Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:08 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

i suppose you could try what they do w/our masts....

just put a foam plug at both ends (or all 3 w/your T action going on..)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

This looks great! Have you had the chance to test it out yet?

I'm curious how easily the boat comes back upright with the 7' pole under your weight. I'm planning on making one of these for myself, and at 160 lbs, need to figure out if I'll need a righting bag in addition to the pole...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thank you. I have yet to test the pole simply because the winds haven't been all that great here so far this summer and when it has been blowing I've been sailing. What I can report is the pole has been stowed securely underneath my tramp for about a month and I haven't had any issues with the pole banging around or coming loose from the waves. The pole is 100% water tight and yes, I'm happy to report that it floats very well, even with the wet support line and carabiners attached (an early concern I had).

I had planned on testing it out on Saturday after our race but the wind completely died shortly after we returned to the beach. Then, yesterday, we had sustained 15 knots all day but I had John Lunn and his family out on the boat all afternoon and I didn't want to surrender quality sailing time to tinker around with the pole. Maybe I'll test it this week - I am anxious to see how it works.

Have you see the Gary Friesen "Solo Right" video? Same concept, only I used different materials.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCbihZsXESg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Brian, pleasure to meet with you and a greater pleasure to sail with you.
My family had great fun, and we hope you enjoyed your hiking out.
Glad we did not have to use the righting pole, mind you, with 4 on board, it was unlikely. Long Island Sound is GREAT sailing.

thank you again, speak to you on the Forum.
On the road, in Boston....off to Halifax and the Maritimes....

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I can certainly understand wanting to sail when the wind is up rather than tinker with equipment!

I had seen the Solo-Right video, and was planning on building one, until I came across this thread. I think the aluminum one looks nicer and more durable, so if it floats and doesn't rattle around, I'll be building one of these instead! I figure if I make it as long as I can, I can always cut it down later if I don't need the full length.

Steve

BrianCT wrote:
Thank you. I have yet to test the pole simply because the winds haven't been all that great here so far this summer and when it has been blowing I've been sailing. What I can report is the pole has been stowed securely underneath my tramp for about a month and I haven't had any issues with the pole banging around or coming loose from the waves. The pole is 100% water tight and yes, I'm happy to report that it floats very well, even with the wet support line and carabiners attached (an early concern I had).

I had planned on testing it out on Saturday after our race but the wind completely died shortly after we returned to the beach. Then, yesterday, we had sustained 15 knots all day but I had John Lunn and his family out on the boat all afternoon and I didn't want to surrender quality sailing time to tinker around with the pole. Maybe I'll test it this week - I am anxious to see how it works.

Have you see the Gary Friesen "Solo Right" video? Same concept, only I used different materials.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCbihZsXESg

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

You really don't have to "fill" your tube to make it float...you only have to seal the major sections of it. Filling it will only add weight, it's not the foam that floats it's the air in the tube displacing water. I shoved a rubber ball about 6 inches down inside each end of my round tube, and then didn't drill any holes inside the area sealed by the balls. floats well
You can use 1 1/2 aluminum electrical conduit it's reasonably priced and available at any electrical supply store in almost any town. Lightweight and strong enough to work without any center support.
The tube is wrapped with friction tape like that used on hockey sticks or baseball bat handles and works well without being abrasive to skin or gelcoat or anything else, it's cheap, available at Dick's sporting goods, and offers all the traction I need to walk out on it.
I opted to fashion a pad on both ends working with wood instead of metal, which also helped solve the bouyancy problem, and that also eliminated having to go find someone to heliarc my load spreading pads onto the tube.
Also ,I tried storing my righting tube under the tramp several different ways...but it just drags in the water if it's wavy at all.. I am now storing my pole across the front of the dolphin striker, bungeed around the front crossbar on the 18 or pylons on my 16. I weigh 172 lbs and the 7 1/2 foot length stores well there, and allows me to right my 18 with sx wings without any help or waterbag, the wood on both ends is carpeted and rides very nicely there, up out of the water, and only catches waves that would have hit my dolphin striker or front crossbar (very rarely when you are solo on either boat).
My daggerboard end is formed by a scrap of 3/8 cedar plywood and only extends out 1" from the carpeted pad on that end, and it's slathered with liquid electrical tape ( the plasti-dip would be about the same stuff) that lets it jamb nicely into the slot between the dagger and the well and keeps it from sliding forward or back . The one inch rubberized extension also lets me use this very same unit to right my 16 by hooking it under the upper deck lip on that boat. Nice to have it available to use on both boats or throw it over to someone else, as it's equally accessible when the boat is right side up...
My first attempts with lexan were less productive ( cracked, slipped around, and I had issues with the bolt heads digging into my dagger) the wood construction eliminated the bolt heads too.
I

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Fastfriend can you post some pictures of your righting pole?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Appreciate the input, fastfriend, and ditto on the picture request. There's certainly more than one way to skin a cat. FWIW, I elected to add the foam and pool noodle inside mine in the event water does get inside (since I have two 5/16" fairlead holes drilled in the middle). Your experience with the splashing might be the result of your pole being about 8" longer than mine and thus longer than the tramp and cross beams i.e., it will extend beyond the cross bars one way or another unless you somehow secure it underneath at an angle (note: I sawed mine down to 70" which is still probably overkill from a righting standpoint but that length makes it very easy to stow).

Last Sunday we constantly had waves slapping the tramp (to the point of lifting us) and I found my pole location actually reduced the center lacing splash since it all but closes off the gap. Further, as best I can tell I am not getting any additional splashing over my front cross bar.

Thanks again for the input. Take care!

Last edited by BrianCT on Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

John Lunn C A wrote:
Brian, pleasure to meet with you and a greater pleasure to sail with you.
My family had great fun, and we hope you enjoyed your hiking out.
Glad we did not have to use the righting pole, mind you, with 4 on board, it was unlikely. Long Island Sound is GREAT sailing.

thank you again, speak to you on the Forum.
On the road, in Boston....off to Halifax and the Maritimes....

John, It was a pleasure meeting you, Laura and Marty. I'll talk to you when you get back so we can settle up on the harness. Enjoy!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Well, I finally got an opportunity to try out my righting pole the other week. I can't comment what is an appropriate length, but I CAN confirm that 1.5" OD x .062 wall thickness aluminum will buckle under my weight...

Time to go back to the drawing board!

1990 Hobie 18SX #2077

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Did you read my post in this forum " easy way to solo right your 18". There is another less complete one in the 16 forum also because my pole works just as well on my 16 as it does on my 18M. I am heavier than you at 175 lbs and have made several more righting poles for people, all are 7' long .....one is being used by my 250 pound nephew and he hasn't bent his after at least ten rightings over two seasons.....you need to make sure you are using 6061-T6 pipe, which is relatively inexpensive and alloyed to be stiff. If you started out with aluminum conduit it would fail...it's alloyed to be bendable by the electricians installing it.