Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:30 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

My new Hobie Adventure Island tends to scoop up water through the lifting handles when healed over. The water collects in the seat well. Also the drain plugs leak. The plug threads are incomplete and the "O" ring might not seat well.

I am 6' 2" and the seat back sits low on my back. To solve the drain and support problems I decided to raise the seat. Since there are no plug holes I had to drill through the back of the seat well.

To add some support to the lower back rest I added a polyethelene pad. This might be a little overkill.

To raise the bottom two 1.5" foam pads under the seat.

http://dogslifeadventures.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:09 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Has anyone tried to fit self bailing bungs to the scupper holes? I have been thinking about it for while.

http://www.biasboating.com.au/p-2245-internal-mount-self-bailer-bung.aspx

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:14 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

a couple of other options

http://www.discountmarinesupplies.com/Seadog_Round_Scuppers.html

http://www.seachoice.com/productdetail/ProdDetail-38619.asp

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Dogs. I noticed in your last shot you have something wedged in underneath the handle ?? Does it work ? If not, I found that this does and is a simple fix...

viewtopic.php?f=69&t=35258&p=143547&hilit=splash#p143547

Have you given the new seat a good test yet ?

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:57 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Slaughter,

I formed a piece of minicell foam (glued in) to fit the back part of the handle. It is almost invisible and I can still use the handle to hold on to. It keeps the water from scooping up and going past the bungee post depression. Works except at higher speeds when the whole handle submerges.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Paul,
Nice solution. 8)
I too got tired of sitting in water and getting splashed by water so I got a pair of these:
They are very comfortable because the Paclite Goretex breaths very well. I don't care how much water sits in the seatwell now because I remain dry. The cycle specific cut makes for comfortable pedaling and the velcro calf adjustment stops splash getting in. They are expensive but I get a dual use out of them riding my MTB.
I liked them so much I also got the full length pants for the colder months. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Water bad, but inevitable. I do two things. I sit on a standard coast guard approved type IV cushion like this http://reviews.cabelas.com/8815/940953/ ... ort=rating
...and wear the pants like stringy suggests. I really like the bib form of the same thing. These are sweet enough at $145: http://www.gilldirect.com/Products/382- ... phite.aspx
...I do not use the standard Hobie seat, but the cushion works really well with a PVC seat because you don't need access to the locking holes: http://www.myadventureisland.com/p/high ... sland.html. (Plus, you get back support, a way to get the main sheet out of your face, and a place to hang stuff)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I think halibu77 come up with a solution for the water we all have to sit in.
It involves small pipe , a T piece sitting into the seat drain holes, pipe coming out the bottom , L piece attached to a small length of slashed pipe which acts like a syphon.
Sounds simPle .
Ill have a look for the article and post it up.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:39 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

thebarber wrote:
It involves small pipe , a T piece sitting into the seat drain holes, pipe coming out the bottom , L piece attached to a small length of slashed pipe which acts like a syphon. Sounds simPle .
Even simpler -- a piece of packing tape (note forward is left; there is a gap on the right):
Works beautifully! 8)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks RR. I was just wondering what to do tonight.

Now where was that tape ?

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:26 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I love the tape idea. I was thinking about doing something similar with my plastic welder but never got around to it. The tape is much simpler. Now we have to find a more permanent tape.

The principle works like a self bailer on a small sailboat. As the water flows past the gap on the aft side of the tape a low pressure is created, a venturi that draws the water out of the drain hole. This is a example of Bernoulli's Principle.

One thing. This principle only works while the boat is moving. Stop to fish and the water will back flow. Now how to come up with a back flow preventer???

Going out today. Time to get out the packing tape...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:13 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

A small spring loaded flapper valve that opens due to the pressure deferential caused by the water movement?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:12 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Fly4v wrote:
A small spring loaded flapper valve that opens due to the pressure deferential caused by the water movement?
Yes, any small flapper, umbrella or duckbill valve should work. I don't think a spring is necessary.

Here's a flapper version of such a valve. Ideally it would fit inside the drain plug, but this should do:

The valves were removed from an old gas siphon hose -- available at most auto parts stores:

1. Remove the drain retention plastic and file the bottom end of the plug smooth.
2. Drill a small hole through the top of the plug.
3. Epoxy valve assembly to the end of the drain plug.
4. Reinstall plug into drain scupper.

So far it passes the blow test and installs cleanly in the boat. I'll hope to give it a trial run sometime next week, but will keep a lookout for a slightly smaller valve in the mean time.

Note -- this should be used with Bernoulli's packing tape (or equivalent) so any water will siphon out with forward motion. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:20 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Went out yesterday and the tape idea WORKS !!!

The drainage is slow but the only time I had any water under the seat is when I was taking on a lot of water over the bow. Yesterday was a very windy day.

I used Aluminum Air Conditioning Duct sealing tape. Why??? Because I am working on my A/C ducts and that is what I had in the garage. The thought is that the tape is stiffer than packing tape. The aft gap will not collapse under pressure. I also applied the same tape to the rear well scupper holes. While sailing I dumped water in and watched it drain. Like I said slow, but it does work. No big gulps of water coming in. Checked the tape after 20 mile sail and there is minimal ware. I figure that i can get several trips out of the tape before replacement.

I also need to rethink my raised seat back idea. The Hobie seat has a bump below the inflatable pad. This bump is pushing into my back. I will first try adding some support padding along the bottom.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Roadrunner,
Another great innovation that Hobie should be implementing. 8)
Looking forward to the test results.
PS-Your tape idea dates back quite a few years and was something longtime forum members were aware of. I wonder how best to keep good ideas like this current for new generation members and save you the task of re-posting?