Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I can't figure out why this is happening. I've tried adjusting the length (shorter and longer) of my rudder cross bar, but it doesn't fix it. Any ideas?
I need to patch the chips, but need to find out how to fix it first.
Thanks a lot

Port:

Starboard:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This is a common issue on Hobie 18's, it is cause by the rudder being turned to hard, and the casting hitting the deck lip. Its not a structural issue, and wont make the boat leak.

If I were you I'd leave it and forget about it.

1992 Hobie Cat 18 #16943
Hobie Fleet 198, Rapid City, SD

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I agree w/ Tom ....

If it bothers you too much ... just install a piece of neoprene over the "chips" to act as a bumper. You can use the same stuff as is installed as "Non-Skid" on the gunwales ....

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:11 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Isn't there a stock Hobie "rudder stop" that will screw onto the rudder casting?... or am I thinking of another Hobie? It only went on one rudder and it was a large soft plastic bumper.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The stopper you're thinking of was on the H20. I've never seen it used on any other boats. I have a feeling it would hit the deck lip on the 18 and interfere with steering, not sure of that though.

Another idea would be to install a bump stop in the deck lip where the casting hits. McMaster Carr sells these.

sm

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:00 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I just use a piece of line to limit how far the rudders can turn. Tie one end around the yoke that connects the tiller extension to the tiller crossbar (I have one of those contoured pieces of plastic that come with the tiller connection kit installed between the yoke and the crossbar. Takes out some of the slop and also leaves enough space under the yoke to tie the line without impinging on the yoke's ability to rotate) and route the other end through the deadeye where you tie off the end of the traveler line. Then just tie your knot so that the rudders can't turn far enough to make contact with the hulls. (Stole that one from George Kuney)

Jim

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:21 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I just finished splicing up a preventer or leash as described above. Now I don't have to re-tie the line to the exact correct length each time I set the boat up. Now I just drop the eye splice over the yoke..........

And when I'm trailering, I use it to keep my traveler car from sliding around / out of the track....

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Great idea ! Thanks for the pictures too, they are so much more helpful to me than even a really good description.
The solution I came up with was along the lines of Harry's idea. I had some 1/2" rubber "feet" for some electronics I had laying around, and 5200'd them over the chips. They're holding up now, but who knows for how long.