Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am a new wave owner and go to Holden beach,NC every year. I would love to take the wave out and launch from the beach. Can anyone tell me if this is allowed generally a public beaches and is it pretty easy to do? I would assume I would just carry it out at a public access area. Any info here would be greatly appreciated!

Brad

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

It's always easier to ask forgiveness than permission! :lol: I don't know about North Carolina, but I have never had anyone say anyting to me on beaches on the norhtern Gulf Coast of Alabama and Florida. You could always call the local PD before you go. Cat Trax make life much easier whan launching from a beach.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I just started my second year launching my Hobie 16 from the Margate City, NJ beaches.

Beach launching is not simple and can be dangerous so use caution. Basically, you need to monitor the wind direction, the surf, swimmers, etc.

Ideally the wind will be blowing parallel to the beach so you can just point your boat directly into the waves and shoot over them and out. If it's blowing perpendicular to the beach then it could be difficult to get back out or get back in (depending on which way the wind is blowing.

I've seen accomplished sailors have their boats flipped in the surf. Also, once your mast is stuck in the sand, the waves keep coming so you can damage your boat.

Basically, be very careful and cautious.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

In heavy surf launching from a beach can be tricky. I've found that when the wind is perpendicular to the beach it's rarely exactly 90 degrees so you can sail off in one direction or another.

Bows into the waves, rudders half way down, push off, jump on, sheet in and take off. If a big wave comes dive for the front crossbar to hold on and get your weight forward.

I would agree it is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. Especially if you don't make too much of a project out of it. Unless there are signs that say "No Hobie Wave launching at this location."

http://www.sailsafaris.net
toll free(866)820-6906

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

unless it is clearly marked as a bird nesting area, anyone that has a problem needs to find real things to worry about