Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Camera Tripod Mount
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Quote:
So Ron, why did you get an AI when you already had a Fulmar? Was it the Mirage drive?

ChrisJ, Although similar, they are very different boats...even the TI (now that I've sailed one) is similar but has very different sailing characteristics...like most sailboats...I would love to have a mirage drive on the Fulmar...it had a pedal drive that I removed because of problems with the chain drive and the outboard leg would drag a bit on a port tack slowing the boat a bit...I recently added a Hobie Bravo sail and did some work on the daggerboard trunk and she really moves faster than before...I've had her up to 18 mph in a puff...she will cruise at 10 to 12 easily in 10 to 15 knts of wind...

My wife wanted a boat of her own so we got the AI's...she loves her AI...the mirage drive, folding the ama's...etc makes for a very fun boat...and very versatile...

CaptRon
"Anything's gonna happen,
it's gonna happen out there"

Post subject: Re: Camera Tripod Mount
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Stringy wrote
Quote:
so I'll keep working on a motor mount. :)

Let us know what you come up with on the motor mount...sounds interesting...

CaptRon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I thought I would broaden the scope of this post to include other methods of mounting cameras so feel free to add any ideas! :)

After watching Rhino's video in the trailering post:
posting.php?mode=reply&f=71&t=11367
I thought I would try the GoPro mounted on a pole. I hadn't realised how stable a pole mount is and thought the GoPro without image stabilization would be very jerky.
How wrong I was. :oops:
I mounted the GoPro using the seat post mount straight to the end of a 2m telescopic tent pole. We tried it out in flukey Westerly winds and I was amazed at how good some of the clips were. Once I work out a way to easily tell where the camera is pointing without looking up at it I think this system has real potential. A directional handle should solve that.
The winds varied from nothing to sudden 15-20 knot gusts and we had a blast. I furled the sail and had great rudder control. The clips were taken when the wind had died down a bit. I wasn't confident holding the pole when the strong gusts came up. Shame really as we missed some great opportunities to get some great clips. That is probably the pole mounts biggest negative.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsoZEK9pzmg[/youtube]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Very cool Stringy!...I'll have to try that...I need to figure a way to attach my GoPro to the top of my mast looking down at the boat

CaptRon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Stringy, I've been thinking about something similar myself. What is a "seat post mount"?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well done mate, that looks choice. I think the wide angle must take alot of the movement out of the shot cause I know my camera at that length would be all over the place.

And it's nice to know you are also doing the gentlemanly thing of sitting at the rear :wink:

I've just completed something similar. My pole isn't as long as your pole....... but it is also telescopic. I made it free standing and at arms reach so that I can reach over and pivot it. I havent tried it yet, hopefully this weekend, but I have some reservations about how stable it will be. My camera isn't fish eye either so I know I wont get all the AI or the driver in the shot. But that's OK, I'm not as photogenic as you. :lol:

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Fantastic video. So clear I could see the moon. Nice music too.

Couple things stood out.

1. If the camera up post was just a little higher, or angled back some, it would really take the pole out of the shot. Even though it looks great now. Is this feasible?

2. A helmet-cam alternating with the stick would give you amazing points of view and you could use both your hands to sail the challenging stuff. Let the missus wear the hat and that's another hands-free POV.

3. What's the bow lines for? Are you beta testing a new product - the Hobie "Ama Keepers"?

4. You are using my "Hobie sandbags as ballast" idea aren't you? :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ron,
Thanks for that. This GoPro accessory is perfect for mounting to the top of the mast:
Roll cage mount for tubes 1.4"-2.5"
I got one with this in mind but haven't used it yet due to the difficulty of use way up there atop the mast. An advantage of the mast top mount would be the turn by furl ability.

Max,
This is the mount I used on the tent pole. The polemounted GoPro was something I knocked up 5 minutes before we left and I was amazed by the results.
Handlebar/seatpost mount for tubes 0.75"-1.4"

More info on the GoPro mounts here: http://www.goprocamera.com/products/?area=2

Slaughter wrote:
But that's OK, I'm not as photogenic as you. :lol:

How is that scar coming along? :shock: :wink:
Thanks Slaughter. You're right about the wideangle reducing the shake.
Any pics of your pole mount? I was trying to find a pic of your aka mount. Is there one?

