Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mounting Outriggers
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:15 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just received set of stabilizers from Spring Hill after reading some of the posts in this forum. I have a 2004 Hobie Tandem and the photos I have seen shows the outriggers placed fairly far aft just forward of the rudder position. The model Tandem that I have has the sail mount in the middle of the forward seat position so sailing solo is the only option. Has anyone tried placing the stabilizers further forward -- say closer to the mast? This would seem closer to center of balance.

Also, I tried the "lash down" temporary mount described by another member of this forum and managed to snap off the clip at the end of the bungee lashing on the aft deck. Next I will try lashing down with line. Toscho Gulf Shores, AL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi toscho Welcome :lol:

That might be the most stable point to place the outriggers but what if you have to paddle.

Hobie is coming out with a set of outriggers shortly.

Apalach has done the most experimentation with outriggers on this forum that I have read.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey toscho,
First off-a hearty welcome to the Hobie Forum-great folks and great info here. I built outriggers using PVC, RAM rod-holders, and lobster pot buoys. They work great, and are easy to transport and store. Here are a couple of pics as they are mounted on my (wife's) Sport, and my OB.

And here are a few links:

Outback:
http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=1548

Sport:
http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2431

Best,
Dick

Post subject: Spring Creek Stabilizers
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks to those who responded to my question about mounting the stabilizing outriggers on a Hobie Mirage Tandem. I decided to mount the Spring Creek Outfitters kit athwart the cross-piece between the fore and aft seat positions. With the sail rigged it worked and sailed beautifully. There was only a trifle of interference with the paddle stroke -- and with the sail and Mirage drive the only paddling I do is to go in reverse when necessary. Although a bit pricey, I do recommend this system. The feeling of stability and control is teriffic! When ordering this kit from Spring Creek be sure to ask for well-nuts if you plan on mounting the stabilizers in an area from which you do not have access from inside the hull Measure the area where you plan to mount carefully and outline with marker exactly where you want to place the brackets for the UR (Universal Receiver). Center the base plate and use a punch to mark the point where you want to drill. The ultimate hole will be drilled with a 1/2 inch bit, but start out drilling no more than a 1/8 inch "pilot" hole and work your way up. The rubber "sleeve" of the well nut will fit snugly and I found it easy to seat by inserting the bolt and screwing down lightly before putting on the base plate. Seems to be watertight. I adjusted the pontoons just a tad above the water line for sailing and it seemed to work well. Going to windward I could point at least 45 degrees and tacking aided by the pedal drive was a snap. Now I am looking for a Hobie Adventure with the new drive system to add to the flotilla. Toscho Gulf Shores, AL

Post subject: Apalach Cooler
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey, Apalach, I just looked again at the photos you posted with this thread and noticed the cooler with the rod holders mounted behind the seat. Is this product available commercially, or is it another of your innovations? It looks like something I would like to add in case I want to go fishing. Toscho

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 8:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yep toscho--just another one of my mods. Here is a link where I describe all the gory details, based on the Igloo 25 qt. marine cooler:

http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2428

Post subject: Big Mistake!!
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 4:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Disregard my last post on mounting the Spring Creek Outfitters stabilizers (outriggers, amas) on Hobie Mirage Tandem. Went out today in fairly brisk wind (12 to 15 mph) and everything was going fine until the well nuts gave way and the entire assembly popped out. Do not == repeat -- do not drill !/2 inch holes! The rubber sleeves pulled right out of the hull under pressure from heeling. Managed to lose both extender arms in a subsequent capsize while trying to deal with the mess. Don't ask! Fortunately the disaster occurred in shallow water and I hope I can go back tomorrow to retrieve them -- I didn't notice they were missing until I was too far away to return. Live, screw up and learn. Maybe a martini will help my disposition (one is not enough, but two is too many) :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 4:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

toscho,
Wow--sorry to hear that--it has to be really disappointing, to say the least! I have heard that well nuts can pull out if stressed enough, but not sure what else might work if you don't have in-hull access. I had thought earlier when I was installing mine, that perhaps one of these expansion bolts/screws that you insert into your wall and then the spring-loaded flange pops out as soon as it passes thru the sheet rock might work inside a hull. Would probably not be stainless steel, but there might even be a supplier of this out there somewhere. Since you already have the holes drilled, you might want to look into that possbility, assuming you can locate your rig. But, don't give up on the idea--I'll betcha you can retrofit with a new approach and some new hardware if you are so inclined.
Good luck,
Dick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Toscho!

