretty good shape. I couldn't find any soft spots on the hulls or cracks around where the crossbars connect. There are very fine hairline cracks around the rudder mounts but they are just in the gelcoat. The sails, rudders and dagger boards have all been stored inside and are in excellent shape. I only have one real reservation about it. The dagger board wells are bit 'ragged' on the bottom - it's not a smooth edge. Is this a problem? Since the boat has been stored outside in Canadian winter has moisture gotten in there and then frozen and split the fiberglass? My real worry here is substantial leakage . . . I think it's been sitting outside for the last 13 winters.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The rough edge on the daggerboard is probably not a problem. Hard to say without seeing it in person but most likely not an issue. There is a fairly sharp curve where the hull turns up into the daggerboard trunk and sometimes when the hulls are built, the fiberglass cloth does not stay in full contact with the radius of the curve - it bridges across creating a void. If, later on, the edge is impacted (usually from beaching or from the trailer rollers) then the gelcoat breaks and leaves a rough edge. If it bothers you, flip the boat over and fill the voids with gelcoat and then fair it out.

sm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:35 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks SRM. That makes me feel more comfortable with it. But I'm still irritated that the boat was advertised as an '05. I've made an offer on the boat but for less $$ than if it was an '05.