Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trailex for TI
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:59 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi all,

I've been lurking for a few weeks since the TI first caught my eye to get all the information I can prior to making a purchase. The boat itself doesn't cause me any confusion, but the trailer is proving to be a different matter.

My nearest dealer says he has never sold a trailer and for me to call Trailex direct. I called Trailex and was told that the SUT 200-S is not what I want, that they make a trailer specifically for Hobie and that they can't sell it directly to me, that I must purchase through a Hobie dealer.

I move on to the next closest dealer.... he has an AI sitting out front on a SUT 200-S exactly as pictured on Trailex's web site, complete with dents in the hull from sitting on the standard SUT 200-S pads, rather than the Hobie cradles for an AI. Not impressed, so I move on again.

Third dealer away from me... has never sold a trailer so needless to say is clueless about them.

Fourth dealer away.... this is not a bicyle shop or pellet stove store, but an actual dedicated marine product dealer, and is on the water no less! Problem is he wants $1500 for the trailer. The Hobie/Trailex trailer with Hobie cradles, including shipping, is $1,168.95 from Austin Kayak. I realize he wants money for assembling the trailer, but over $330 for said assembly seems rather steep to me. IIRC correctly, he also said I would have to pay $45 for a temp tag to get it home, which I wouldn't have to do if I order from ACK making it over $375 more expensive.

If I purchase the Hobie Single Kayak Trailer, with the Hobie Cradle Set for a Tandem Island from ACK, what else do I need to actually use this trailer?

I am going to see dealer #4 tomorrow and would like to be armed with this answer so I can make an informed decision on whether or not to pay his price, or to order from ACK. What options/mods/accessories might he be including causing his price to be higher?

Thanks,

Herb

Post subject: Re: Trailex for TI
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:56 pm 
Site Admin

ACK is apparently not charging you for the inbound freight costs or cost of freight to you which is substantial... so the actual cost of labor to assemble is less than the total difference in costs shown.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Tell trailex u have a home made boat! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hello Delaware Coastie,

Have you tried Chessie Marine, just south of Elkton, MD? We bought our TI there in the spring, and they ordered and assembled the Trailex with the Hobie cradles, for the catalog parts prices plus a minimal shipping cost. There is also a Sunoco station nearby that will balance the 8" wheels -- essential if you are planning any high speed trailering. We took ours to south Florida in March without any problems.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:42 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks for the Chessie Marine tip - they are the same distance as "dealer #4", but a much easier drive from here.

I am still wondering, is anything else required in addition to the trailer and cradles?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Herb,

To respond more directly to your question, one thing you will want to add to the Trailex [or probably to any TI trailer], is a pair of plow-end wands so you can see where your boat is when you look behind you.

I got the 48" variety http://www.easternmarine.com/Snow-Plow-Accessories/ but there are shorter ones available also.

As you can see from this photo [Oleta River State Park, North Miami] they do not interfere with launching in any way.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:39 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm curious about your registration - do you use a motor?

I thought we didn't need registration if we don't use a motor.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you are towing with a pickup truck like I do, you can just lower the tailgate when launching or landing with the trailer to see it well.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Quote:
I'm curious about your registration - do you use a motor?

I thought we didn't need registration if we don't use a motor.

Great observation, and true in Delaware waters.

Florida, however, requires the registration of non-auxiliary-powered sailboats that are more than 16' in length, and I've seen mention of being the subject of enforcement of this provision posted somewhere on this forum by a Florida TI sailor. Florida does honor out-of-state vessel registration if one is visiting. Alternatively, one must register the boat in Florida.

Since we travel back & forth between Delaware & Florida, registering the Hobie in Delaware is the less costly option for us.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have the double with accessory tower, which I use to tell where the trailer is when I back up. My boat and trailer are both registered. Check your local laws. Oh and by chance aux Coast Guard were doing boat inspections, so now I have a boat safety sticker.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

i got stopped by harbor patrol yesterday - they were just curious what the heck I was riding on and whether I made it myself. They clocked me at 7mph constant :mrgreen:

... both thought it was the coolest boat on the water 8)

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I am a new owner of a TI and Trailex and went through some of the same questions/learning process. I ended up buying the trailer and cradles from the dealer but I picked it up from them and did the asssembly.

I ended up buying a spare 8" tire from a local "Northern Tool" shop and modded a standard bracket to carry it. From Trailex I bought an additional roller thingy for the back to avoid any nasty scrapage if the boat comes off or on at sharp anlges. Also got some "bearing buddies" from Trailex because I wanted to make sure these tiny tires didn't lose lube and overheat. Oh yeah, and I got a fiberglass reflective pole (meant for driveways?) to see the trailer when my boat was off. Only need one really since you know how wide the trailer is and what side the marker is on.

I hauled it about 300 miles at up to 75mph with no problems.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

KevNC wrote:
I hauled it about 300 miles at up to 75mph with no problems.

... not trying to be a smartypaints but as someone who trailers heavy (6-7000#) please look for a speed rating on your trailer tires. Heat is what kills the tires and heat buildup (along with improper/under inflation) is proportional to speed.

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:57 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

To answer my own question from my original post, if one purchases the Hobie Single Kayak Trailer and the Hobie Cradle Set for a Tandem Island, the only other "must have" to transport your boat is tie down straps.

After much thought on the matter, I opted to follow sun E sailor's lead and purchased a SUT-350-S from Trailex and have set it up using his trailer as a guide (AS SEEN HERE). I haven't made it to the mast carrier yet, but that is next on the drawing board after I get a boat to hold this trailer down.

I did use a different tie down system - I used 1/4 X 4" stainless eyebolts on the crossbars and am using THESE as an interface between my tie down straps and the eye bolts.

Thanks again for all the help s E s!

Thanks also go out to bluehen for turning me on to Chessie Marine - I'm picking up my new boat from them Friday morning :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I am a Florida TI owner and was specifically told by the DMV and dealer that the TI does not require registration as it is considered a kayak and not a sailboat. Seems like we have a grey area here. Anyone else have input?