Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Can somebody please explain the difference between the Batten Pocket End Protector Kit (Part #80550005) and the "Hobie" Protector kit (Part #12480001)? I have at least two plastic luff protectors that need to be replaced and I'm not sure what I need to order. What exactly comes with the kit(s)? Do I need both? How many do I need to order i.e., does a "kit" include hardware for all nine battens? Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Check the OPEN forum for a recent discussion called "Cracked batten protector warping and changing sails draft".

There are two different luff protectors and which one you use depends on your sail's age. I think it was changed sometime around the early 2000's. The old style (80550005) had four fasteners, the new style (12480001) has five fasteners and has "Hobie" molded into it. In my experience, the old style seemed to be much more robust than the new ones.

Both kits come with fasteners, however the new style uses rivets. The old style comes with screws/nuts so it's a more straightforward installation.

If this is for the sail you have shown in your signature, you would need the old-style protector (80550005). One kit does one batten pocket.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

srm wrote:
Check the OPEN forum for a recent discussion called "Cracked batten protector warping and changing sails draft".

There are two different luff protectors and which one you use depends on your sail's age. I think it was changed sometime around the early 2000's. The old style (80550005) had four fasteners, the new style (12480001) has five fasteners and has "Hobie" molded into it. In my experience, the old style seemed to be much more robust than the new ones.

Both kits come with fasteners, however the new style uses rivets. The old style comes with screws/nuts so it's a more straightforward installation.

If this is for the sail you have shown in your signature, you would need the old-style protector (80550005). One kit does one batten pocket.

Thanks a bunch! Yes, old-style for me. The ones that broke are connected with screws and nuts, not rivets (although I think there may be a Hobie "H" molded into one side - I'll check). Basically a $9 lit gets you both sides of the sandwich and all of the fasteners then, correct? Thanks again.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

BrianCT wrote:
Basically a $9 lit gets you both sides of the sandwich and all of the fasteners then, correct?

I think the one I did a few years ago may have come from Murrays, but it's the same dimensions as the old-style Hobie. It came with two halves of the sandwich and four brass screws/nuts. I recommend you install the fasteners with Loctite.

sm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:35 am 
Site Admin

The newer "Hobie" caps are robust. We went through some growing pains when they first came out, but are solid now.

The 5 rivets and the deeper pocket for the batten end help keep the battens in place for the masts without rotation stops... Wave, Getaway, 17 Sport etc.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Matt,

I like the kit w/ the brass nut/bolt hardware .... hands down !!!!

I don't always have a rivet gun in my back pocket ..... and to remove the rivets takes a pair of "nipper" pliers ... again someting I don't normally carry w/ me.

But I do always have a screwdriver and adjustable wrench in my toolbag ....

Just something to think about ......

Harry

PS: I need to replace one currently myself ... and need some spares .... I guess a trip over to Clews&Strawbridge is in order !!!!!

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

BrianCT wrote:
srm wrote:

Thanks a bunch! Yes, old-style for me. The ones that broke are connected with screws and nuts, not rivets (although I think there may be a Hobie "H" molded into one side - I'll check). Basically a $9 lit gets you both sides of the sandwich and all of the fasteners then, correct? Thanks again.

I was right, some of mine were branded by Hobie.....but only because I have a mishmash of protectors on my 26-year-old main. And yes, in my case it was the branded, rivet-style protectors that were broken. :lol: Granted, from the looks of them I suspect they're at least 10 years old, probably more.