Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Gringo wrote:
This one fogs up within 15-20 minutes of turning it on and buttoning it up in the housing, if it's in video mode.

Another question, I saw that the r3 mode is supposed to be good for slow motion playback, at 60 fps. When tried that, the playback is normal speed. So does that spec mean that it plays back in slow motion if you have video processing software to slow it down? Which you can do in any mode. I guess I am not yet seeing any difference in 30 fps vs 60 fps in playback, and I would expect to.

As I mentioned before the fogging is a known problem made worse in humid regions. The pads should help. Did you try the airconditioner vent trick? Closing the case in the dry stream of air from the car's aircon was all we had before the pads were released and it works.
In R3 mode @60fps slomo is achieved in software. I use Sony Vegas Studio and its a simple matter of holding ctrl down while dragging the clip to lengthen it in the timeline. Making the clip twice as long gives you very clear 30fps slomo as the software is using real frames and not interpolating the extra frames if it was filmed at 30fps.
All you need to know about the GoPro can be found here:
http://goprouser.freeforums.org/questio ... ly-f4.html

Post subject: GoPro fogging?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As I mentioned, I haven't had any fogging even when the sealed camera as been running video for more than an hour. I am confused on why the camera may be fogging up when getting warmer. Condensation occurs when ambient temperatures decrease below the dew point (100% relative humidity). I have had regular lenses fog up when I have moved from a cold outside and then into a moist warm house. When your car interior windows fog up, running hot air over the glass clears the condensation.
The GoPro fogging problem seems to be exactly opposite anything I have ever encountered.
Any experts, here, have a real answer?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here is a very good video on how to prevent fogging:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhsm7tMyuPk

I appears that it is NOT the heating from the camera that causes the
fogging, but the cooling of the interior as you have the camera out on the water.
A lot of Google threads about GoPro fogging...I didn't realize so many people have been having problems.

I guess I have just been lucky.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tidalwave -you have indeed been lucky. Maybe you don't live in a very humid environment?
The definitive GoPro anti-fogging topic -14 pages :shock:
http://goprouser.freeforums.org/stickie ... ng-t6.html
This from Rambo the GoPro guru who moderates the site-
'Two things that will ruin your video more than anything else, water droplets or dried salt on the lens and fogging from the inside caused by the heat generated by the GoPro and cool air outside.'

RainX helps with water droplets on the outside of the housing lens.
Antifog can help with condensation on the inside of the housing lens but the best solution is to dry the air inside the case before closing it such as in the aircon stream.
The fogging I've had has been due to the camera heating the humid air trapped inside the housing. It condenses inside the lens because glass is a better heat conductor than polycarbonate. If the air is dry inside the case then no fogging occurs.
Other remedies include adding various moisture absorbers or in the case of the aluminium foil a better conductor than glass so droplets form on the foil and not the lens. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

So far, I have shot about 8 hrs of video using the same set of their anti-fog strips. I am not sure when to change them, as they don't seem to change color or anything that I can see. There is an indicator that comes in the bag with them new, but it doesn't tell you the state of the ones in the camera. But so far I've run four batteries dry shooting sunrises and storms and sunsets to turn into timelapse.

By the way, if you put a little strip of filament tape up the back of the battery and double it over, it forms a tab that makes it real easy to get the battery out of the camera.

I agree the condensation is on the glass because it's different than the plastic, but I think it's the opposite. Glass is a lousy thermal transfer medium. the glass is cooler inside because it insulates it's inside surface from it's outside surface. It's cooler than the plastic's inside surface and hence the condensation. think beer can.
moisture condenses on the cooler surface. Cooler air near the cool surface cannot hold as much moisture in suspension as warmer air elsewhere.
Or did I get it wrong?

Post subject: One button set-up?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I contacted GoPro and they recommended installation of their anti-fogging strips.
They also inquired as to whether or not I had set the 'one-button-on' function.
If one-button-on is selected, you can only turn the video on and off...the capability of taking individual photos is disabled.
GoPro mentioned that using the one-button-on significantly decreases interior camera heating and thus decreases fogging. This function is included on newer GoPro Hero HD models and I was told that the the upgrade/firmware can be inputted into older cameras from the GoPro website.
When I first setup my GoPro, I chose the one-button-on because I have a water-proof point-and-shoot-zoom hand-held camera I prefer to use because of its much higher resolution. So perhaps by using that set-up is one of the reasons I have not had noticeable fogging.