Sorry to hear about your problems mounting the Hobie outriggers. The well nuts as you learned are not dependable. Another alternative is to get access to the interior of the hull and use through bolts with a backing metal plate. I did this on a friend's Outback by installing a 4" deck plate nearest the area where I wanted to mount hardware for a leeboard that I made for him. The discription and pix can be found on this blog subject listing: "Here's a leeboard for the Outback". This just might be the strongest way to mount your new outriggers. Good luck!

Norman Ernsting aka Punchinello

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:10 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the tip, Norman. I tried once more with the well nuts using Gorilla Glue applied to the well nut flanges. Came right out again. Only place I have thru hull access on the Tandem is just aft of the rear seat. I can mount the brackets there, but it will make use of the paddle more difficult. Think I will stick with the "lash down" method for the time being. BTW, I am using the Spring Creek outriggers not the new ones offered by Hobie. Those were not available when I decided on the addition.

Also, for the second time I lost the plastic mast fitting that inserts into the hole in middle of the forward seat and will not sailing until that is replaced or I can figure out a jury rig. I wrote Hobie about it and they replied that they had not received any other complaints about these coming out. Maybe I'm just having a run of bad luck. Thanks again. Tom S

Post subject: Mounting Outriggers
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Reluctant to try Outback sail kit without amas (Canadian availability lags) for
fear of capsizing. Already had inflatable amas from Folbot GII, and did some back yard engineering to adapt them. I don't fish, so cut short sections of ABS pipe to fit in stern rodholders. Bolted 6'6" length of aluminum tube to the ABS, with smaller aluminum tube inside both at bolt location for reinforcement. This crossbar cut in half, fitted with smaller inside tube portruding and snap button, short halves easier to transport in car.
ABS pipe sections have hole drilled in portruding top, through which goes 1/4" nylon rope, retained by figure 8 knot on inside end. Rope is looped around crossbar, down through a stainless padeye and to a clamcleat, which are throughbolted on the vertical surface just aft of the cooler
location. Didn't want fasteners portruding from the deck as I slide the kayak inverted onto roof racks.
The Folbot ama brackets slide into the ends of the crossbar and are secured by a snap button.
Had some concern about kayak wanting to tip with amas so far back, but in very gusty conditions on Lake Scugog, it worked beautifully, and the ama location doesn't interfere with paddling. She had a bone in her teeth most of the afternoon!
Entire system can be dismantled and removed in seconds, leaving just the padeyes and cleats, which are out of the way,
Source for the aluminum tubing was a discarded telescopic pool skimmer.
Surprised to find, when sailing, even leisurely pedalling adds to speed.
Only wish the rudder had a few more square inches.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

looie,
Welcome to the Hobie site, and congrats on your new amas--sounds as if your engineering worked beautifully. Now--how about some pics?? A lot of us would love to see how you went about it. Thanks for the report.
Best,
Dick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:22 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Ioooe,

I Already found a solution to increase size of rudder and also added a daggerboard. Both already tested with really good results. Easy and quick removable while sailing. Here´s the link with some pics:

http://kite-kayaking-de-los-buenos.blogspot.com/

I´m now trying to make my own ama kit. As Apalach says, would be nice to see some detailed pics of your amas as it can be inspiration for us.

Best,

Eliseo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:35 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Eliseo wrote:
Hi Ioooe,

I´m now trying to make my own ama kit. As Apalach says, would be nice to see some detailed pics of your amas as it can be inspiration for us.

Best,

Eliseo

Have photos on Photobucket, but not sure how to link them here.

Outback:[img][img]http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l257/jan_db/amas2004.jpg[/img]
[/img]

OK, that seems to work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:39 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Apalach wrote:
looie,
Welcome to the Hobie site, and congrats on your new amas--sounds as if your engineering worked beautifully. Now--how about some pics?? A lot of us would love to see how you went about it. Thanks for the report.
Best,
Dick

Thanks for the welcome - I have posted photo of the entire rig, crossbar mounting, and the folbot ama.