Thanks Nohuhu,
Your right about eliminating the pole. I think it could be done with a short extension at 90 degrees or so to the pole tip. I was surprised how unobtrusive the pole was though. It was a fluke setup with surprisingly good results considering I thought of it just before we left. The problem with the GoPro is that there is no viewfinder -so accurate framing is hit or miss.
The ideal setup would be to have 4 cameras. One on the tripod, one atop the mast, one on the head and one on the pole. At US$299 each that's not so out of reach, especially when you consider the quality of the video. No wonder these little cameras are so popular.
The bow lines are for a sprayskirt idea I'm working on similar to KBobs but mounted through the PVC pipes I use to make the AI tramps fit.
You are partly right about your Hobie sandbags except I'm not using any sand! :wink:
Actually the drybags contain stuff we might need during our trip -like clothing and food. They are all attached to a paddle leash and my wife swaps them to the windward side during tacks.
I was doing the same on our earlier Broughton Island return trip and found it worked well. :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

stringy wrote:

Slaughter wrote:
But that's OK, I'm not as photogenic as you. :lol:

How is that scar coming along? :shock: :wink:
Thanks Slaughter. You're right about the wideangle reducing the shake.
Any pics of your pole mount? I was trying to find a pic of your aka mount. Is there one?

Scar is real good, almost gone thanks mate.

I tried out my camera mount at the weekend. Not as much shake as I expected but still needs some refinement before I'm game to post a clip. I used PN25 with adjustable unions to get the telescoping and although it worked OK and adjusts to get some good angles, it's not good enough yet to take on every outing, ie: advantage v's disadvantage.

P.S. I really like those GoPro clamps.......Hmmmmm.....

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hiyas
Great amount of input that as always will be a learning experience for anyone who cares to learn by example.

Here's what the pros use:

http://www.steadicam.com/

I've used one years ago. They do take study and practice to use them in their intended purpose (ie: no shakes)

Flaws:
1) Not waterproof and uses a huge cam that requires major counterbalancing.
2) Very expensive, even in the public use config.

Pros: I think if we use light weight action cams such as what is available on the market right now, the counterbalancing load is way less, thus less need for complexity.

Consider also, 'spy' cams are even less in weight having less of a footprint thus making a waterproof mantel far easier to consider.

Let's see?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

(Possible hate mail coming my way)

Kidding.

Some of the best on water footage was a major Hollywood disaster called "Waterworld"

Yah, I think we all agree, Kevin Kostner's agent should prolly be relocated to a 'Gulag' documentary in Siberia.

Yet the shots of those 2 Trimarans that they built in that flick were killer. It truly portrayed a life support system in a world gone straight to hell (too bad the Exon Valdez had make a show and wreck the movie, imo)

My own most memorable shots were from above mast height straight down onto the craft under sail.

That is one hard shot to get unless you use a Heli. I've studied the mast of the AI, I know we can add a stiff aluminum mast and get those 'heli' shots unavailable to us before.

Let's keep talking

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Another film that never made it into the Hollywood hot hit list was called "Wind"
Again dramatic film footage and razor sharp photography of vessels under sail made this film a standout.
As in any film, the Editor can make or break the film.
May I ask your preferred 'Weapon of Doooom' when you wipe the salt spray off your face and chill in the editing suite?

In the final result, all those tears shed for the scrapped footage matter little as you get the nod for the final edit. :D

Fred

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here's a 'Mini-Me' version of a Roll Bar mount that has a tiny enough footprint to fit on the top of the Masts:

http://www.actioncameras.co.uk/rollbar-mount.html

(Sort of looks like a mini-me version of a ram mount)

Regards
Fred

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Stringy
Great design to fit the tripod on the stern.
However, if you can get a tri without a 'center post', you'll have less chance of 'less movement based on the less parts that need tightening the more solid it will be' theory....whew catching my breath, lol

I've had nothing but problems with Anodized Aluminum Tripods in the past in salt water exposure. A lot of these items use non anodized rivets to hold the struts together. Those usually turn to grey dust and the whole mess falls to pieces as the rivets become the sacrificial anodes.

I'm re-thinking pvc: It's cheap, easy to source and can be played with in any number of configurations (including lead line (from crap traps) to solidify the structures.

Cheers m8
Fred