Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Pro Angler H-Bar
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think if the PA motor system that Hobie sells had been designed by Hobie it would be much simpler and far less expensive. Keep in mind that the EVolve isn't a Hobie product, it's sourced from another company. It's also a very nice unit, but I won't argue that the price is bound to keep many away from it. It did me and I'm pretty loose with money.

A stand up bar isn't hard to make provided you have the skills and the tools to make it - and can spare the time. I suppose anything close will function in the same way and no doubt many will just make their own. I've love to pick this item up for $50 but I doubt that'll happen. If the bar sells for under $150 I'll probably just buy one instead of spending a couple hours making one.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:57 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hey Tom, if you're that loose with money....wanna buy be a Pro Angler :D Be cheaper than building one :lol:

I agree though. If Hobie designed something like the Evolve, it would probably be half the price. Hopefully when the patent contract runs out; they will design something like it, and maybe even better :D

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the correction Tom. I had forgotten that the motor kit is not directly a Hobie product. Still, Hobie had to have contributed considerable input into the specification and design and could have steered them to a more reasaonable price range. I imagine low production volumes and expensive battery technology (driven by size and weight considerations) ended up driving the cost of goods and retail price.

I've been involved in product management and marketing for 25 years. If good marketing home work is done up front you can determine a viable price range for the product pretty accurately. Good, quantitative market research - such as a conjoint analysis - can make a huge difference in the utlimate success of a product. The conjoint tools I have used allow you to create sets of product specifications and predict sales performance.

Cheers,

Bob

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I certainly agree.

I wonder how many folks knew/know that the motor system sold by Hobie for use on the PA and other boats wasn't designed expressly for them. Torqueedo has been around for a pretty good while and call their motors "Electric Outboards." What they make for kayaks is just the tip of the iceberg. I may be wrong, but I suspect that Hobie just went looking for what was already available and came across the Torqueedo line and decided to source from them. Those motors and systems predate the PA and most other kayaks.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Your exactly right Tom, they found the absolute best electrical motor suitable for thier products...and went all they way to Germany to find it. torqeedo was established in 2005, not to long ago. hence the high pricing on the evolve. i dont believe Hobie has taken the easy way by sourcing the motor out, but rather did what many succesful campanies do, collaborate. your talking about two companies that offer two unique products...the mirage drive and a top of the line electric motor, now working together. so i do not think Hobie just went looking, otherwise they might of found you (which may of been the way to go, IMO :D) but indeed they knew what they were looking for.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

They went with the best (not necessarily most inexpensive) that was available at the time they were looking. I have no doubt that the Torqueedo electric "outboard" is an outstanding product.

The Lithium Manganese battery is something that can be used with any electric motor, provided the voltage matches the requirements of the motor. Torqueedo had the whole package, thus there was very little for Hobie to do. I certainly understand that it was the best way to get a complete set up out there as quickly as possible.

My guess is that at some point Hobie will have their own proprietary electric motor package that works great and costs far less than the Torqueedo package.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Excellent move by Hobie.

I have a bar on my Freedom Hawk 12, and it enables this 72 old guy to stand up, look and to cast. I can put a stripping basket on the bar for my fly line, or I can turn around and strip my line onto the top of the seat.

http://freedomhawkkayaks.com/freedom_12.php

http://freedomhawkkayaks.com/images/pro ... race-L.jpg

You can put fly rod holders and other rod holders on the bar as well as electronic gear.

My bad shoulder/arm and the winds we have put some severe limits on the use of my FH12 re distance from launch site and getting back.

I wish that Hobie would buy out Freedom Hawk and come out with a Mirage/Hobie version.